How to make your own cruise luggage tags. :)

artist47

So, I remember my first cruise, before Noah's ark even! I remember how it was so fun shopping for all new clothes, and I was so young, my parents even bought me my own set of luggage with luggage tags to match.

Nowadays, cruising and travel in general has become so different. But the thing that stays the same is the excitement. So, I thought I would stop in over here, say to you: Welcome aboard to the cruise life! and then show you how you can make your own fun luggage tags. I just did a new set for myself, and thought you might like to know how to make them too.

You will need:

A computer

A colour printer

Avery business cards

Biz card Laminating slips (very cheap they come in packs of 25 at office supply stores. -trying not to advertise here).

After you print these, you can also take them to a Kinkos and they can laminate them for you (if in US or Canada).

Okay, so using your computer, open up MS Word and select the business card option for the cards you have purchased. (The template number is on the upper right hand side of the package)

You can either print on both sides, or you can double them up and print one side on one card, and the other side on the other card. You will also need to put the picture that goes on one side, facing "longways" on the card. This just means you will have to rotate the picture, 90degrees (or one quarter) from "right side up". It will have to go "sideways" onto the card, for it to look right.

If you decide to do double sided printing, you simply print the picture on one side. Then you will have to put your name and address, etc. in the correct field so that when you flip the page over and send it through the printer again, it will come out on the backside of the picture. (It will make sense once your hands and eyes are actually doing it. Just trust me. In any case, the package has 10 sheets...you have plenty of sheets to figure it out if you make a mistake...no big deal.)

To avoid all that logistical stuff, you can just print the picture on one card, and your name, address, etc. on another card, and just laminate them together, back to back. Easier, but a little bulkier to laminate. Might take a couple passes through the machine to get it to stick hard.

another important tip: let the ink dry completely before laminating. Otherwise it comes out a little "foggy".

After you have finished your printing, you simply break out the card, and slip inside the laminating slip and then send it through the laminator. When it's finished laminating, punch a hole at the top, and use a zip tie or whatever you like (coloured hair rubber bands work well too!) to attach it to your luggage. Voila --- you have fun, interesting and very unique luggage tags.

And you made them yourself, with the picture YOU wanted to put on it...

to get you started here are the pictures I used for my latest set, for my upcoming cruise on NCL Star...if you are sailing on the Star and you see this luggage tag, IT'S SO NOT YOUR BAG! MINE! LOL

have fun and if you need help, send me a private message or respond here...I'll help you out!

D557669B14F92DF9

FB58B1677ED94367

75E897C50D59D601

Edit -- wierd! My pictures won't show... :( CC is wanky. I posted the links to the pictures of my tags, to get you started, in teh post below. Have fun!

Edited by artist47

Your links are private an only accessible by owner it says.

We used to just stick, tape or staple on the tags from the cruise line.

A few months back I found some cruise luggage tags on E Bay that work great. Just take the tags given or print from the cruise line. Stuff them into the plastic. Attach to suitcase. Voila!

Your links are private an only accessible by owner it says.

A few months back I found some cruise luggage tags on E Bay that work great. Just take the tags given or print from the cruise line. Stuff them into the plastic. Attach to suitcase. Voila!

Thanks for letting me know -- I will unlock the links.

AS for the rest --- what a killjoy. You missed the point, which was having some fun with making your own.

I made plastic sleeves back in 2009 when we had to print out our docs. Made from photo album plastic -- I have lots of the large sheets left over from a project I was working on years ago. I just cut them to size, taped up the one side. Punched holes in them. Then when we are ready to leave the hotel and go to the ship, I attach the luggage tags with cable ties. I have used the same sleeves for 2 - 3 cruises a year and they are not worn out -- yet.

We are in the Krazy Kruiser camp. But many times we do not even bother with the plastic stuff because we forget. I always keep a roll of scotch tape in my carry-on bag and this handles the issue with little hassle. We print out the luggage tags and toss it in with our documents that we pack to go on a cruise. Once at the embarkation city, on the morning of the cruise, we simply folks the luggage tag paper, and secure it to the luggage with the scotch tape (wrap the tape around a few times). If it happens to be a rainy day we will tape over the entire tag. This all takes me about 1 minute and is just no big deal.

Of course the easiest way is to simply take a Celebrity cruise. You can still order free personalized luggage tags (for free) for their cruises. The are the typical airline type tag where you just peel off the protection and stick it together on the bag. Best of all, there is nothing to fill out since those tags have your name and cabin number printed on each tag.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I just put my last name and cell phone # of the phone I am carrying. No address. If someone knows your address, your house could become a target for thieves. If someone picks up your bag, you can say, call that #, and prove it is yours.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

lol yes i've been doing it that way also for years, and also last year i found the cruise luggage tags, not on ebay but on amazon and also cruisecritic sells them also.

Princess has a utility on their web site that after you have made final payment for the cruise and about 30 days from the cruise you can print out personalized luggage tags that include all the info they need to get your luggage to your stateroom. Yes it is paper and is folded over two times and stapled. It works and we have never had an issue with it. We also add it the morning of embarcation.

• 3 years later...

I just print out a photo or downloaded image to the size I want. Cut it out, print my contact info on the back, and cover it with contact paper like MacTac. Punch a hole, add a string, good to go. This year's picture is of our ship, the Carnival Sunshine. No need to use business cards, as the tag will be sturdy enough with the contact paper.