Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

We are booked on the inaugural, Sky Suite 9189. We are going to the Edge Tour event in St Petersburg on Friday, very excited to see things more up close and personal.

How did you book the inaugural? They have not as of yet announced anything. If you have booked it what is the ninety and when is it? We are booked for a March cruise but would be interested in the inaugural as well.

Charles

How did you book the inaugural? They have not as of yet announced anything. If you have booked it what is the ninety and when is it? We are booked for a March cruise but would be interested in the inaugural as well.

Charles

Actually the booking for the Edge opened on March 13th and I booked a Sunset Veranda that day. Then a couple weeks later, we had our travel agent call and see if there was availability for a Sky Suite and there were 2, so we took both since our moms are going with us. Not sure what you mean by "ninety" in your question. Today is the Edge Mobile Tour in St Pete, Florida...going to that ...hoping to see some new pics that we have yet to see.

So today we went to the Edge Mobile Tour. It was pretty interesting to watch this 15min animated movie. Easier to imagine the spaces once we saw it "live" and moving, with people walking in the spaces, camera moving and seeing the magic carpet move up and down. They said only 25% of the ship has been revealed. They are doing it in stages to prevent other cruise lines copying and implementing the innovations before the Edge sets sail. The next reveal will be a culinary one in June, describing all the restaurants. Supposedly at that time, reservations will be enabled for restaurants. The reveal after that will be later in summer I think and will be the entertainment reveal, such as theatre, spa etc. They said they thought it would head to the Mediterranean May 2019 but hasnt been confirmed yet. Sailings beyond May 2019 should be published this October. The Infinite veranda works a little different than I thought. Actually serves 2 purposes...open the doors and you have more room in cabin and it can still be enclosed. Open up what appears to be a large window next, which slides down to where the glass barrier would be and you have your veranda. Pretty interesting . It's gonna be one gorgeous ship! The design elements are so high end!

Charles

We're on the inaugural as well. Just call Celebrity to book; there are plenty of cabins available.

Actually the booking for the Edge opened on March 13th and I booked a Sunset Veranda that day. Then a couple weeks later, we had our travel agent call and see if there was availability for a Sky Suite and there were 2, so we took both since our moms are going with us. Not sure what you mean by "ninety" in your question. Today is the Edge Mobile Tour in St Pete, Florida...going to that ...hoping to see some new pics that we have yet to see.

Leave it to spell check to screw things up. When sailings were announced we immediately booked a March cruise. I have heard nothing about being able to book the inaugural cruise. It will obviously start in France but know nothing else. I am assuming it will be a TA as it has to be in Fla for its Dec bookings going forward, When you state that you have booked its inaugural are you talking about its France departure? How does one find out what its inaugural cruise itinerary will be? What have you booked?

Charles

Leave it to spell check to screw things up. When sailings were announced we immediately booked a March cruise. I have heard nothing about being able to book the inaugural cruise. It will obviously start in France but know nothing else. I am assuming it will be a TA as it has to be in Fla for its Dec bookings going forward, When you state that you have booked its inaugural are you talking about its France departure? How does one find out what its inaugural cruise itinerary will be? What have you booked?

Charles

Hi Charles, the first paying passenger/revenue generating cruise is the Dec 16 Eastern Caribbean cruise. I don't remember where I saw it, but it was something from Celebrity, that there isn't going to be a transatlantic cruise offering for passengers. My opinion is that given the number of outdoor areas, there would be a lot of disappointment for passengers on a transatlantic in early December. When we did the Quantum transatlantic in November 2014, the outside areas were closed most of the time because of the weather and rougher seas.

Of course, anything could change, but right now, the first paying passenger cruise is the one on the 16th of December.

Hope this helps,

Joanna

Hi Charles, the first paying passenger/revenue generating cruise is the Dec 16 Eastern Caribbean cruise. I don't remember where I saw it, but it was something from Celebrity, that there isn't going to be a transatlantic cruise offering for passengers. My opinion is that given the number of outdoor areas, there would be a lot of disappointment for passengers on a transatlantic in early December. When we did the Quantum transatlantic in November 2014, the outside areas were closed most of the time because of the weather and rougher seas.

Of course, anything could change, but right now, the first paying passenger cruise is the one on the 16th of December.

Hope this helps,

Joanna

I read or heard that somewhere (Celebrity) also.

Hope this helps,

Joanna

I was hoping they would offer an initial cruise from the port where the ship was given birth to to its home in Florida. Certainly it is not crossing empty as there are way too many people like myself who would be interested in its truly inaugural cruise. Having crossed the ocean in excess of 8 voyages we have been very fortunate. Other than our crossing from northern Europe all of our crossings have been of the southern variety and I can honestly tell you that we have never had anything approaching a "bumpy ride". Almost all have been as calm as can be and reasonably warm considering they have all been Fall TA's ....so we're talking about November/December. There is no way it is coming across empty. They may be saving it for special invites if not making it available to us.

Charles

I was hoping they would offer an initial cruise from the port where the ship was given birth to to its home in Florida. Certainly it is not crossing empty as there are way too many people like myself who would be interested in its truly inaugural cruise. Having crossed the ocean in excess of 8 voyages we have been very fortunate. Other than our crossing from northern Europe all of our crossings have been of the southern variety and I can honestly tell you that we have never had anything approaching a "bumpy ride". Almost all have been as calm as can be and reasonably warm considering they have all been Fall TA's ....so we're talking about November/December. There is no way it is coming across empty. They may be saving it for special invites if not making it available to us.

Charles

X is repeating the introduction process they used for Solstice's Inaugural. She crossed the Atlantic without paying passengers. Her inaugural sailing was Nov. 23, 2008 in the Caribbean (we were on it).

There are, I believe, 2 two night sailings before the revenue sailing on Dec. 16th. The ship's naming ceremony will occur on the first sailing. These sailings are by invitation, for VIP's, travel agents, the Press, etc..

X is repeating the introduction process they used for Solstice's Inaugural. She crossed the Atlantic without paying passengers. Her inaugural sailing was Nov. 23, 2008 in the Caribbean (we were on it).

There are, I believe, 2 two night sailings before the revenue sailing on Dec. 16th. The ship's naming ceremony will occur on the first sailing. These sailings are by invitation, for VIP's, travel agents, the Press, etc..

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info. I guess we'll just have to wait till our March 3rd booking.

Charles

Just to clarify ... the naming ceremony won´t be on the first revenue cruise starting Dec 16th but pretty likely on one of the previous pre inaugurals which are invitation only. Can be just one pre inaugural but I assume it´s at least 2 2-nighters. Depending on whether the ship is fully finished there might be another pre inaugural out of Europe somewhere (maybe Hamburg, maybe Rotterdam or Eemshaven, maybe Southampton).

steamboats

Depending on whether the ship is fully finished there might be another pre inaugural out of Europe somewhere (maybe Hamburg, maybe Rotterdam or Eemshaven, maybe Southampton).

steamboats

My guess would be Southampton.

In January, 2016 Lisa Lutoff-Perlo gave an interview regarding Edge to agents in the U.K. She hinted to them that they might get the first peek at Edge after she launches. Things may have changed since this article, but this was X's intention at the time.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/celebrity-cruises-gaining-an-edge-in-the-market-2658

I'm told that the blocks in the first photo belong to the Edge.

23748a951c7f2edf65b43d34fdad40b6.jpg

I've seen the shipyard code J34 on this block that ensures that it's Edge.

4edc0396a6d6ed8e28561178b0de4574.jpg

4d52f3c484414a7985f502fd0261e457.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

My guess would be Southampton.

In January, 2016 Lisa Lutoff-Perlo gave an interview regarding Edge to agents in the U.K. She hinted to them that they might get the first peek at Edge after she launches. Things may have changed since this article, but this was X's intention at the time.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/celebrity-cruises-gaining-an-edge-in-the-market-2658

Thanks for the link... although over a year old, it was well worth reading..lots of information, bits and pieces about Edge class but no big secrets let out,

Learned that LLP was with Royal C for 30 yrs....diff approach to cruising than what X used to be, and we see more " Royalizing " as time passes. She noted that formal nights were eliminated b/c they were a barrier to cruising and that X plans much more advertising...

The take away quote for us was:

"We are looking to raise our prices. That’s our mission.”

Lisa lutoff-Perlo

IMHO...That will succeed if onboard experience is brought back to a higher level...service, dining, entertainment/live music, lectures, website!

When we did the Quantum transatlantic in November 2014, the outside areas were closed most of the time because of the weather and rougher seas.

Hmmm.....I don't remember that, but do remember using the Flowrider on at least on 3 occasions. Also, the routes are not really comparable - Edge will be going on the southern route.

Depending on whether the ship is fully finished there might be another pre inaugural out of Europe somewhere (maybe Hamburg, maybe Rotterdam or Eemshaven, maybe Southampton).

Bring the ship from south of France to a northern port in Dec? Unlikely.

I have also seen that ships aren't necessarily completely finished when they leave the shipyard. Often times there is interior finishing to be done while en route to their inaugural.