255% single supplements!

lizinindy

I have never cruised solo and I'm not up on the pricing. However, I am not surprised that there is a 200+% charge for solo cruisers (in a double cabin). The average person spends much more than their cruise fare. There are the typical add-ons, on board spending and gratuities etc. Therefore if the cruise line only charges double the fare, they are still losing on all the add-ons from the second passenger. The food savings pales in comparison. So I am not surprised at all if it were over 200%.

This week's exciting deals...out of Cape Liberty...255% single supplement! It's just getting worse! :mad:

Saw those! Celebrity is out of their mind and anyone who books at those outrageous upcharges is nuts!

Such a deal!!! :evilsmile:

They must be discouraging solo cruisers with that 255%!

Yep, I would suspect from the pricing that those cruises get very few 3 or 4 person bookings. As a result the cruise line does not want many singles.

I see at least 4. Perhaps you're using alternative facts. :)

Nope-- real facts. Although I do see what you're all looking at and now understand the post, I am seeing the same dates in my email this Thursday:

e9a3decb0231c85f1e042f07104b0265.jpg

So perhaps the 255 is not accurate because mine clearly shows 225 (not that I'd book either)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This week's exciting deals...out of Cape Liberty...255% single supplement! It's just getting worse! :mad:

The last page does say 255.........good I am not sailing on any of those cruises.

Why would anyone pay more than 200%? What happens if you are sailing with a friend in your cabin and they don't show up due to illness, delay...whatever. Things happen...this isn't all that uncommon.

Why would anyone pay more than 200%? What happens if you are sailing with a friend in your cabin and they don't show up due to illness, delay...whatever. Things happen...this isn't all that uncommon.

It has been suggested by posters here that a solo traveler book with a "ghost" companion who conveniently doesn't show on embarkation day. Again "beating the system",

However, I would suggest that if Celebrity allows for "x" number of solos and they receive that many solo booking, then the supplement is raised. The same way the prices adjust up and down based on inventory availability.

I'm struggling to understand why single traveller's should pay more than a 100% supplement let alone a 200-255% supplement.

They only have one lot of OBC, consume 1 persons food, drink 1 persons worth of "free" drinks using the drink package.

A £2000 fare with 255% added on = £7100 wow!

I'm struggling to understand why single traveller's should pay more than a 100% supplement let alone a 200-255% supplement.

They only have one lot of OBC, consume 1 persons food, drink 1 persons worth of "free" drinks using the drink package.

AND we pay for two drink packages, two sets of gratuities, etc. when it is included in Go Big, etc. As I said before, good luck with this, Celebrity. You're not the only cruiseline around.

While I think that it would be cool to take a solo cruise, I would never think of paying even 200% for the experience. I'd find someone to take the cruise with me that didn't feel they had to be joined at the hip with me for the cruise so that I could have my "me" time.

The last page does say 255.........good I am not sailing on any of those cruises.

I used to cruise Celebrity a lot but not in the last couple of years I did RCL out of Port Liberty last year and found the Anthem very solo unfriendly they did not like putting people on shared tables, I prefer

NCL for Bermuda leaving from Manhattan is much better and you are

much more likely to find people to dine with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning.........to clarify, when the cruiseline says 200%.......that is the amount for 2 people.......100 would be 1.....

I am not saying I agree with it but they want 2 people in the cabin so that is where the 200 comes into play. Now, the extra

55 on top of that? I have no idea why they are doing that.......:eek:

My last cruise on X was in February and I have one cruise booked for EDGE in 2019.......my upcoming cruises between

now and then are not on Celebrity.

Linda, you are right......lots of other lines out there.......

I see at least 4. Perhaps you're using alternative facts. :)

Lol! Or perhaps the OP is quoting "fake news".

Seriously, I am not a single cruiser, but feel for those who are. It is hard to defend that supplement. It seems like every week here there is a peport of something Celebrity is doing to aleinate their guests. They keep falling further and further down on our list of lines to consider when we book. Thwy used to be number one on it.

If the email one poster received says 225% for them, my guess is that the 255% on the brochure posted online that we all look at is a typo. But who knows, I figured the 225% was a typo too when it first appeared. I don't think that the "Exciting Deals" have been very exciting lately even without the over-200% solo rates, but count me as another solo traveler who won't pay over a 200% rate.

It will be interesting to see if they have occasional sales with a lower single supplement as they have in the past. Or whether 200% is now the floor for solo pricing. If the latter, my days on Celebrity may be done....sadly, just as I hit Elite Plus and am eligible for free lattes at Cafe al Bacio! Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe I caused this solo price hike because they know how many lattes I drink on a cruise!! ;)

Cruise lines have built their profitability model around charging a lower price for the cabin and making their money via onboard expenditures (photos, shore excursions, specialty dining, etc.)

Now Celebrity is an interesting case because so many of their fares include a drinks package (previously a good source of revenue), and some room categories include specialty dining options. For these reasons, you'd think solos might catch a bit of a break -- assuming it's true that a solo has to "pay" for two drinks packages if that's part of the deal. (Can someone confirm this is true?)

Instead, Celebrity seems to be aggressively NOT courting the solo traveler. Fine, that's their choice as long as they have plenty of cabins being booked by couples or families (even better, presumably). I wonder if that's the case....

While I think that it would be cool to take a solo cruise, I would never think of paying even 200% for the experience. I'd find someone to take the cruise with me that didn't feel they had to be joined at the hip with me for the cruise so that I could have my "me" time.

As a solo cruiser, there are few people in this world that I'd want to share a cabin with for even a week, and most of my cruises are longer (2+ weeks). Not to mention that finding someone else with the exact same interest in itineraries, financial resources, and availability on a specific date isn't a given either....

Frankly, I've gotten used to cruising solo and I really enjoy having a room to myself. On the flip side, I tend to cruise more with cruise lines that offer lower solo supplements or better deals for solos.

Now Celebrity is an interesting case because so many of their fares include a drinks package (previously a good source of revenue), and some room categories include specialty dining options. For these reasons, you'd think solos might catch a bit of a break -- assuming it's true that a solo has to "pay" for two drinks packages if that's part of the deal. (Can someone confirm this is true?)

If the drink package is a perk, and you pay 200%, then yes- you just paid for two packages, only receiving one. The perk that does well for solos is OBC, because you do get the same amount per cabin.

There was nothing listed at 255%

Last page when I pull up Celebrity Cruises Tuesday Specials.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

In pricing one of the cruises (Summit 6/27) directly on the website, it is still 200% when I pick a particular cabin, so I'm guessing that the Tuesday Special is 255%, for some odd reason, when you get a guaranteed cabin under the special it is 255% - looks like they don't feel solo travelers should get the same good deal as others. When the last specials came up, I did price one of those that showed 225%, but when I priced it picking a cabin, it was around 210%, which would still be unacceptable to me.

200% ok, over 200% no way! I'll be looking closer at the pricing of the cruises I book from now on and only book those that are 200%.

Edited by NLH Arizona