Cinque Terre on a Celebrity tour, crowds??

MWL58

Hello

We are scheduled on the Equinox Aug 1. Just received an email from Celebrity offering us the to consider alternatives to CT tour from Livorno due to crowds in CT.

Does anyone have a recent experience with Celebrities excursion to CT from the Livorno stop. We know it is 1.5 hours each way from Livorno and CT is busy during peak months ... I do recall a posting where the reviewer mentioned there were huge lines for the trains and the place was great but overwhelmed so lines everywhere that took away from the experience.

thanks in advance for your feedback

Regards

M

Hello

We are scheduled on the Equinox Aug 1. Just received an email from Celebrity offering us the to consider alternatives to CT tour from Livorno due to crowds in CT.

Does anyone have a recent experience with Celebrities excursion to CT from the Livorno stop. We know it is 1.5 hours each way from Livorno and CT is busy during peak months ... I do recall a posting where the reviewer mentioned there were huge lines for the trains and the place was great but overwhelmed so lines everywhere that took away from the experience.

Regards

M

If you want a variety of good quality answers recommend that you ask this question on tripadvisor.com;)

Hello

Regards

M

You may want to try the 'Ports of Call' board here on CC. You will be able to read more about that port and others.

Bon Voyage...

We recently (July 4, 2015 Equinox cruise) did the excursion through the ship to Cinque Terre. We did the cruise from Genoa, but we got the same warning. We were pleasantly surprised how well we enjoyed the excursion. We usually book private excursions.

The reasons we booked through Celebrity was two fold. They supplied a guide, not just a driver. All the private tours charged 100 euros plus for a guide. The other reason was the timing was tight. We actually arrived back at the ship 10 minutes before last boarding time for passengers.

So, we were glad we booked the tour. It was our second time to Cinque Terre, and we got a lot more out of it because of the guide, who was very good.

And, the have pizza there. :p

We did the Cinque terre tour through Celebrity in May and didn't care for it at all. Of course the weather was a deterrent. We had heavy rains for most of the morning. The train experience was the worse. We were loaded onto the trains like cattle. Many people felt faint, and the worse part was that the train didn't move for 15 minutes.

I personally wouldn't recommend the Celebrity tour at all. We actually were refunded part of the cost because of the circumstances.

WOW! We find that e-mail intriguing. CT is a very popular tourist area (even with Italians) and Aug 1 would be right in the heart of the prime season. With Aug 1 being a Saturday it is to be expected that the CT villages will be crowded. So yes, the villages will have plenty of visitors. But, the cruise ship excursions are only a small portion of the total visitors, many of whom just drive to Riomaggiore or Monterosso (the opposite end of CQ) and park their cars (we have done this many times). So for a cruise line to warn cruisers (docking in Livorno) about over crowding in CT is somewhat absurd. They could same the same about Florence, Rome, Paris, etc. If you want to avoid the crowds then go to Italy in May or October-November.

One might conclude that it is more an issue of their excursions being overcrowded. I would add that although we have been to CT many times (when on cruises and on our normal driving vacations in Italy) we have never considered going on a cruise line excursion (which means you are already in a crowd of 50+). In fact, we have never gone to CT in a vehicle that had more then 4 persons :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I can see where crowds might be an issue. When we did it, you used the ferry to go from village Riomaggiore to Vernazza and Vernazza to Monterosso.

If the ferry's are full it can be a problem. We did it in October. Even then our guide made sure that everyone was there and in line for the ferry and set up the schedule to be able to handle not being able to get on one (having enough time that the next one would work).

If the ferry's are full it can be a problem. We did it in October. Even then our guide made sure that everyone was there and in line for the ferry and set up the schedule to be able to handle not being able to get on one (having enough time that the next one would work).

Celebrity's excursion had a ferry reserved exclusively for the excursion participants.

Celebrity's excursion had a ferry reserved exclusively for the excursion participants.

That must be new, they did not when I did it with them a few years back. They had ferry tickets, but it was a shared ferry. There was only 40 of us from the ship on the tour.

Maybe they ran into too many problems with capacity issues.

If they have their own ferries reserved not sure why they would be talking about crowding then. It seemed that the towns themselves could handle it. The walkway to Riomaggiore can get busy, but it is just a walkway.

Edited by RDC1

That's a big improvement.

We did it years ago and it poured. It was in May and there were many other tour groups. All had umbrellas. What a mess! And we were placed in the ferry like sardines. Miserable.

My DH did get his beautiful photos, though, even in the bad weather. So he was a happy camper. I bought a scarf and an umbrella!

Please consider visiting the towns of Lucca, and a small village called Montecarlo.

We went there in July and travel time was under an hour to get to Montecarlo, which was a small village/hamlet/town on a small hill. Marvelous. To this day, I can remember the freshly made pasta with some kind of mushroom marsala sauce and actually exclaiming happily with every bite-full that went into my mouth. Gotta get back there!!

There was a church with relevant historical sights that kept our interest as well. If you stop at Pisa first thing before the crowds arrive, you can have a nice visit and get some top notch Italian coffee, before moving on.

The town of Viareggio is the bottom of the Italian Riviera, and is quite tourist oriented. Many rich and famous peoples stop their in large and luxurious yachts for a few days respite. The gelato, the pasta, the vino, the smartly dressed Italian people. fascinating.

Whatever you do, soak up every moment. So jealous that you can go, and I cannot at this time.

Hello

Regards

M

I was trying to organise a private tour for this very cruise for Cinque Terre on the Equinox roll call but no one wanted to join.

Edited by Pushka

I was trying to organise a private tour for this very cruise for Cinque Terre on the Equinox roll call but no one wanted to join.

The last time we decided to do CT from a cruise we simply reserved a rental car (from Sifracar) which we could pick-up and drop right next to the ship. We then decided that since we were only going to drive to and from Riomaggiore (where there is parking) we would advertise for another couple to split the cost. I posted on our Roll Call and within 2 hours had 4 couples asking to join us (we chose the first). Total cost for transportation (split 4 ways) was about 30 Euros per person (it might be closer to 35 now). Off the ship at 7:30, had our car by 7:45 and were in Riomaggiore by 9:15. On the way our passengers asked if we could stop by the Leaning Tower (they had never been to Pisa) on the way back and we agreed. This meant leaving Riomaggiore and hour earlier then planned but it was fun showing our new friends the Field of Miracles (and Tower).

I am posting this tale just to inform folks that there are various options besides "tours."

Hank

The decision on whether it is worth going to CT will very much depend on the amount of tourist visiting the day you intend going. If there are any large cruise ships in at La Spezia I would definitely give it a miss. Check http://www.cruisetimetables.com

MSC Armonia will be there on 1st August, a large percentage of their passengers will be going there, it will be HELL and not worth the trouble, believe me I witnessed it in May when we were aboard the Equinox.

Edited by mickey89

Whether you go with the ship or on your own, I can truly say I adore Cinque Terre! I was fortunate to spend a couple days there three years ago and it is truly stunning. The food is delicious (my little brother still craves the "little pillows of love" as he calls them from one restaurant). Walking between the towns is a wonderful experience, even when it is super hot outside. On the flip side, I can see how a rainy day could dampen (pardon the unintentional pun) a day here.

I can fully understand Celebrity's warning on crowds following their experience as recent as May this year. Many people comments are out of date, the Cinqueterre is awash with visitor from May to September. The only way too avoid the mayhem, it too visit out of season of the cruise ships.

The Lover's Walk (Via'dell amore) is closed probably for many years to come, it may never re-open - http://cinqueterreinsider.com/2015/02/13/whats-going-on-with-the-via-dellamore/

The decision on whether it is worth going to CT will very much depend on the amount of tourist visiting the day you intend going. If there are any large cruise ships in at La Spezia I would definitely give it a miss. Check www.cruisetimetables.com

MSC Armonia will be there on 1st August, a large percentage of their passengers will be going there, it will be HELL and not worth the trouble, believe me I witnessed it in May when we were aboard the Equinox.

Add to that the many Land Tours.

We received 14 emails from celebrity yesterday (yes 14) that said this

Dear Guest:

As you prepare for your upcoming cruise with us, we want to make you aware of an update in your Shore Excursions program. Please note that since Cinque Terre has become a very popular destination with many tourists visiting, crowds may be experienced in the villages, on the motorboats and train transfers. Should you feel the LV34- Cinque Terre tour you recently booked is no longer optimal as one of your tour options we'd like to recommend to book instead the following alternate shore excursion.

LVJ9- Coast of Cinque Terre & Portovenere

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we look forward to welcoming you aboard. Thank you.

However there is no description. The suggested change in the email or on the website, only a title.

Looks like we may have to phone celebrity for more info

Dear Guest:

As you prepare for your upcoming cruise with us, we want to make you aware of an update in your Shore Excursions program. Please note that since Cinque Terre has become a very popular destination with many tourists visiting, crowds may be experienced in the villages, on the motorboats and train transfers. Should you feel the LV34- Cinque Terre tour you recently booked is no longer optimal as one of your tour options we'd like to recommend to book instead the following alternate shore excursion.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we look forward to welcoming you aboard. Thank you.

However there is no description. The suggested change in the email or on the website, only a title.

Sounds to me that they have had multiple complaints, and now they are covering themselves.

The villages were lovely, but because of the train ride, we would never do this tour with Celebrity again. I have also heard about the boat being just as crowded as well. They only do the train if the weather is bad which was what we experienced.

Edited by The bubble

Sounds to me that they have had multiple complaints, and now they are covering themselves.

The villages were lovely, but because of the train ride, we would never do this tour with Celebrity again. I have also heard about the boat being just as crowded as well. They only do the train if the weather is bad which was what we experienced.

Funny as that's what I said as soon as we got the emails. I called it a 'we told you so' email. They could have helped by giving a description for the new one. Gong to give it a week or so to see if a description appears

We did the X CT tour at the end of June. We received an email in April: The Path of Love is currently under construction. The walk has been substituted with a pesto tasting in Monterosso.

We saw 3 of the villages. We took 2 ferry-boats and one train. We had about 90 minutes of free time at Monterosso, and very little otherwise, but it was a fun tour anyway. The "pesto tasting" consisted of a half glass of prosecco, and 2 small pieces of toasted italian bread with green and red pesto spread on them, served to all 40 of us in a small cafe with seating for about a dozen people. On the bus they had told us all about the local wines and that there would be a "wine tasting", but that was it. Anyway, I'm glad we went.

Through the magic that is Google, the description for LVJ9 can be found on the Royal Caribbean website; 9 1/2 hours, $119 per person. Here's the description:

Indulge in the stunning natural beauty and spectacular cultural offerings teeming from Italy’s Ligurian coast, as you enjoy a guided tour, scenic cruise and try local delicacies among two charming seaside villages. Begin the day in Portovenere, a UNESCO-listed town boasting colorful facades and the 12th-century church of St. Peter, which dangles over the jagged oceanfront of the Ligurian coast. Set sail via motorboat along Cinque Terre’s dramatic coastline and relish a spectacular view of this picturesque region’s multicolored terratetto houses, rugged seascapes and dinghy-spangled harbors. In Monterosso al Mare, the area’s oldest and most famous village, you’ll sample a selection of local bruschetta, ham, salami, wine and pesto, the crown gastronomic jewel of this region. You’ll also enjoy plenty of time to shop and explore independently throughout the day before being whisked back to port via motor coach.

Highlights:

• Portovenere: Join an informative guide for a tour of this UNESCO-listed village, home to the 12th-century church of St. Peter.

• Scenic Cruise: Admire spectacular views of Cinque Terre’s postcard-perfect seascapes and colorful facades while gliding across the sea.

• Local delicacies: Delight your taste buds while sampling local bruschetta, salami, wine and pesto, this region’s most notable culinary offering.

• Shopping: Enjoy plenty of free time in Monterosso al Mare and a local shopping mall to browse for authentic souvenirs.

• 6 months later...

However you choose to visit CT, just remember that you are getting a small snapshot of part of the area. It won't be enough time to really enjoy very much that is there, but it will provide you with a place that you want to return to and stay for at least 5 days! It is truly magical and worth it! Yes, the weekends are very crowded, as are the ferries and trains, but the "experience," IMO is so worth it....just go and enjoy! if you feel that everything has to be perfect, just know that it won't be. The true beauty of the area will be enough...Vernazza is alway way overcrowded, so be prepared! You can return and appreciate all of its beauty at a later date and during a different time of the year when it is not so hot and crowded...

Edited by Lastdance