Difference Between E1, E2, E3, D1, D2?

Okay, so they are all balcony cabins. I think the D ones are slightly bigger, correct? But what are the differences between the Es?

I think I have an E3 cabin, since that's the category listed on the group site and in the group e-mail for ppl who haven't signed up yet.

E cabins are smaller and E3 is on lower deck, then E2 is higher deck, and E1 on higher deck still, also where they are located on the decks. The same with category D's it is deck and location that makes the difference. D's are larger than E's so that is a factor too. I had a choice on Mariner to do a category E1 waaay at the front, or a midship D2 for 30.00 more per person. I chose the larger D2 on a lower deck.

I am not 100 percent positive but I do not think location is the difference between E1 and E2. Just recently on the LOS and we had connecting cabins. One was an E1 and one was an E2. E1 sleeps 3 and E2 only sleeps 2. Other than that the cabins were identical! So I do not think it is location.

I have an E2 on Mariner deck 8 Center ship [fear of using the word 'hump cabin'...I was yelled at last time!] and my last sailing was on Jewel in a D2 that was also on deck 8 and also center ship....so I really don't think that location is the main reason. Just my .02

I am not 100 percent positive but I do not think location is the difference between E1 and E2. Just recently on the LOS and we had connecting cabins. One was an E1 and one was an E2. E1 sleeps 3 and E2 only sleeps 2. Other than that the cabins were identical! So I do not think it is location.

I think you're correct. At least that's the way it is on FOS. The hump cabins on deck 6 are E2 cabins and closer to the elevators but they only sleep 2.

I have an E2 on Mariner deck 8 Center ship [fear of using the word 'hump cabin'...I was yelled at last time!] and my last sailing was on Jewel in a D2 that was also on deck 8 and also center ship....so I really don't think that location is the main reason. Just my .02

Who yelled at you? If it is on the semi-circular sticking-outie-thingie, it's a hump cabin! ;) :D

It's not location, Kathy. Look at any set of deck plans. E1 and E2 are right next to each other, for instance, here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=07&shipCode=EX&shipProfile=1081&sailDate=1070720&hasNavigation=false

The E1 was probably closer to elevators/stairs. I was told it is location!!!

Look at this deck: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=07&shipCode=NV&shipProfile=1084&sailDate=1070728&hasNavigation=false The cabins closest to the elevators midships are E2 cabins. :)

Not really always location. You could get an E1/E2 right next to each other on the same deck. E3 cabins tend to be on the lowest balcony deck, but E1/E2, while sometimes it MAY be location, most of the time it has to do with how many it sleeps. E1 cabins generally (although not all the time) sleep 3, and E2 cabins generally but not always only sleep 2. And if the E1's only sleep 2, it usually is a connecting cabin. They charge more for convenience of certain things. Location is the least of it.

It does have to do with location....but also some other factors.

For example, lets discuss the E category. On Voyager Class, there are only E-1s on deck 9 and 8. As you move down to decks 7 and 6, they change to E-2s.

Stay with me......there are E-1s next to E-2s on decks 7 and 6. Those are classified as E-1s because they sleep extra people, by way of a pullman bed.

This also holds true for the D category......D-1s on higher decks, but sleep more on lower decks. The Ds and Es on the upper decks rarely sleep extra people.

Make sense?

For example, lets discuss the E category. On Voyager Class, there are only E-1s on deck 9 and 8. As you move down to decks 7 and 6, they change to E-2s.

Stay with me......there are E-1s next to E-2s on decks 7 and 6. Those are classified as E-1s because they sleep extra people, by way of a pullman bed.

This also holds true for the D category......D-1s on higher decks, but sleep more on lower decks. The Ds and Es on the upper decks rarely sleep extra people.

Make sense?

But if you look at the Freedom class ships, you will find E2's on all decks except 10. And all the hump cabins seem to be E2 cabins unless they are suites. There really is no rhyme or reason.

But if you look at the Freedom class ships, you will find E2's on all decks except 10. And all the hump cabins seem to be E2 cabins unless they are suites. There really is no rhyme or reason.

The Freedom is a little odd. But the E-1s are still primarily on higher decks than E-2s. And lower, the E-1s have the pullman bed.

I'm not sure why the hump is E-2. Maybe RCI thinks those rooms aren't as popular as they are.....maybe because of the stair traffic, who knows?

The rule still holds true with the D category though.

Make sense?

I don't agree with you about the D's on the upper decks rarely sleeping extra people. If you look at the Mariner, almost half of the D-1's on deck 10 sleep more than one and on deck 9 all but four of the D-1's sleep more than two.

The Freedom is a little odd. But the E-1s are still primarily on higher decks than E-2s. And lower, the E-1s have the pullman bed.

I'm not sure why the hump is E-2. Maybe RCI thinks those rooms aren't as popular as they are.

The rule still holds true with the D category though.

Yeah, it's all a little wierd. I thought I had it all figured out, but then you come along and prove me wrong. lol. Oh well, the price difference between the different balconies is never that much. So I just pick the one I want and go with it. I also never did understand why they put their suites on the highest cabin deck. So many complain of the noise up there. Our next cruise, on Mariner, I decided to book a GS. But I picked it based on what was above it. I am close to the elevator, but below and area where there will be no pool chairs. I hope it works out okay.

I don't agree with you about the D's on the upper decks rarely sleeping extra people. If you look at the Mariner, almost half of the D-1's on deck 10 sleep more than one and on deck 9 all but four of the D-1's sleep more than two.

Rarely was the wrong word. I should have said sometimes. On the first 3 Voyager ships, none of the E-1s have the pullman on deck 9 and 10, and only the aft D-1s have the sofa-bed on deck 10.

....actually, strike that whole comment since it really only applies to 3 ships. The rest of what I said is true though.

I also never did understand why they put their suites on the highest cabin deck. So many complain of the noise up there.

So true. I wish they would find a way to insulate the ceiling from the pool deck noise a little better. Those metal decks can be noisy!

:eek: You all really know your cabin categories! Wow. We just took whatever cabin we were assigned and now I am wondering if what we got is ok. We are on AOS cat E1 deck 8. One cabin sleeps two and the other sleeps three. DD is in a pullman bed. What is a pullman bed??

If you're on AOS, it will probably pull down from the ceiling.

Our girls were in an interior last month with pullmans. When they first entered their room, they came running to me in a panic that there was no pullman in the room. Unless you really looked for it (the lines in the ceiling), you would never know. They really do come down out of the ceiling and during when they are put up and out of the way, you would never know.

Generally speaking..

D's are bigger than E's - slightly.

1's usually have some sort of extra capacity. Sofa bed, Pullman bed, or connecting cabin. 2's are the same room, but no extra sleeper space. 3's are usually based upon location, and may have to do with slightly obscured view(not much) or slightly less desirable location.

Since D's and E's are both balcony cabins, and E's are slightly smaller (or have a slightly smaller balcony) AND E's are cheaper, E's are more economical (almost the same as D's but for less cost).

And so, for many ,E's are more desirable and therefore can be sold out first.

Ron

Julie we were probably 3 days into our cruise before I knew there was a pullman. DH told me it was in the ceiling. I thought poor person should that bed fly back up into place lol.

Ron we have gone with a E1 class for most of our cruises and switched for Hawaiian to a D1 for 20 sq ft more. DH & I just got tired of feeling crammed in.

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCT 11, 2008

I was on a hump E-1 last fall on Deck 7 of the Brilliance, I loved it for it's location and larger balcony. I believe that the main difference between the size of D and E is the width of one sofa cushion or maybe a wee bit more. I had a 2 cusion love seat, and the D cabins have 3 cushion sofas.

Archived