Fjords sailing into Bergen?

I am a little geographically challenged in this area of the world and was wondering if you sail through fjords into Bergen. We will be coming form Kristansand. Hope we get to see some lovely scenery before we start our sail to Scotland.

As added background to what had been posted earlier, the area in and around Bergen is very nice and scenic. BUT, however, it does not have the natural beauty and "drama" as the real thing can offer in other parts of Norway. See my three pictures as a contrast below to illustrate these differences. Oslo is located that is reach via traveling a "fjord", but it is not at all close to like what it is in going to super scenic Flam or Geiranger.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,322 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

I don't know Terry, the sail into Oslo was far better than Bergen, and Oslo was pretty awesome. But it seems the OP may not be going to Oslo.

Not going to Oslo this cruise. Have been before but don't remember the sail in or out. Now Stockholm, that is a different story. Just magical!

I guess I will have to do the fjords another cruise and just enjoy what I can see on this one regardless of how spectacular it is or not. Thanks so all for their comments.

I don't know Terry, the sail into Oslo was far better than Bergen, and Oslo was pretty awesome. But it seems the OP may not be going to Oslo.

Agree that the sail-in to Oslo and around that area is very nice. My point is that Oslo's fjord is not as narrow and DRAMATIC as you would have in going to and back from Flam and Geiranger.

Below is one of my Oslo visual sample. Very good and enjoyable. One part of World War II history is the Oscarsborg Fortress that is positioned in a narrow area of the Oslofjord, close to the small town of Drøbak. This fortifications has been a natural point for the naval defense of Norway's capital. When Norway was invaded in April 1940, this fortress' armament (of German origin) helped to sink the German heavy cruiser Blücher and delayed their naval force's invasion. This allowed the Norwegian King and government to escape and avoid being taken prisoner.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 116,098 views for this posting.

Sailing out from Oslo with the red brick City Hall in the background and the surrounding areas and “hills” showing around this so-called “fjord”.:

1A-Oslo-SailingOut.jpg