Difference in tax/port charges between NCL and other cruiselines!

Topo Gigio

I always wonder why NCL charge (much) more for ther tax/port charges. I have seen this most of the time in comparison with other cruiselines.

Was seeing to book 7 nights Canada & New England on either Norwegian Jewel or Carnival Glory. Both ships leave from NY on the same day. Only difference Jewel goes to Sydney, Nova Scotia and Glory goes to Boston. Carnival charge you $100.46 per person and Norwegian $ 145.50

I always wonder why NCL charge (much) more for ther tax/port charges. I have seen this most of the time in comparison with other cruiselines.

Was seeing to book 7 nights Canada & New England on either Norwegian Jewel or Carnival Glory. Both ships leave from NY on the same day. Only difference Jewel goes to Sydney, Nova Scotia and Glory goes to Boston. Carnival charge you $100.46 per person and Norwegian $ 145.50

It's my understanding that each cruiseline negotiates these fees with each port and a lot of factors affect the cost. Some cruise lines get a break in some ports and some don't, etc.

there is THE difference right there...CANADA & USA

The Glroy is also visiting 2 canadian port and the Jewel 3, so I don't think that's $45 more for just 1 canadian port more. I have seen this on Caribbean itineraries too that NCL charges much higher taxes and port charges.

I don't know about other cruise lines. NCL does not charge for tax/port fees. NCL charges for government taxes & fees. That fees is actually now called non-commission fare which encompasses more than port fees. Carnival's is listed as taxes & government fees.

The taxes and port charges are not just assessed on a per passenger head tax basis. There are charges that are assessed per ship, and since the Carnival Glory has a capacity of 600 more passengers (double occupancy) than the Norwegian Jewel, any of the per ship charges for the Gory can be divided among many more passengers than they can for the Jewel.

Each cruise line has its own secret formula for computing the per passenger taxes. In the end, the only price that matters is the bottom line total, not how its whacked up between base fare and taxes.

Each cruise line has its own secret formula for computing the per passenger taxes. In the end, the only price that matters is the bottom line total, not how its whacked up between base fare and taxes.

Valid point

I don't know about other cruise lines. NCL does not charge for tax/port fees. NCL charges for government taxes & fees. That fees is actually now called non-commission fare which encompasses more than port fees. Carnival's is listed as taxes & government fees.

Hmm, that's weird because NCL specifically told me that they do have a flat rate for port charges (depending on where/what cruise you are on). :confused:

Hmm, that's weird because NCL specifically told me that they do have a flat rate for port charges (depending on where/what cruise you are on). :confused:

This is how this information came to be.

When I got my comped cruise from Harrahs, I was responsible for "port fees & taxes" according to Harrahs. I was told the breakdown was $... for gov't fees & taxes and $.... was for port fees.

We missed a port on my last cruise and I received $9+ for the port fee for missing the port. I came home a little confused because what I paid in port fees divided by 3 did not equal $9+. I telephone NCL to inquire. I was told that the amount I was charged was no longer called port fees but non-commission fare (although according to him a lot of people even in NCL still referred to it by that name). NCF (as they refer to it as) encompasses a lot more than port fees hence the name change. Sure enough in the small print on my CAS certificate it is referred to as "NCF".

Since NCL only pays Travel Agents commissions on the base rate, by having larger port taxes and government fees (NCF) the base rate is lower so they have less to pay TA.

Another reason why TA's don't push NCL as much.

Since NCL only pays Travel Agents commissions on the base rate, by having larger port taxes and government fees (NCF) the base rate is lower so they have less to pay TA.

Well that makes sense. Hence the reason "non-commission" fare. Thanks

Well OP I guess the mystery has been solved. This question has come up before and I've never seen a logical answer for it.

There's logic, but it's not transparent. The port of departure, times of departure, number of passengers, negotiated rates, etc. probably all impact the issue to at least some degree. I had a little extra time to kill while waiting for the pasta to cook for tomorrow's graduation party and did some comparisions (everyone can draw their own conclusions). The only thing that I can say with any certainty is that whether you are in an Owner's Suite or an Inside cabin you pay the same for gov't taxes and fees.

Sky 4 day itinerary Nassau, GSC, Freeport departing Miami April 23 2012- $93.76 pp

Gem 7 day itinerary Port Canaveral, GSC, Nassau depart NYC April 21, 2012 $143.27 pp

Jewel 7 day Port C, GSC, Nassau depart NYC April 21 $139.23 pp

Dawn W. Carib 7 day Nov 11, 2012 depart Tampa $111.28 pp

Star W. Carib 7 day (same ports as Dawn) Nov 11, 2012 depart N.O. $95.85

I kind of doubt that. Don't know about up in Canada but here in the U.S. if a company collects taxes on behalf of the government then they are required to turn every dime over to the government because our government hates competition;).

I kind of doubt that. Don't know about up in Canada but here in the U.S. if a company collects taxes on behalf of the government then they are required to turn every dime over to the government because our government hates competition;).

It's the same thing here in Canada Sparks. I think the confusion lies in the wording of that poster, I just read between the lines, which is why I agreed. The actual wording from my NCL document is "NCF & government fees". I took that to mean NCF since more encompassing than port fees, would allow NCL to do their own little calculation of what they didn't wish to pay commission on. Then government fees being separate and set could not be played with.

The companies that comp that cabins make you pay taxes and non-commissionable fees. How they word it is confusing as they call it taxes but it's not taxes that go to the government - it is just the non-commissionable portion plus the government fees and taxes. Since they're not making anything on it - they make the person getting comped pay it. I also sense it's a back end accounting issue too. The accounting dept is only paying commission on the commissionable portion so they want to see that # and that # only and the rest is taxes and whatever.

The companies that comp that cabins make you pay taxes and non-commissionable fees. How they word it is confusing as they call it taxes but it's not taxes that go to the government - it is just the non-commissionable portion plus the government fees and taxes. Since they're not making anything on it - they make the person getting comped pay it. I also sense it's a back end accounting issue too. The accounting dept is only paying commission on the commissionable portion so they want to see that # and that # only and the rest is taxes and whatever.

Oh yes patseacruiser, I realize that. Actually this part of the thread came I believe because I corrected the OP with port fees and NCF. I just didn't want someone to get caught surprised like I did thinking that port fees meant actual fees for port.

BTW we are looking at your sail in Feb on the Pearl. Just waiting for confirmations for the date, so I can book it.

They are so many various fees that we never see.

Docking fee

Pilot Fee

union and porter type fees

per person fees

tonnage fees

per person fees

time of day or day of week fee

And these all get figured differently.

Bottom line - NCL can charge anything they want. And some companies might just include in their base fares.

It is what it is.

And it's not just cruiselines that do this. I absolutely hate buying airfare for the same reason.

We were going to go to Belize (a friend recommended it). I started checking airfare, NO NON-STOPs. Found a 1 stop through Houston, for $349 round-trip. I was ready to jump on it, until I hit the booking button and the amount jumped to $789 pp. I couldn't believe it, the taxes and fees were more than the base fare.

WE DIDN'T GO TO BELIZE! SO as other posters have said, it's the bottom line, for me, I don't usually even pay attention to the amount of the taxes and fees, if the base fare is good, I go with it. We are all going to pay the taxes and fees anyway.

Happy travels!

And it's not just cruiselines that do this. I absolutely hate buying airfare for the same reason.

We were going to go to Belize (a friend recommended it). I started checking airfare, NO NON-STOPs. Found a 1 stop through Houston, for $349 round-trip. I was ready to jump on it, until I hit the booking button and the amount jumped to $789 pp. I couldn't believe it, the taxes and fees were more than the base fare.

WE DIDN'T GO TO BELIZE! SO as other posters have said, it's the bottom line, for me, I don't usually even pay attention to the amount of the taxes and fees, if the base fare is good, I go with it. We are all going to pay the taxes and fees anyway.

Happy travels!

I always check Orbitz because they give you the "out of pocket" cost up front.

Archived