Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Well, this should generate a comment or two! :) :D

Go on then; I'll jump in with a couple of questions.

First, "Jackets and ties no longer will be required..." but then, "...one couple might feel most glamorous in a tuxedo and gown, another might feel more elegant in a sport jacket..." suggests to me that a jacket will still be required. But maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Second, "...nor will shorts and t-shirts be permitted in the dining room on evening chic nights." Surely they are not suggesting that shorts and t-shirts will be permitted on non formal nights.

Go on then; I'll jump in with a couple of questions.

First, "Jackets and ties no longer will be required..." but then, "...one couple might feel most glamorous in a tuxedo and gown, another might feel more elegant in a sport jacket..." suggests to me that a jacket will still be required. But maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Second, "...nor will shorts and t-shirts be permitted in the dining room on evening chic nights." Surely they are not suggesting that shorts and t-shirts will be permitted on non formal nights.

I think it suggests that a jacket is appropriate, not required.

Just as we suspected they have dumbed it down. Just another slip down the slope to mediocrity. Since they won't enforce this either I say lets join the classless that never follow the rules and we'll all show up in torn jeans and tee shirts. What a shame.

Nowhere do they suggest that shorts and t-shirts will be acceptable, but I'm loving the idea of a little more casual. We mostly vacation in the Caribbean, and frankly, the formal nights are a waste there.

I'm thrilled about the change, and I'm pretty sure "the kids" will be as well.

I will never understand those who get up in arms about a dress code. Does it really matter that the table next to you is wearing a pair of nice jeans and a button down shirt, and you are wearing your finest brooks brothers 3 piece.

Celebrity says they are "Modern Luxury" being modern means being casual yet presentable. No one wears suits and ties to dinner anymore I don't care if you're at Mortons steakhouse or a michelin star restaurant. Nice jeans and maybe a sport coat is as dressy as it gets. I love the idea that the Celebrity is updating things to move with the times, and it definitely makes it easier for me to appeal to friends in my age group ( early to mid 30's) to join us.

I sail soon and can't wait to wear my cute dark jeans, strappy heels and sparkly top to dinner on Evening Chic night.

I live in a small town in the Midwest, so I have no need to have my own tux for any event, suit/tie is just fine. Wife would prefer NOT to have to dress to the nines for any dinner event, but she has no problem dressing accordingly for "nice" events ( again, we live in a small town in the Midwest). While this change from Formal to Chic may decrease the number of formally-attired folks ( and decrease the peoplewatching that sometimes goes with it), I applaud the fact that now people travelling thousands of miles do not HAVE to pack such formalwear if they do not wish. If one prefers to dress up, let them.

On the other hand, I agree somewhat with Jane in that I have seen a "dumbing down" of the enforcement of the dress code for the past several years. I still plan to wear a suit/tie for formal nights regardless of which restaurant I am patronizing. I do not wear jeans of any type to the MDR......if khakis are OK for the State Farm guy, they are OK for me to wear in the MDR...and I have several pairs in different colors to take....

I'm renaming it Classless Chic. :D

I don't understand why you have such little faith in your fellow cruisers!

In reality, the Chic people will still look chic.

And the ones who are not so chic (yes, in their formalwear!) will still not be chic.

I don't expect to see total slobs because of the change.

Celebrity says they are "Modern Luxury" being modern means being casual yet presentable.

Really? According to who's definition is that. I'm pretty sure that you just made that up!

No one wears suits and ties to dinner anymore I don't care if you're at Mortons steakhouse or a michelin star restaurant. Nice jeans and maybe a sport coat is as dressy as it gets.

Again, really? "Nice jeans" is most definitely NOT "as dressy as it gets" around Dallas. If "nice jeans" is as dressy as you ever get, you'll find yourself out of place often, and refused admittance on occasion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I don't understand why you have such little faith in your fellow cruisers!

In reality' date=' the Chic people will still look chic.

And the ones who are not so chic (yes, in their formalwear!) will still not be chic.

I don't expect to see total slobs because of the change.[/quote']

So totally agree.

Can't see how the loud obnoxious (and formally dressed) individual is classy but the reserved respectful (and casually dressed) person is not. And this is a scenario that I have seen numerous times so not a fantasy.

And hugs to =X= for making the 60 days we have booked (and a dozen ex-formal nights) so more enjoyable!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I don't see what's changed. They didn't enforce the previous dress code so people were already being "chic"....

All they seem to be doing is adjusting the company line to what people were already doing.

Each to their own I say. I will still be wearing a Tux on Chic nights as my other half likes us to dress up, others can wear what they like, it makes no difference to my enjoyment of the evening.

Really? According to who's definition is that. I'm pretty sure that you just made that up!

According to generally every single modern fashion standard, outside of a wedding, black tie charity event, or other formal invite with a dress code stated. Casual and presentable is what you will get commonly defined as men in nice jeans/pants and a button down shirt. The ladies in nice jeans/pants and cute top or cute dress. I eat out and travel quite a lot in Miami, NYC, Chicago and L.A. it is defintiely the norm.

Again, really? "Nice jeans" is most definitely NOT "as dressy as it gets" around Dallas. If "nice jeans" is as dressy as you ever get, you'll find yourself out of place often, and refused admittance on occasion.

My husband and I have never, NEVER been denied admittance any where in this country or traveling internationally and we always feel " in place" if "out of place" is the opposite. I also would not use a state like Texas as the barometer of fashion. I have been to restaurants in Dallas where dressed up meant there was no mud on their boots and they left the pistol in the car. No Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I think the kind of people that have a problem with the more modernized evening chic dress code tend to be the type of person who feel that the entire world should be held to their standards. They also like to judge people based upon how they are dressed, and if you are not dressed to their standards then you are obviously beneath them.

Furthermore, I have never had the dress of my fellow restaurant patrons or dinner companions affect the taste of my meal, the bouquet of my wine, or the level of service I have received. So, until how other folks are dressed starts to actually affect me I will continue to be chic in very nice jeans, and you can continue to wear your ball gowns.

As always this is the internet, and this is just my opinion, do with it as you will.

Edited by MIA2CHI

As always this is the internet, and this is just my opinion, do with it as you will.

Well, at least after making more completely unsubstantiated & general statements like "every modern fashion standard" and similar gobbledygook you at least admit it's nothing more than your opinion vs. being any kind of factual statements.

I note you also at least added pants to your previous "nothing dressier than jeans" claim. And, I think it's the hoity-toity ones who are too ignorant to realize that Dallas is quite cosmopolitan and has more fining dining establishments per capita than most US cities who make the kind of snobbish statements you just did. As for travel and experiencing other cities I'll wager I've done at least as much and likely more and enjoy the lifetime airline top-tier status my extensive traveling earned me.

Of course, this is the internet and it's just my opinion, so do with it as you wish. :rolleyes:

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Hi Everyone,

With today's (11/9/15) news of updates to Celebrity's Dress Code, the information located within this thread is now outdated. Therefore, we are closing this thread.

We'll create another "New" Dress Code Discussion thread, within the next few days. In the meantime, please continue the conversation on the current Dress Code threads :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278320

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278306

Thanks very much for your understanding and participation. This thread is now closed.

Edited by Host Andy