Rome for 1 night pre-cruise. Need advice!!

toneman01

Hello all. I am super excited for our first Celebrity cruise (also our first Mediterranean cruise) in May. But I am a little unsure how to navigate transportation from Rome airport to the hotel and then the cruise port. Also we really want to make the most of our time while in Rome. I've read many posts regarding tour company Rome in Limo. I've also read about touring the Vatican after hours has anyone ever done this tour?

Any help would be very appreciated since I'm not sure where to begin

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We spent a week pre cruise in Rome. If you stay near the Termini ( train station) you can walk to the Colosseum other attractions.. if you are a walker. The train to the port is fast and cheap. Just research the details so you know the exact procedure.

We used Romeinlimo twice and the are amazing!!!

Only did day time Vatican tours. Check online and if you are visiting there and buy tickets ahead as there are huge long lines for ticket buyers. No wait if you have yours!

There's lots of information on the Italy Ports of Call board on transportation and tours in Rome.

My recommendations for transportation would probably depend on where your hotel is and how comfortable you are handling your luggage and taking public transportation.

The Vatican after-hours tours are not offered every day. Several people I know (for whom the Vatican experience was a key element of their trip) really enjoyed it. You cannot believe the wall-to-wall people in the museum in the course of the normal opening hours, at least during the main tourist season.

You will LOVE Rome. We can't recommend Rome in Limo enough.

You have to decide what is important for you to see. We spent five days and never stopped. For me seeing the Vatican for the beauty, history and influence was at the top of our list. We opted for a private tour through RIL. Money well spent and we saw much more than a group tour. We walked around a ton. With our hotel across from the US Embassy we were close to the Spanish Steps and Trivoli (?) Fountain which was amazing at night. We ate at local hole-in-the-wall places and never had a bad meal.

Whatever you decide to do, pre book and avoid wasting time in line. We also used RIL for all our transportation and many other tours throughout and underneath the city. We were joined by people on our roll call for everything but our Vatican tour which kept the cost down.

Judy

This is pretty easy to navigate with info from these boards. Some people use the train very successfully from the airport to Rome and then to the port, but we have never wanted to bother with the hassle of luggage, especially after a long overseas flight. We used Rome Cabs for all our transfers and found it money well spent. For our hotel, we chose the Albergo Cesari based on recommendations here, would heartily recommend this hotel --- right in the center of the tourist area, a block from the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon, only a short walk to the Colosseum. It has a lovely rooftop bar/breakfast area and the staff is lovely, eager to make restaurant recommendations that were spot on. It's a lovely older hotel (most in Italy are old) with a lot of Italian ambiance.

Hello all. I am super excited for our first Celebrity cruise (also our first Mediterranean cruise) in May. But I am a little unsure how to navigate transportation from Rome airport to the hotel and then the cruise port. Also we really want to make the most of our time while in Rome. I've read many posts regarding tour company Rome in Limo. I've also read about touring the Vatican after hours has anyone ever done this tour?

Any help would be very appreciated since I'm not sure where to begin

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Transportation from airport Fiumicino to actual Rome is very simple- shuttle bus for 5 E pp to Termini station. Practically the best- to find hotel within walking distance from Termini. We used Domus Praetoria hotel- 10 min walk from Termini. Next morning you need to walk back to Termini, board train to Civitaveccia and ride train to port. Better to get 1st class car- much less people in the car and price not really too much different. From train station in Civitaveccia just walk to port gate.

If you are flying in overnight, I would strongly recommend pre-booking a car from the airport. You might even book your tour to start from the airport.

Pick one or two sites you must see, and reserve tickets ahead of time. For example, on our first visit, we chose the colosseum and the Vatican. You can't see it all, and you'll be hungry for a return trip.

Go for comfort and convenience. Your hotel can book you a car rom the airport and to the port. Rome is, IMO, the most amazing city on the planet. As someone said, you can spend a lifetime and never see all of it, so maximize your enjoyment by letting the professionals take care of you.

Other suggestions- the HoHo bus is a nice way to see Rome after dark. You might also arrange an evening walking tour. Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navone... they are close together and very festive at night.

Enjoy!

Cabs have set prices,around 50 Euro, from the airport. Taxi or car service will run about 120 Euro to the port from Rome city center. These are easiest due to luggage.

Airport train is 8 Euro then any additional cost to take a cab or 1.50 local train or bus. You can also take a bus from the airport for a little less then the train.

To port the train is five Euro and leaves about every 40 minutes, no reservation required. Rome has elevators for luggage, but the port you need to be able to handle stairs. From the train a 15-20 minute walk or another 1.50 bus.

Look at tripadvisors destination page. It will have common questions and a whole set of detailed instructions for how to do any of the above.

We just hopped in a taxi at the airport. It was very easy and less expensive than a private transfer. Just be aware that on Sundays, the rates are higher.

To get to the ship, join others on your Roll Call and split the bill. Book through Rome In Limo or one of the many other private transfer services. You can find a lot of them on the Italy Board.

You might also arrange an evening walking tour. Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navone... they are close together and very festive at night.

Enjoy!

Rick Steves' guidebook has a great evening walking tour that you can do on your own -- no need to arrange for a guided tour. Rome is beautiful at night and very safe to walk around (of course, normal city cautions apply). There is a tradition in Italy of the evening 'passeggiata' or walk, so many Italians will also be out strolling.

Hi, you've received some good advice here! We booked the Vatican museums at night through Dark Rome...they were recommended on these boards by Brazil Girl, who is well travelled & does great trip reports!

The Vatican museums can be a zoo... even in the off seasons.

They are offering tours on Friday nights in May, the 13th, 20th, & 27th are still available. The groups are limited to 20 people max & include the museums & Sistine chapel.

Regarding transport from the airport to Rome, we've done the train, & cabs, honestly if you've got 2 or more people, the cabs make sense price wise.

We always take the train from rome to port, as long as you can handle your luggage up & down stairs, it's the cheapest (& funnest, to me) way to go.

Edited by cruise kitty

Our first cruise in Europe was 2011 and was Rome to Rome for 10 nights. After checking out how to get from airport to hotel near the Vatican, transportation to port and transportation back to airport after the cruise, we decided to travel like Kings and Queens. We had a Mercedes sedan pick us up from airport, drop us at hotel, came back two days later and took us to the port, came back after cruise and dropped us at the airport. Very timely and if I remember right, costs us about $400. Worth every penny. Best part, driver looked like the actor from the "transportor" movie, dressed in suit, bald and very nice and friendly (and sexy).

Everyones budget is different, but if you can afford it - nice way to go.

I STRONGLY recommend staying In the historic center of the Rome, the Centro Storico. From there, you do not need a tour, everything is easily walkable with the possible exception of the Vatican, but you can take a cheap cab. I you recommend pre-booking tickets to the Colosseum and also to the Vatican museums. You can do both online before you leave home.

Really discourage booking near Termini. It's a long walk to anyplace you want to see, the area is not very nice, the restaurants are mostly touristy junk, and you miss out on the beautiful nighttime strolling around the Piazza Navona and Pantheon areas.

We have been to Rome 3 times. The first time was part of a bus tour. We felt totally rushed and although we are Catholics, we hated the Vatican.

The second time, before a cruise we stayed in a small hotel between the train station and Santa Maria Maggiore. We spent 4 days on our own. We took the train from the airport-very easy and travelled everywhere by foot or subway. We even went to the Vatican on Sunday morning for Mass. No tour groups are allowed in before noon on Sunday. We had lots of time to really enjoy the whole place. We then took the train to the port.

Next trip we travelled with friends and stayed at Best Western Canada- a great hotel with a quait elevator and interesting rooms. Check out some of its reviews and just a short walk from the train station. We took the train from the Airport but used Rome Limo to the cruise ship and then back to the airport after the cruise. The company was prompt and very efficient.

We love Rome, it's very walkable if you stay near the train station. Have a great holiday.

Rick Steves' guidebook has a great evening walking tour that you can do on your own -- no need to arrange for a guided tour. Rome is beautiful at night and very safe to walk around (of course, normal city cautions apply). There is a tradition in Italy of the evening 'passeggiata' or walk, so many Italians will also be out strolling.

Yes, we did his evening walk on our first visit. Using his quirky map, we made unexpected twists and turns, and that was OK because we had time. Indeed, in our wanderings, we have stumbled upon much history and beauty not on the most direct routes.

it is the OP's limited time that led me to suggest hiring a walking guide. Navigating the tourist areas can be daunting for a first time visitor.

OP, once you've had a taste of Rome, you will return for the feast. Rare is the person who has no Roman blood coursing through her veins. As Lord Byron wrote, "O Rome! my country! city of the soul!"

In Oct. 2015, I was in Rome for 2 night before taking a cruise. I decided to stay in the historic area. It turned out to be a fabulous idea. I stayed at a small residenza. In Rome there are residenzas in many locations. They are a flat of a larger building that runs like a bed and breakfast. They are less expensive than big hotels and have lots of local charm. Pick your location and then find a place to stay. I read reviews on Tripadvisor. We stayed close to the Piazza Navonna. Rome is a easy city to walk. In Rome and in Italy, there are often transportation strikes. Each time I have visited Italy, I have experienced work stoppages. In October, we took the public bus from our residenza to the Colleseum. 4 stops 1.5 euros. When we wanted to return to the residenza, the public buses and metro were on strike. There was also an entire old city vehicle halt for smog. The streets were empty. With no choice except to walk, we walked back. Along the way, we visited museums, bought some nice items in small, shops, ate pizza and gelato, and thoroughly enjoyed our walk. It was a very pleasant afternoon. Later, we were told that Friday is the most common day for strikes.

For transfers from FCO to Rome(50euro), Rome to Civitevecchia (120euro), and from Civitevecchia to FCO(120 euro), I used RomeCabs. All 3 drivers were on time and polite. I would use them again. I have also used RomeInLimo on other trips. RomeInLimo wanted 160 euros for the ship transfer. I would not use the train. There are pickpockets that work the trains. If you are trying to manage your luggage, you will be a target. Also, trains often go on strike. I was on an Italian train once when it stopped in the middle of nowhere for an hour. Luckily, I didn't miss my ship. The safest way to transfer is with a limo company. You can post on your sailing roll call and try to get together with other people to share a ride. I have shared with other people many times. Your nest bet for sharing is the ride to the airport when you are leaving the ship.

Trying to decide what to see is your choice. If this is your first and only trip to Rome, take a tour. There are many places that are worth seeing. If you prefer to take it as it comes, get out and walk. A street map, a bottle of water, good walking shoes, a pickpocket proof bag, and you're good to go. Have great time.

We have been to Rome 3 times and enjoy the city very much. We stay at the Albergo Cesari, nice hotel, great location, breakfast included that is very good.

We have used RomeinLimo for transfers from airport to hotel, hotel to ship and also for tours of Rome. They are very prompt, have very nice cars or vans, and the prices are reasonable.

We would highly recommend both.

I know you will enjoy Rome

Dave