SailorJill and I Sail on the Orient Express a.k.a. Millenium's Immersion Cruise

SailorJack

We have arrived in our second port in Taiwan - Kaohsiung. It is on the opposite end of the island and the port is the largest in Taiwan. The city itself is just shy of 3 million people and we actually enjoyed this port more than that of Taipei. Many of the passengers we talked with commented that they would have rather spent two days here rather than in Keelung - we agreed.

However, our first introduction to Kaohsiung was not all that promising - given some of the rusting ships we passed on the way to the pier.

34513099992_48887d564f_k.jpg

33864945033_e73d54879a_k.jpg

34633967426_e19f337a11_k.jpg

Then there was this behemoth. I could even begin to count the number of containers on this ship!

34633967846_11fdc2c526_k.jpg

The official entrance to the city.

34633965626_2318b73f94_k.jpg

Just inside the gate to the city we came across this vendor. Normally we avoid street food, but the aroma coming from this stand was so enticing we walked over and joined the 20 or so people lined up to buy her product.

34564607951_7fe87bde2b_k.jpg

In the end we would up buying a couple - this is our order being filled - and they were delicious. So far, no ill effects from our first foray into eating street food!:D

34533230702_6a696ecab9_k.jpg

Transportation for a family of four. I am assuming there are no child seat requirements in Taiwan.

34289774280_c08193bb48_o.jpg

Even the street cleaners use bikes for transportation. I was also impressed with the bus in the background. It looks like you are looking right through it at a building on the other side.

34544489041_89a3885559_o.jpg

Parks were well maintained and almost all of them included some sort of whimsical statuary like the one here.

33864919123_f3a198982c_o.jpg

Downtown Kaohsiung - mostly new architecture.

34633964436_81aa56f4e8_k.jpg

But some more traditional architecture in the background.

34633962526_34f9b2f4f9_k.jpg

And there was a lot of restoration work going on as well. This was a very vibrant city.

34633961556_f01c67bfba_k.jpg

While in Taiwan if you don't like Chinese food there is always....

33832158894_5970424ae5_k.jpg

I was really tempted to take a peek in here as I have no idea what a hush drinker might be.:D

Or perhaps....

34544484811_11ce829041_k.jpg

Bar-b-que?

Then there is always the old standby.....

34544495461_18ab040ab9_k.jpg

It must do a good business as there are five delivery motorcycles lined up.

Sailor Jack,

Would you happen to have a copy of the Dailies (I think that's what they call it) with a list of daily activities that you'd be able to post? We are going on the Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, south Korea and Shanghai itinerary next March. This would be our first Celebrity cruise so it would give us an idea of the different activities onboard. Are there line dancing classes, ballroom dance classes, poolside games, trivia games, theme parties at night, etc. with the cruise director and his staff? Also would you have a copy of the menu from the main dining room?

Thank you!

Sailor Jack,

Would you happen to have a copy of the Dailies (I think that's what they call it) with a list of daily activities that you'd be able to post? We are going on the Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, south Korea and Shanghai itinerary next March. This would be our first Celebrity cruise so it would give us an idea of the different activities onboard. Are there line dancing classes, ballroom dance classes, poolside games, trivia games, theme parties at night, etc. with the cruise director and his staff? Also would you have a copy of the menu from the main dining room?

Thank you!

I think I still have most of the dailies stashed in my desk somewhere. I am not sure how to post them, but if there is a way I will be more than happy to do so.

Jack

I think I still have most of the dailies stashed in my desk somewhere. I am not sure how to post them, but if there is a way I will be more than happy to do so.

Jack

If you have a scanner, just scan them and put them up on your Flickr site. Then you can add them here just like photos.

Jack

You can take a picture of the dailies and then post them like you do your pictures on here. I'm very low tech so that's probably how I would do it. :)

This was in front of what turned out to be a private school. We walked in and were confronted by a security guard who graciously let us wander around the grounds.

33864925463_869defd70e_k.jpg

34512903262_ac8f237816_k.jpg

This was taken with a telephoto lens and was high up on a hill overlooking the city so we never made it up to see what it was.

34633959586_509468f623_k.jpg

Our daughter works for Subway and we take pictures of Subways when traveling. Great review:)

Glad you enjoyed the review. We used to take photos of MacDonald's, but they are so common now we stopped doing that years ago. We also have a friend that collects Coke cans, so we try and buy one for him in each of the countries we visit.

Jack

This was another school that was also used as an...

34512889102_f261fb6fff_k.jpg

Evacuation center.

33864914793_799076b27e_k.jpg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so rather than describe how hot and lazy the day was I share this photo.:D

34843756305_313db9f4b1_k.jpg

If you have a scanner, just scan them and put them up on your Flickr site. Then you can add them here just like photos.

Thanks. I have a wireless printer that has scanner capability. Jill is my techie and she is due back from California Friday so I will have her show me how to do that.

Thanks again,

Jack

Thanks. I have a wireless printer that has scanner capability. Jill is my techie and she is due back from California Friday so I will have her show me how to do that.

Thanks again,

Jack

No problem. And if you don't want to individually put each page in this thread, you can just put them into an Album on Flickr and post a link to that here in the thread. That's what I do with the "Dailies" that I scan. You can see how it looks in my signature below. I have links to most of the Dailies from our cruises.

BTW, I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your photos. This is a cruise I'll never get to take, and your photos are just like I'm there. Much appreciated.

No problem. And if you don't want to individually put each page in this thread, you can just put them into an Album on Flickr and post a link to that here in the thread. That's what I do with the "Dailies" that I scan. You can see how it looks in my signature below. I have links to most of the Dailies from our cruises.

BTW, I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your photos. This is a cruise I'll never get to take, and your photos are just like I'm there. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the tip...I will show this post to Jill when she gets back.

And don't say never. A few years back I didn't think I would ever be able to take a cruise like this. Fate works in mysterious ways.:D

Jack

Walking around Kaohsiung we came across the Love River and Love River Park. People we talked with in Kaohsiung said that the river plays a major role in the economy and tourism of the city and compared it to the River Thames in England with respect to its importance. The river had a very nice promenade and a lot of people were taking advantage of the good weather and strolling along the river.

34512864572_f9fe34b23c_k.jpg

This first photo sort of explains the next photo.

33832161894_a42f6987d1_k.jpg

This display was set up in the promenade along side the Love River and was part of their lantern festival.

This is one of the reasons we wished we had two days in Kaohsiung rather than in Taiwan. It would have been fantastic to see all these lit up at night.

33864888413_94b923a946_k.jpg

34885665705_0bc24738e3_k.jpg

The lanterns were all hand painted by students and teachers.

34468893900_79570dde48_k.jpg

As we were in Taiwan during the Chinese new year and 2017 apparently is the Year of the Rooster, so....

33864881373_8296ba41e2_k.jpg

We had chicks and hens and rooster lanterns placed throughout the park.

33832159934_d393a09219_k.jpg

Again, it would have been a delight to have seen these all lit up at night. But, alas, the ship departed before the sun set.

33864883553_b85e322b88_k.jpg

33832160904_2dce8fa278_k.jpg

Which children had a lot of fun with.

34894073455_9e8bfdc278_k.jpg

This was the Love River. We were not expecting a river quite this big at the end of Taiwan.

34674695055_9a62b855ec_k.jpg

The Love River was a tourist destination with a lot of tour boats going up and down the river. But there was also a little more romantic way to see the river. These were almost exactly like the gondolas we rode in Venice, but we elected not to try them on this trip.

34512877282_487d13fa2e_k.jpg

The east side of the river was crowded with sidewalk cafes and bistros.

34674698765_1461e4c131_k.jpg