Currency advice New Caledonia, vanuatu and Fiji

gainy

We will be cruising to the following Islands next month, can any please offer advice on whether we will need local currency on any of the islands or whether we will get away with AUS Dollars?

Noumea

Mystery Island, Vanuatu

Vila, Vanuatu

Mare, New Caledonia

Isles of Pines, New caledonia

Lautoka, Fiji

Many Thanks

Aussie dollars are fine for all your ports in Vanuatu and New Caledonia. We only needed local shrapnel for a little museum in Noumea but we sorted that with change from a coffee stop

Don't know about Fiji - our Princess ship didn't get there. :mad:

But that's another matter ;)

JB :)

While most places in the tourist areas take Aus $ I try to take local currency so locals do not have to pay exchange rates. Buy before you go at bank or online, use an ATM at port to get a small amount, depending on your cruise line you may be able to get local currency on board,

Think of me trying to pay your local cab driver in England? with Aussie dollars, happy chappie maybe not.

Most places take credit cards but try and get some local currency, part of the experience.

While most places in the tourist areas take Aus $ I try to take local currency so locals do not have to pay exchange rates. Buy before you go at bank or online, use an ATM at port to get a small amount, depending on your cruise line you may be able to get local currency on board,

Think of me trying to pay your local cab driver in England? with Aussie dollars, happy chappie maybe not.

Most places take credit cards but try and get some local currency, part of the experience.

I'm pretty sure that any shopkeeper, restaurateur or taxi driver who takes foreign currency factors in a very healthy exchange rate for themselves when they they quote you a price! I can't imagine they'd take a loss just to be kind to tourists. So if I end up using AUS $ in New Caledonia, I will feel comfortable that it's me and not the shopkeeper who is taking the hit. :D