Celebrity's New Ad Campaign : Answer the call of Modern Luxury

Andy

Hi Everyone,

I thought today's news from Seatrade Cruise news would be of interest to our community : http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/answer-the-call-of-modern-luxury%E2%80%94celebritys-major-new-thrust.html

'Answer the call of Modern Luxury'—Celebrity's major new thrust

A woman at a newsstand, a man at a cafe, someone dreaming, someone in spinning class, an architect giving a presentation—they're all hearing subtle music and a mysterious call.

Specifically: 'Marco.'

The word is called from a steward serving guests at the Lawn Club, a spa therapist, a chef shopping at a market, a captain on the foredeck—all, real Celebrity Cruises crew members.

Gradually those who hear, respond in a quirky 'Marco ... Polo' call and response.

And then the tagline: 'Answer the call of Modern Luxury. Celebrity Cruises. Modern Luxury lives here.'

The commercial, the first work of Celebrity's new advertising agency, Venables Bell & Partners, will air on national television, with the heaviest media spend in the first quarter, wave season. Print advertisements and digital elements are scheduled, too.

Celebrity also engaged Water Cooler Group’s Media Storm to manage media buying and Accenture to provide digital agency and web technology services.

'This is one of the most important things this brand has done in many years,' Celebrity president and ceo Lisa Lutoff-Perlo told Seatrade Cruise News.

For 'Answer the call of Modern Luxury,' Celebrity has a larger media spend than ever before, particularly in the first quarter, wave season, and a bigger spend in television especially.

The line has run TV ads for a long time, on cable and local channels. 'This is a bigger splash,' Lutoff-Perlo said. Spots will air in key cities like Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami and Boston and on national networks such as Bravo, HGTV and The Travel Channel.

'Seventy percent of our target is 10% of the zipcodes,' Lutoff-Perlo noted.

Print placements are scheduled in publications including Travel+Leisure, Bon Appétit and Food & Wine. There are digital elements, too.

Paul Venables, founder and chairman of the San Francisco advertising agency Venables Bell & Partners, expressed his alignment with Lutoff-Perlo and Celebrity's mission.

He described the approach as having a 'one-two punch'—the call to like-minded travelers and showing how different Celebrity is.

'Forget about the cruise industry. Let's talk about the people,' is how it began. 'We are reaching and attracting modern luxury travelers who have a desire for more authenticity, taste and higher expectations. We want to make sure we're tapping into the mindset and relating how Celebrity Cruises is so far superior and interesting,' Venables said.

'The cruise industry is pretty bankrupt with cliches,' he continued. 'The images all blend together. There's no true differentiation.'

'Answer the call' conveys real images from the ship, like the Lawn Club. And real people, including Capt. Emmanuel Alevropoulos ('Capt. Manos'), send out the call.

In an analysis leading up to the campaign, Lutoff-Perlo said VB&P decided to 'Celebrate what we do. Yes, we are a cruise line. Keep "Modern Luxury." It works. It resonates. We just need to tell our story in a more compelling way.' [From that sprang] "Celebrity Cruises: Modern Luxury lives here," and all the wonderful things we offer.'

A third consideration was how to use the X? 'It's powerful, but it's hard to explain,' Lutoff-Perlo said. The agency 'dialed it up in everything we do, and did it in a lively way.'

It plays a kinetic role in the 'Answer the call' tagline in the television spots, with the X emerging from the center of the ship. In the print ads, it's particularly bold.

The roots for the new campaign were planted last summer when Lutoff-Perlo was not satisfied the brand was moving forward fast enough. She felt it was so important that she personally traveled to advertising agency meetings.

VB&P appreciate the chief executive's involvement, and Venables himself 'likes the fact that I really want to be disruptive,' Lutoff-Perlo said, adding the boutique agency couldn't be a better partner.

In retrospect, the Celebrity chief thinks it was destined for them to work together. In 2011, Lutoff-Perlo saw the Venables Super Bowl spot for Audi that conveyed the brand as 'luxury evolved,' distinguishing it from 'old luxury,' represented by Mercedes—what she called 'a wow ad.'

'It was provocative,' Venables concurred.

For Lutoff-Perlo, Celebrity was the Audi. She burst in to Dan Hanrahan, her boss then, and said: 'That's it! Celebrity is modern luxury.'

And so it has been, ever since.

Edited by Host Andy

If I were a CEO I would ask myself if I really really wanted to compare my company to Audi right now. Just saying.

Hi Orv,

At first glance, I have a million thoughts going through my head. However, I think the bottom line is, will the ads be effective, be enjoyable, and drive sales. Until I have the opportunity to view the TV spot, I'm going to reserve judgement.

One thing I find very appealing, is that Celebrity will be using real officers and crew in the ads. For years, I've been saying that's one of Celebrity's strongest selling points, and I'm glad someone else has noticed this - or, they've read what I've been saying on here :)

The problem with the modern luxury tagline is that I'm nostalgic for the good old times when, as one cartoon post headlined "it's when I was not good and I was not old."

Just as I started to appreciate luxury from a bygone era, a romantic and more sedate time, I was told to move on and get lively with modern stuff. Too many "modern" images are blasted at us as the "hip" seen when I fear that is exactly what my doctor suggests I need replaced. ;)

Thanks for sharing, Andy.

What I find ironic is that Celebrity is putting loads of cash into an ad campaign but their website still stinks big time. You may get the itch to cruise on X, but if you can't negotiate their website, then why bother? I suggest they take some of those ad dollars and put it towards a better website. If every other cruise line can have a working site, why can't X?

Hi Orv,

At first glance, I have a million thoughts going through my head. However, I think the bottom line is, will the ads be effective, be enjoyable, and drive sales. Until I have the opportunity to view the TV spot, I'm going to reserve judgement.

One thing I find very appealing, is that Celebrity will be using real officers and crew in the ads. For years, I've been saying that's one of Celebrity's strongest selling points, and I'm glad someone else has noticed this - or, they've read what I've been saying on here :)

What ever happened to the butlers with the picnic baskets?

Thanks for sharing, Andy.

What I find ironic is that Celebrity is putting loads of cash into an ad campaign but their website still stinks big time. You may get the itch to cruise on X, but if you can't negotiate their website, then why bother? I suggest they take some of those ad dollars and put it towards a better website. If every other cruise line can have a working site, why can't X?

Hi Darcie,

I totally agree that the website should be a major priority, if not the top priority in any monies spent by Celebrity. As I've said for years, they must be losing tons of revenue/profits with a weak website. If they were able to offer much improved content, easier navigation, along with the ability to effectively research and book items such as Cruises (go figure !)... along with onboard items such as Excursions & Specialty Dining for starters....I'd surely think any monies spent would pay for itself in short order. IMO, as long as they have the right folks on the website team, it's money well spent.

With that said, I'm confident that either an updated website, or, perhaps a new website is coming soon. I've tried to obtain additional information, but have been unsuccessful so far. I'm not giving up :)

Edited by Host Andy

Nothing screams Modern like a brisk game of Marco Polo. Do kids today still play it (much less know who he was)?

At the end of the day it's an ad campaign which is designed to attract new or unattached cruisers - so we can't be the judge of it's effectiveness. I just hope for truth in advertising. Nothing worse than over promising for short term gains which then undermine the effort long term.

Some have hit the nail on the head....the ad will trigger some folks to go to the website....the folks that they are targeting are web/internet centric. They expect web sites to work...they expect itinerary maps to map the cruise they are shown for and simple things like that. Once they book, they will encounter the backend of the web site that is really poor....and after the first "the record is in use, come back in 20 minutes", those folks will be out the door thinking that maybe they bought into "prehistoric luxury".

Finally, Celebrity has to deliver what their ads and web site "promise"....modern luxury. Folks...that's not a crowded buffet when boarding; it's not minimally seasoned food; it's not the missing pillow menus, the missing toiletries and so on.

Advertising brings people "into the store"....then it's up to the store to close the deal and create a repeat customer. Oh wait...celebrity doesn't really want repeat customers because they tend to spend less....

I wish them luck....

Edited by ghstudio

If I were a CEO I would ask myself if I really really wanted to compare my company to Audi right now. Just saying.

Interesting question.....Audi makes some excellent cars...but can you trust them? Hmmmm......sounds a bit like Celebrity and the way they implement changes without notice.

Edited by ghstudio

Some have hit the nail on the head....the ad will trigger some folks to go to the website....the folks that they are targeting are web/internet centric. They expect web sites to work...they expect itinerary maps to map the cruise they are shown for and simple things like that. Once they book, they will encounter the backend of the web site that is really poor....and after the first "the record is in use, come back in 20 minutes", those folks will be out the door thinking that maybe they bought into "prehistoric luxury".

Finally, Celebrity has to deliver what their ads and web site "promise"....modern luxury. Folks...that's not a crowded buffet when boarding; it's not minimally seasoned food; it's not the missing pillow menus, the missing toiletries and so on.

Advertising brings people "into the store"....then it's up to the store to close the deal and create a repeat customer. Oh wait...celebrity doesn't really want repeat customers because they tend to spend less....

I wish them luck....

Even though your posts drip with cynicism and sarcasm there is truth in them as well. The idea that modern luxury is defined by having to wait for access to your cabin and having to stand in line at an understaffed and crowed buffet makes me long for True, Old Fashioned Luxury.

If Princess can have embarkation lunch available in a (free) dining room then so could Celebrity. If cabins can't be turned around in time for embarkation then some kind of accommodation could be make for hand luggage to be checked so the elevators are more usable, so there aren't carry-ons edging into the walk ways in the lounges and eateries, etc...

More staff members per guest, a return to more guest space ratio's, less class segregation - those also create a sense of luxury.

The ad will trigger some folks to go to the website....the folks that they are targeting are web/internet centric. They expect web sites to work...they expect itinerary maps to map the cruise they are shown for and simple things like that. Once they book, they will encounter the backend of the web site that is really poor....and after the first "the record is in use, come back in 20 minutes", those folks will be out the door thinking that maybe they bought into "prehistoric luxury".

As someone with 20+ years ad industry exp and a ton of Fortune 200 consumer marketing/brand positioning background, I think this is spot on.

Disregard for a sec whether this is the right creative campaign to draw the targeted audience. X is making a classic mistake and the right agency would have been a true partner by leveling with them and doing their best to dissuade them from launching a campaign until their house was in order.

Marketing 101: fix the glaring pain points that will aggravate your target audience FIRST like the malfunctioning website...THEN launch a smart, differentiated and strategic ad campaign to reel 'em in, so that you make the right impression from the getgo.

What a waste of precious ad dollars: classic cart before horse strategy.

Thanks for posting, by the way :)

Edited by Flafun888

What's wrong with Audi right now?

Seriously? Google is your friend. Google, VW, Audi, diesel emissions cheating scandal. 11 million cars with cheating devices. $Billions in recall and stock losses.

Seriously? Google is your friend. Google, VW, Audi, diesel emissions cheating scandal. 11 million cars with cheating devices. $Billions in recall and stock losses.

Ohhhhh, that whole thing, lol. Yea, I am familiar with that, always associated it as a Volkswagen problem, less an Audi issue. Yea, a situation like that definitely changes the ethical appearance of a company.

Ohhhhh, that whole thing, lol. Yea, I am familiar with that, always associated it as a Volkswagen problem, less an Audi issue. Yea, a situation like that definitely changes the ethical appearance of a company.

If your Audi is one of the effected ones try selling it and see how much of a VW problem it is. My neighbor is going through this right now, he is losing his butt trying to sell a 2013 or 14 Q7 that he almost can't give away. Value has plummeted. The sad part is that he had it sold on ebay at exactly the same time that Audi was included in the scandal and the buyer backed out.

Anyway, I'll get off that topic as it's not really the main idea here. Just a side thought.

Host Andy, many thanks for providing this important information.

Assuming that Celebrity's priority is to drastically increase the % of new patrons in a "younger" age bracket, then previous posters reference to having not first fixed the current malfunctioning and embarassing web site is a spot on analysis. I would agree this is a strategic mistake by Celebrity.

As for the "marco polo" theme - really? Referencing a noisy pool game is the best they can come up with?

That is not luxury, modern or not.

Contrast this to the previous Tina Tuner music used by Celebrity in the past "Simply The Best", now that was an ad campaign that typified luxury and was very, very clear on the messaging to prospective patrons.

The product offering provided by Celebrity today is a much watered down version of the experience when the "Simply The Best" campaign came out.

I find there is nothing uniquely modern nor luxurious on Celebrity that can not be found on my previous cruises on Princess and RCL. Celebrity is a lot of hot air these days - their competitors have caught up with Celebrity when there used to be a substantive gap between Celebrity and the others.

"Marco polo" will not encourage me to book with Celebrity.

ABoatNerd