Has anyone done a TransPacific crossing on the Milli? Your experiences please!

ProfessorEFFE

If your question were more specific you might get more responses. Last year we sailed from Singapore to Vancouver. It was wonderful. We had no rough seas, but that doesn't mean it is always smooth. We have also sailed Hong Kong to Vancouver and I don't remember any rough seas. Is your cruise going to take in Alaska ports? The roughest seas we have ever seen were just outside Sitka, also on Millennium (a 10 day return to Vancouver trip). Since you have already sailed on Millennium, you know what the ship is like. Enjoy your cruise. Japan is wonderful.

We did the TP on Milli. Was a great cruise, probably one of the smoothest (ocean) sailings I have ever been on. But the ship was in Noro watch (no self service of anything) for the first 5 or 6 days. Supposedly (I was told this onboard, not my opinion), the Japanese are not particularly clean and never wash their hands, so the ship stayed under Noro watch the entire time it was in Japan.

Thank you all for your responses. I must apologize for not being too specific on the initial question.

I am actually looking for what type of clothing do you take for a March/April Crossing? What activities did you enjoy, and what wouldn't you miss during the crossing? What to do in Dutch Harbor? Did you stay a few days in Vancouver after the cruise? Did you take any after cruise tours in Vancouver. How was Russia?

Thank you all for your responses. I must apologize for not being too specific on the initial question.

I am actually looking for what type of clothing do you take for a March/April Crossing? What activities did you enjoy, and what wouldn't you miss during the crossing? What to do in Dutch Harbor? Did you stay a few days in Vancouver after the cruise? Did you take any after cruise tours in Vancouver. How was Russia?

The weather was rainy and semi cool (maybe 60-ish degrees) while still in Japan. It was never really cold, but you definitely need pants and jackets. Russia was the coldest being in the mid 50s.

As far as activities onboard, there were plenty of things to do or not do, but they are very subjective.

I would be surprised if you get to go to Dutch Harbor, that port seems to cancel for frequently for the Celebrity transpacific routing.

In Vancouver, we took the cruise transport directly to the airport. It was quick, easy, painless, and we didn't have to touch our luggage until we checked them in with our airline.

How was Russia?..... Well... I wish Celebrity would be honest and call the stop what it really is, a stop for cheap fuel. It was extremely difficult to get off the ship, took more than two hours waiting in the freezing cold and wet wind. After finally getting off the ship, Petropavlovsk is a dump (sorry if that offends anyone). The city is dirty, the roads are hardly paved, and in general I never felt safe. If I went again, I would stay on the ship for that port and not bother with it.

How was Russia?..... Well... I wish Celebrity would be honest and call the stop what it really is, a stop for cheap fuel. It was extremely difficult to get off the ship, took more than two hours waiting in the freezing cold and wet wind. After finally getting off the ship, Petropavlovsk is a dump (sorry if that offends anyone). The city is dirty, the roads are hardly paved, and in general I never felt safe. If I went again, I would stay on the ship for that port and not bother with it.

I agree with all but the last sentence. Russia was exactly what we expected and I'm so glad we went.

The weather was rainy and semi cool (maybe 60-ish degrees) while still in Japan. It was never really cold, but you definitely need pants and jackets. Russia was the coldest being in the mid 50s.

As far as activities onboard, there were plenty of things to do or not do, but they are very subjective.

I respectfully disagree with the comments about Petropavlovsk. We just got off the Millennium today and spent last Sunday in Petropavlovsk. The city is not that interesting, but the area abounds with natural beauty.

We booked an all day tour with Kamchatintour http://www.kamchatintour.ru

I found them to be very responsive to all of my questions - in perfect Englsh. Our guide, Anna Konevskaya, was extremely organized and very knowledgeable about the local area and it's history. We couldn't have asked for anyone better. We visited a "snow dogs" center where they train long distance sled dog racers similar to Alaska's Iditarod. We also saw some indigenous people perform ethnic dances for us. It turned out to be a very memorable day.

Don't miss Petropavlovsk, but make sure to do your homework first! Oh yes, don't bother with the ship's shore excursions. They are outrageously expensive and lack the interpersonal contact that a tour with a local company like Kamchatintour offers.

Trans-Pacific cruises depart Tokyo in May and depart Vancouver in September. I took the east bound cruise three years ago (Tokyo to Vancouver) and we had some very cold weather for a few days mid-Pacific (33 F/ ~1 C). But past weather is not a good predictor for your cruise in 2019. But it seems reasonable to tell you that you may not want to use the outdoor pool, I have booked the cruise leaving Vancouver this September.8th

Dutch Harbor, Alaska appears on the west bound itinerary, not usually on the east bound cruise; the cruises that depart Tokyo visit Petropavlovsk, Russia. I agree with a previous poster that the city itself is not interesting, at all. If I were to return, I might look into the private tour mentioned by Orlando Vic. As a side note, US citizens (and probably others) do not need a visa to visit Petropavlovsk. The visa rules for St. Petersburg do not apply to Petropavlovsk. Nonetheless, Russian immigration officials .in Petropavlovsk seem to have a lot of time on their hands, and work expands to fill the time allotted to it. And ummmm, that buffet sure looks good :-)

Edited by SFCAcruiser
typo

Nonetheless, Russian immigration officials .in Petropavlovsk seem to have a lot of time on their hands, and work expands to fill the time allotted to it.

They were relatively efficient Sunday before last. Only about 1/2 hour behind preferred departure time, as given to the ship. Our Petropavlovsk guide was waiting for us holding a sign with our name on it.

Hi, all. Sorry we did not meet up OrlandoVic. Yeah, it was a very smooth crossing - BOTH MONDAYS! The whole cruise was really nice. YEas, go to Petropavlosvk. We took the Ships Excursion - Wimpy? No a bit of a necessity from a minor mobility issue. Did the Dacha tour - really fun. Amazing scenery, Kaiten Zushi in Hakodate was a blast. As you can see from our cruises, we've been fortunate. This was in the top 3. I hope this link helps...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/aGz8JuJzSbRL7egfaiD84XOBrUsjKsEuqGcxATn2oNh

We're doing a B2b from Tokyo to Tokyo to Vancouver in 2019 on the Milli. We've been on her before and are curious about the experiences of you while crossing the Pacific. Thank you so much in advance!

mdr food was good, aqua was mixed, buffet good to superior

aqua staterooms have a heat issue with the temp, maybe other rooms too. If there is a speed

button, only on higher settings is there heat...beware

ship switch to heat from cooling was slow and then overdone. froze then cooked

make sure you check the seas condition, they forgot to advise of very rough seas and many did

not take their sea sick pills.

the port service company in Vancouver was terrible, very confused and no crowd control

ships ride was generally Excellent.

most staff very pleasant and accommodating. we tip during the cruise, small extra but they appreciate. I used to be recognized as the $2 bill guy. They remember.

My family were entertainment moguls and gurus. But we had marvelous dancers as I was one

for a brief time and appreciate but I hear things have changed. And I am old..er. Forgive an

old man his memories of a long past friend....Fosse.

In my enormous cruise history...until recently I do not recall so many failures of guest relations to

rise to the need.

The solstice class ships I find are a major winner. Two reasons are the cabin layout better done

to expand the few extra inches into a feeling of spaciousness. And the buffet in the circle layout

speeds you with a cleaner service.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great Transpacific crossing from Tokyo - Vancouver this May, smooth sailing and great weather considering.

We actually enjoyed the stop in Petropavlovsk - many did not - we paid a premium price for the ships excursion to see

the Siberian Huskies - something truly worth doing, as there is not much else to see in the port - the snowy volcanoes

provided a beautiful backdrop.

The ship did not stop in Dutch Harbour, I gather it does this stop in the reverse direction.

We were also on this April/May Millie crossing. For clothing, make sure you have something warm, wind-resistant and, perhaps, hat, scarf and gloves if you want to spend time on deck. It was quite cool and windy although the seas were usually very calm. Like many others, I usually find the dining room and theater too cool no matter what the itinerary so a wrap or sweater is needed nightly. My son took a sport coat for the chic evenings but wore it almost every night for comfort. People dressed well but not gown and tux.

There were interesting speakers, extra matinee shows by the guest entertainers, dance lessons by the production dancers, trivia, golf putting competition, a galley tour and a backstage theater tour and the usual 'pay for' activities in the spa and at the bars. Because of the weather, there are no pool games, shuffle board tournaments, sports court competitions, etc. they did bring a ping pong table into the atrium so folks could play and they also had a wii or some kind of gaming system that was well used.

The solarium was popular and often a bit crowded. It was our favorite lunch spot although we did go to the dining room for lunch occasionally just to pass the time and chat with folks.

Overall, be prepared to relax and dress for 40-50 degree outdoor temps with wind.

• 1 year later...

Hi Vic, we are looking to book with kamchatintours.

when you booked with them did they ask you for all your passport details to make the booking.

Im a bit weary of sending all passport details, mainly passport number, over the net.

Ross

We booked an all day tour with Kamchatintour http://www.kamchatintour.ru

I found them to be very responsive to all of my questions - in perfect Englsh. Our guide, Anna Konevskaya, was extremely organized and very knowledgeable about the local area and it's history. We couldn't have asked for anyone better. We visited a "snow dogs" center where they train long distance sled dog racers similar to Alaska's Iditarod. We also saw some indigenous people perform ethnic dances for us. It turned out to be a very memorable day.

Don't miss Petropavlovsk, but make sure to do your homework first! Oh yes, don't bother with the ship's shore excursions. They are outrageously expensive and lack the interpersonal contact that a tour with a local company like Kamchatintour offers.

Oh yes, don't bother with the ship's shore excursions. They are outrageously expensive and lack the interpersonal contact that a tour with a local company like Kamchatintour offers.

It's been a number of years so things might have changed, but we loved the ships tour. We toured the city with a local guide. She focused on the church and the grocery store. Everyone we met was very friendly. The sellers in the grocery kept offering us samples and they seemed very happy with my husband's reactions.