Alaska Tours

mcrcruiser

Juneau we did whale watching and it was awesome. Had a helicopter tour scheduled the other time and it got cancelled because of fog. :(

Skagway we've done White Pass, and it was an incredible trip, just book it through the ship because the train occasionally gets back late. We've also done the Eagle Preserve in Haines, which was by far one of the best things we've ever done.

In Ketchikan, honestly there wasn't all much there that I would recommend. The lumberjack show is completely hokey and Saxman's Village, IMO, made me a bit depressed. (I'm of Native American ancestry, so it was a little difficult for me...)

We have cruised Alaska 11 times and are going again in May. By far the best tours in Alaska are (in order):

1. Island Wings floatplane in Ketchikan

2. Dogsled ride on Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau

3. Tracy Arms Glacier Explorer

4. Orca Enterprises Whale Watching with Capt. Larry in Juneau

Edited by kennelgang

Whale watching with Harv &Marv....great!

Skagway train....but noticed there was some sort of hike that got dropped from off the train...then was picked up when the train was heading back to town. That looked like a good excursion. I talked to some that did that hike . . . and they liked it.

Ketchikan......we rented a motorcycle. (Panhandle) Not a lot of places to go.....but we had fun! Stopped here and there....hiked to a beach...... visited totem park on our own schedule.......and caught insects for our daughter's collection. We stored them in our mini fridge in containers......no one said a word. Its legal to collect.....if dead. Customs didn't bat an eye & it was our only claim.

Alaska was great fun....it helped we had perfect weather.

Edited by crilski

Whale watching at Icy Straight with Misty Bay Lodge- Awesome

Did the Wilderness Exploration and crab feast in Ketchikan - Crab feast was really good. (ship tour)

Taku Lodge in Juneau- Bears were within 10 feet and the salmon was really good. (ship tour)

K2 Aviation in Talkeetna flightseeing to Mt. McKinley with Glacier Landing ( pricey, but Great) Alaska was the Best Vacation we ever did!

Out of Skagway we took a tour, a rare cruise ship tour, that took us up about 1/3 of the way on the White Pass Railroad. At that point, after having made sandwiches from the spread set out by our guides, we got off and headed up with our hiking poles and water, up the Laughton Glacier. Three or four guides carried huge packs with extra water and supplies for us, but we each carried our own little pack with water and sandwich and a few provided snacks - nuts, candy bar, etc. We walked up over the river a couple times back and forth, scrambling on rocks and ascending about 3-1/2 miles. It was GREAT. Views phenomenal. Only getting way off the beaten path (and there WAS no path, believe me, it was just picking your way up a general direction) can you see this beauty. Up at the top a few people made it to walk on the glacier. It was pretty icy walking by that time and I came about 100 yards short of it, but I still had a great time. Walking back down to catch the train again we had freezing icy rain and it was so very cold.

We were like drowned rats by then and people on the train really wondered what was going on when it stopped for the group of us.

Our butler literally met us in the hall with hot chocolate and I had a long hot bath (definitely a perk that I loved that cruise). We've had other great excursions, but that one was the most memorable. I think it was called White Pass and Laughton Glacier Hike or something like that. Very strenuous. Very worth it.

The next most memorable was kayaking in the beautiful waters on a gorgeous day out of Ketchikan. A rare clear day there. We had so much fun.

We have cruised Alaska 11 times and are going again in May. By far the best tours in Alaska are (in order):

1. Island Wings floatplane in Ketchikan

2. Dogsled ride on Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau

3. Tracy Arms Glacier Explorer

4. Orca Enterprises Whale Watching with Capt. Larry in Juneau

Well now I'm super excited - we have your #1 & #2 excursions booked for this May!!!! :D