what side of ship for Pacific Coastal cruise?

travelingla

Curious if it really matters what side of ship to be on when entering ports along the Pacific Coast?

Also on sea days is there much to see on the starboard side? I realize going north there is only water on the port side :D

Thank you!

Which ports will you be entering?

I realize going north there is only water on the port side :D

You better hope that there is water on the other side also. :)

Starboard or port, it is too hard to say as the ships coming into port at various positions. Best to emerge from the ship's bowels to see the sail away and arrivals.

Other than entering or leaving a port . There is not difference . The land will be a grey line on the horizon.

Much of the time it is a very small grey line. Over 1/2 the time we could not see even a hint of the coast line on our last Pacific Cruise. Should be obvious that one would want to be on Starboard side if you are cruising north and Port if going south for about 30-40 minutes entering and leaving each port.

At most of the ports I can think of, it wouldn't matter, but I think port side is the better choice. San Diego - best view at sail-away is aft-facing, as the sunset reflects on the buildings downtown. San Pedro or Long Beach - not much to see either place that you don't see on boarding. Catalina - you'll never know which way the ship will be facing while out in the bay. Santa Barbara - same. San Francisco - both sides are beautiful, but it you're sailing out at night, the lights of the city are gorgeous from the port side. Seattle - don't know if it can vary, but our ship docked with the port side towards the city. Here's our first glimpse of the city when waking up:

0252Seattle012_zpsf2f54621.jpg

Vancouver, again there's gorgeous scenery both sides, with the city on the starboard side (when sailing into port) and the mountains on the port side. As others have said, there's very little to see while at sea.

Curious if it really matters what side of ship to be on when entering ports along the Pacific Coast?

Also on sea days is there much to see on the starboard side? I realize going north there is only water on the port side :D

Thank you!

Depends what ports. Coming into Vancouver it makes no difference, you will probably be on the top deck outside anyway but, if not, going into Vancouver you get to see one side and going out, you see the other.

Same as going up the coast, if you have the sea side on the way up, you will have the land side on the way back down.

Sailing up the inside passage you will probably be on deck as well but if not, you will see the mainland or Vancouver Island on the way up and the opposite on the way back down.

For my coastal on the Solstice, this was the view in Astoria from the starboard side:

232323232%7Ffp43446%3Enu%3D75%3B%3A%3E%3A%3A%3B%3E238%3EWSNRCG%3D345%3A9395%3A4329nu0mrj

Heading north, I would opt for the starboard side simply because it "feels" right. :D You might see some lights on San Clemente Island, Catalina, etc. on your port side as you head out of San Diego in the evening and then you might possibly see the usual large grouping of container ships waiting to get into the Port of LA as you pass that port on your right.

As you head north from Santa Barbara, you'll see very little land at all. For my first few coastals, I figured I'd see a lot more than that. Never did. Also, fog can be a problem. We've been through many days & nights of the fog horn blaring every 8-10 mins. It's an interesting itinerary though. Enjoy it!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I appreciate all the great tips.... this will be about my 21 cruise... did AK twice but first cruise up Calif coast. We booked port balcony near aft stairs as that was about all that was available rather mid-ship.... our preference and on a level sandwiched between other cabins above & below.

We'll happily stay where we are. We enjoy breakfast on our balcony entering ports if view is good---otherwise we definitely go up top for the wonderful views.

Someone asked the ports... 9 between San Diego to Vancouvet on thevCelebrity Infinity... a fabulous itinerary.

Thanks again--- I'll keep ours--esp since pricing jumped up this week! 😩

Here are the ports that I know about:

Santa Barbara...ship will be anchored in the harbor. The city is lovely & there is a nice view of the Channel Islands if it's clear.

But as you sail away, the port side will give you a better view of the Channel Islands.

Regardless of which side, be on the watch for whales. They are migrating to Alaska now & at least thru May/June.

San Francisco...either side.

Seattle...if it's daylight & you're up early enough, you might still be in the Straits of San Juan de Fuca before entering Puget Sound.

If so, on the Portside you will see Vancouver Island. On the Starboard side, you will see the Olympic Peninsula with the Olympic Mountains rising up from the sea.

Watch for whales & Orcas in the Straits, Puget Sound, & the Inside Passage to Vancouver. Also bald eagles.

Seattle docked, either side.