Nationality of Guests onboard

just curious from those who have travelled on Fred Olsen (and particularly BLACK WATCH), what is the general mix of nationalities of guests onboard? Is it mostly English or ????

We have sailed on Braemar many times and the vast majority of the passengers have been British. Friends of ours sailed with Fred from one of the Scottish ports and they said the majority of passengers on that cruise were Scots.

Pugwash123

On most of our Fred cruises passengers have been mainly British. That said we did the Scotish islands cruise from Rosyth and there was a vast mix of nationalities on that one. Americans and Austrailians who had added the cruise to their trip to the Uk to visits the islands the easy way. Scandinavians, Germans, Japanese etc as well.

It does probably depend on the cruise to an extent.

just curious from those who have travelled on Fred Olsen (and particularly BLACK WATCH), what is the general mix of nationalities of guests onboard? Is it mostly English or ????

Don't Fred very occasionally allow tame and civilised Jocks from north of Hadrian's Wall to join their shiped named after the 42nd Foot, aka The Royal Highland Regiment :) - if they promise to behave !!!

Not sure about Welsh and Irish though !!!

Edited by WeeCountyMan
spelling

Don't Fred very occasionally allow tame and civilised Jocks from north of Hadrian's Wall to join their shiped named after the 42nd Foot, aka The Royal Highland Regiment :) - if they promise to behave !!!

Not sure about Welsh and Irish though !!!

Like it.

We do not know what personality the OP is, since the post was written at 2am,so could well be someone from North America. It still needs to be pointed out that there are four countries within the British Isles, but I can perhaps understand that maybe the person was not thinking that the time.

The captains often mention the nationality of the passengers on board at the welcomeparty and the number of each, and there usually are some people who are not British. We have spoken to some of them on some cruises, but sometimes they are living in the UK at the time. I think that is partly because most of Fred's cruises sail from the UK, but we have not been on a sector of a world cruise.

You do get a wider range of people on the more unusual cruises to places that are not offered by other cruise lines. The majority are still British even then and the others usually speak English fluently, so tend to be Dutch or Scandinavian, though we did become quite friendly with a German lady on one cruise.

I see no reason why someone of another nationality would not be welcome on board if they chose to travel on Fred though, but would suggest they looked at what Fred offers, since they do not offer the same sort of cruise experience that the larger ships do e.g. meal times are quite limited in time and there are set sittings for dinner, so passengers eat at the same table with the same people for the whole cruise, unless they go into the self service.

When we were on the Braemar going to the Amazon, there was an American couple on board and when the Cruise Director announced that tomorrow night was British night, the American said "every night is British night on this ship"...:')

When we were on the Braemar going to the Amazon, there was an American couple on board and when the Cruise Director announced that tomorrow night was British night, the American said "every night is British night on this ship"...:')

We do not like the idea of British night at all and often feel embarrassed when in the company of non Brits. The German Lady I mentioned previously did wear red, white and blue on British night and my husband asked jovially if she was supporting France or Holland..........................

Our first cruise was on Princess in the Caribbean and was 95% Brits (it was marketed for UK clientele) with a few Yanks making up the numbers.

The first night the UK comedian did his turn he had to pause and explain aspects of a few jokes which went over the heads of the American contingent !!!

If memory serves (for example), one was the old chestnut about the stranger asking a local if there was a B and Q in whatever town........the Yanks sat bewildered at the punchline.

We do not like the idea of British night at all and often feel embarrassed when in the company of non Brits. The German Lady I mentioned previously did wear red, white and blue on British night and my husband asked jovially if she was supporting France or Holland..........................

I agree with you that it is always an embarrassing event. I have always thought the idea that was used on some long FOCL cruises was to have a "red, white and blue" night which covers the UK, France, Netherlands, USA and many other countries.