Medication

Dawnn.Marie

As a mother, I think she has a reasonable concern. She wants to be sensitive to her daughter's position in not wanting to zip-line, but she is concerned about her daughter's safety if she ventures out on her own. Geesh, give a mom a break.

OP, you might look into other excursions. I think that there are some that offer ziplining as an "add-on", which would mean that your daughter is still with the group while you go off for the adventure portion of the excursion. Check out the ports-of-call section for advice here.

Thank you! I do have a reasonable concern as my "adult" daughter has a seizure disorder. My concern is her safety. I'll look into the ports of call like you suggested. I appreciate your response.

To answer the question of hers that has so far gone mostly ignored: yes, you can bring your own blow dryer and curling irons. Women's hair care are pretty much the only electric appliances not confiscated if found in your luggage--the cruise lines know who not to mess with. But be warned that there is no plug in the bathroom, and the one plug in the cabin may not be in the most convenient place--and it will likely not supply enough power to achieve maximum heat.

And back to the pills: no there is no issue carrying a weekly pill organizer on or off the ship. Your only concern is that you are flying into Florida. Due to the strict "anti pill mill" laws you will be in hot water if stopped by a local LEO and one of the pills has inadvertently come loose. You should definitely bring copies of the scrip if you have any narcotics or any of the popular "behavioral stimulants" given to teens and young adults. (I don't mean this to be another unfounded assumption about your daughter as above). In fact it is always a good idea to have your pharmacy print out your full list of meds to take along when travelling.

I will also repeat that you should inquire at the tour desk if there are "companion" tickets available for the zip line excursion. There may also be a different excursion to the same location that does not include the zip line, but may leave at a different time on a different transport. You can always research the port as to visiting the zip line provider independently; they may have different admission prices based on level of activity chosen.

Thank you so much for your response. Truly valuable information. Someone else also suggested having the pharmacy print a list of the medications which are mainly asthma meds and seizure meds. No narcotics or stimulants. As well as researching the port. Thanks again :)

Exactly! I don't want her to be alone on the ship. I mean, I know that there will more than likely be other people on the ship. I really want her to enjoy this experience and see Belize.

I keep going back to the question of what does SHE want to do........have you asked her? Maybe she wants to spend the day alone on the ship. Maybe she wants to see wild birds on an excursion, or whatever. So far I'm hearing a lot about what you want for her, but no indication that you know what she wants for herself. She's an adult; she should know what she would want and at most you can help to see if she can make it happen.

I have never zip-lined, have no desire to...But it seems to me that the zip-line starts in one place and ends in another. It's possible that the vehicle will let you off at one end, and pick you up at the other. Don't know if there is any observation point between. If she watched you start, she would then have to find her way to the end of the line (no pun intended). Or maybe she could stay on the bus and go to the end and see you reach the finish? But either way, she would be paying full price for the excursion, as you buy a seat on the vehicle. but as I said, I have no experience, I am just speculating. You might go to the forum here for your cruise line and ask if anyone has done this excursion, or go to the Ports of Call forum for Belize and ask for details of the excursion. EM

Since we have no choice but to fly to embarkation ports, I keep all medications in their original bottles.

I have a small medical bag to keep all medical bottles in -- and it goes in my carry-on.

Over the years since 9/11, TSA has checked that medical bag a few times and did read the labels on some of the bottles.

Hi Everyone,

I have been following these boards for several weeks, and have received a lot of useful information. I am cruising for the first time with my adult daughter June 3rd and have not seen any post regarding medication or other question that I have.These may seem silly but I'd rather be prepared. So here goes.........

1. Does prescribed medication need to be in the original prescription containers or can they be in one of those weekly (Sat- Sun) containers? I plan on placing the medication in my carry-on luggage.

2. Can I bring my own blow dryer and curling iron?

3. I want to zip line in Belize, however, my daughter is terrified and absolutely refuses to go zip lining. I don't want her to stay on the ship or wandering around the port/ Belize by herself. What are her options?

Thank you in advance!

Regardless of what other people say they do, the actual answer to question #1 is no.

Ref question #2, yes. My wife always takes her own. The only problems she ever had was on NCL. For some reason, on NCL, her blow dryer always kicks the breaker in the room. We've never had that problem on the 5 other lines we've sailed.

A tip for taking only a smaller amount of medication but in an properly labelled bottle: ask your pharmacy staff to give you a small bottle with the prescription label on it for traveling. Even if places in the Caribbean loop might be OK with you carrying a week's worth of meds in an unlabelled container, there are other places in the world that will not, so why not get a smaller-sized but properly labeled bottle to travel with?

This seems like an unnecessary faff. In Denmark, most prescriptions come in blister packs inside of a box similar to OTC cold/allergy medicine or birth control pills in the States. The blister packs have the name of the meds on the back, but there's no way to tell for sure that they've been prescribed to the person who's carrying them. I've travelled all over the world with my Danish prescriptions and have never once been questioned.

Hi Everyone,

I have been following these boards for several weeks, and have received a lot of useful information. I am cruising for the first time with my adult daughter June 3rd and have not seen any post regarding medication or other question that I have.These may seem silly but I'd rather be prepared. So here goes.........

1. Does prescribed medication need to be in the original prescription containers or can they be in one of those weekly (Sat- Sun) containers? I plan on placing the medication in my carry-on luggage.

3. I want to zip line in Belize, however, my daughter is terrified and absolutely refuses to go zip lining. I don't want her to stay on the ship or wandering around the port/ Belize by herself. What are her options?

Thank you in advance!

1. I tend to err on the side of caution and bring the original containers in my carry on, but also have a small weekly pill container to hold the meds I need for the trip once I get to the cabin (so I don't forget if I took it). If it is a blister pack there should be no issue, the same with inhalers or epi-pens.

2. I have always used the in-cabin blow dryer and haven't had issues with a bringing a curling iron. Check your cruise line's packing guide to be sure though.

3. We did a zip line/cave tubing excursion in Belize last year through Norwegian which also included a lunch. I think several of the cruise lines stop at the same site. My remembrance of it is that your daughter should be able to watch you - it goes quick, so she will probably want to wait at the end. Maybe the tubing is something you could enjoy together - I found it very relaxing.

The zip line staff did a good job of helping me even though I was nervous, but if your daughter really doesn't want to do it I agree with respecting her wishes.

Have a great trip!

You daughter can go with you can see if your daughter can you with you ziplining but you she doesn't do the excursion. If she is an adult she can just stay in the port area or the beach. I take my meds in my tote. usually in the prescription bottles. I have never had a problem. Yes to flat iron. Unsure about blow dryer. I feel like they have one in the room...whichever cruise line you are cruising with check there FAQ you should find an answer there.

• 2 weeks later...
A tip for taking only a smaller amount of medication but in an properly labelled bottle: ask your pharmacy staff to give you a small bottle with the prescription label on it for traveling. Even if places in the Caribbean loop might be OK with you carrying a week's worth of meds in an unlabelled container, there are other places in the world that will not, so why not get a smaller-sized but properly labeled bottle to travel with?

I agree that you should never check medication and always have more than a day's worth in your carry on. There are too many times where things don't go as planned and you might not be reunited with your checked bags when you think, or their contents might have been damaged.

I also have the pharmacist put mine in small bottles and they fit inside a little mesh bage and don't take up that much room. I used to just carry the pill boxes that identified the days until I saw a man pulled aside and asked if he had the prescription or the original bottles. I don't know what the outcome was, as we were moved along through, but my heart was beating fast since I didn't have the originals either. Since then, I take small bottles and sort them out into the pill box once I'm in my cabin.

• 2 months later...
Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance!

I always carry my medication in my carry on bag. I don't want to risk needing a medication and not have access to it because of a delay in luggage delivery. I also carry my medications in their original bottle.

I always bring my own hair dryer and have never had an issue.

Are there no excursions that interest your daughter? Is she nervous/reluctant about going on an excursion alone/without you being there?

She could take advantage of an almost empty ship and enjoy an uncrowded pool, enjoy discounted spa services while in port, etc.

I carry my meds in 7 day containers, I also carry pictures of the label with the pharmacy description receipt, i.e. med xxx, green, oval marked g400. I have 1 class A narcotic that I carry in the original bottle and its on my medic alert.

I know this is after the fact, but just want to mention the meds thing. I do use little pill bags to keep track of my meds but I bring the bottles as well.

One year DD and I did a Bahamas cruise out of NYC in January. We sailed back in to a whopping blizzard! Two days before we docked, Jet Blue had already cancelled our flight home (and the airports were all closed). Fortunately, my husband texted us as soon as Jet Blue called to give us the rescheduled flight. We whipped down to the Internet lounge, scored an awesome deal on a hotel by Times Square and had an excellent extra 3 days. Fortunately, we both had more than enough meds with us too! It's a pain to carry those bottles, but better to have them JUST in case. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always used the weekly pill sorters where each day comes out for carrying with you, that way I lock the majority of my meds in the safe, and just carry with me each day what I need. But, I always bring a couple of extra days with with me just in case. I also have have an old pill bottle that I keep assorted otc pain meds, TUMS, etc. These are ALWAYS carried in my purse while traveling.

As far as answering to anybody either leaving the country, or returning to it, all my meds are listed on my pharmacy app.

In all my travels, and 13 cruises, no one has ever looked at them, much less questioned me.

And, my husband and I each carry a list of our meds, and doses. If we're ever incapacitated, first responders have a quick reference.

I travel internationally for work. 8 to 10 2 week trips per year, plus some domestic travel.

I ALWAYS carry my meds in the 8 compartment boxes, and have never had a problem or even a questions. But yes, anything narcotic (serious pain meds, stimulants, narcotic sleep aids, etc) I would only carry in the original bottle.

I put the number of boxes I need into a quart ziplock bag to capture any loose ones if a compartment comes open.

And lastly, ALWAYS in the carry on. Both to make sure you have them and secondly to prevent theft. Thieves might not know what meds you are taking and grab them just in case.

This seems like an unnecessary faff. In Denmark, most prescriptions come in blister packs inside of a box similar to OTC cold/allergy medicine or birth control pills in the States. The blister packs have the name of the meds on the back, but there's no way to tell for sure that they've been prescribed to the person who's carrying them. I've travelled all over the world with my Danish prescriptions and have never once been questioned.

This is because "pill counting" stopped in Europe, so all pills come in marked blister packs.