What to do in Grand Cayman?

BubbaLuvin

I was hoping to hit a beach in Grand Cayman, but I read about the tiki beach which is where both beach offerings are. Everything I read said tiki beach is awful. All the other excursions look like dolphin or sting ray or reef encounters.

In Cozumel we are doing that submarine thing, and I thought I read there was in Grand Cayman. I was going to switch and try to do the submarine in GC and a beach in Cozumel, but the submarine thing isn't listed on the excursion list.

What else is there to do?

And hope there aren't 6 big ships in port at the same time... Check whatsinport.com for your cruise date--it WILL effect what you do. :o

We just went shopping and eating off ship once and while waiting on the girls, decided spur of the moment to do a discounted helicopter ride. Found the girls and they were okay with more shopping time and it was a great excursion. Flew over stingrays, up 7 mile beach and then over the ships tendered before back to airport. I liked it too as we knew the weather was sunny and clear, thus the views were the typical Caribbean pictures they show. Pilot flew over our ship so I could take some pictures.

Swimming with the Sting Rays is pretty amazing. Your 70 year old mother could get in the water or watch from the boat. You don't really swim with the Sting Rays, you can stand - if you're not too short. My 5'2" daughter had a few waves wash over her. I at 5'10" had no trouble at all. I would book a private excursion.

That sounds nice!

I just read maybe we should take a cab to Royal Palms.

This is what we plan to do in October, weather permitting. [emoji3][emoji267][emoji259].

I know my mom would love that, and she's 83.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another option is to stay on the ship. You will have it to yourselves. The breezes will be great since you are at anchor. The gym and pool areas are very quiet. There will be specials in the spa too. Six ships were lined up with us on my last cruise. It's hot out, and the tendering can be very warm as well. Strictly a personal decision, but something to consider if you would like a quiet relaxing day on board.

Oh my goodness. There is so much to do in Grand Cayman. DYI excursions are easy and plenty of them!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147365-Activities-Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

TY

I think we are going to take a taxi to Royal Palms. Now I have another question. How much time do I need to leave to make sure we get back to the boat that will take us to the ship?

Another option is to stay on the ship. You will have it to yourselves. The breezes will be great since you are at anchor. The gym and pool areas are very quiet. There will be specials in the spa too. Six ships were lined up with us on my last cruise. It's hot out, and the tendering can be very warm as well. Strictly a personal decision, but something to consider if you would like a quiet relaxing day on board.

Agree! We find most Caribbean cruises we will look for one port of call to miss so we can enjoy our 'private yacht'!

Isn't grand cayman the home of '7 mile beach'? Surely there is a good beach somewhere even if not an 'excursion'. Grand cayman is a safe island, can def just hop off the ship and taxi somewhere.

We did stingray city which is awesome there. But understand that your mom may not be up for that. The water is high and it's difficult to stand w the rays circling you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gets very congested on the roads, limited routes, ..leave more time than u think you'll need.

When we used to get off at GC we went back to the port area super early, and spent time at the nearby flea market...great crafts and local foods..

Stay on ship time...

Gets very congested on the roads, limited routes, ..leave more time than u think you'll need.

When we used to get off at GC we went back to the port area super early, and spent time at the nearby flea market...great crafts and local foods..

Stay on ship time...

I do know to leave more time, but how long will it take to wait for the boat to get back on the ship? If I have to be on the ship at 3:30. Do I need to head back at 1? Will it take 2.5 hours?

Royal Palms would be a good choice with your Mom, very relaxing. Just puttering around the port area is very nice as well. The shopping was good & the craft stalls were not pushy. One of our favorite islands

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last summer my mom and I took a taxi to 7 Mile Beach. I was in a walking cast (broken foot) and it was a bit of an inconvenience but I still enjoyed. We went near Calico Jack's to the public beach. I can't remember the price for two chairs and an umbrella but it wasn't anywhere near as expensive as we paid the day before for two chairs in Jamaica! There was a clean bathroom and changing room, a cart selling drinks and food off the beach, a play ground and we are not bothered on the beach more than once or twice. The water was great as well. I was luckily cleared by my doctor to take the cast off just long enough to get in and out of the water!

I do know to leave more time, but how long will it take to wait for the boat to get back on the ship? If I have to be on the ship at 3:30. Do I need to head back at 1? Will it take 2.5 hours?

As I stated earlier, you really need to check out how many cruise ships will be in port. It will REALLY effect the timing of everything. It took us @ 3 hours just to get off the ship--we did not stand in line to get tender tickets, just waited to the "all clear" announcement. Got off @ 1 pm after a 10 am arrival.

As I stated earlier, you really need to check out how many cruise ships will be in port. It will REALLY effect the timing of everything. It took us @ 3 hours just to get off the ship--we did not stand in line to get tender tickets, just waited to the "all clear" announcement. Got off @ 1 pm after a 10 am arrival.

Oh I see now. TY