Sydney's Booming Bars?!!? Best vs. Melbourne?

From the New York Times Travel Section today, they have this headline: "The Hidden Bars of Sydney" with these highlights: "If you’re in a cocktail bar in Sydney, Australia, there’s a good chance you’re standing either in a basement or on a second floor, and that you had a hard time finding it, having wended uncertainly down a side street or sketchy stairwell to a door that may or may not have been marked."

Here are a few more details as to why this article might be worth checking out if Sydney is on your upcoming to-do list and/or has been a past favorite to see and enjoy. Added story highlights: "The hidden drinking den is something relatively new to Australia’s largest city. Until recently, Melbourne had Sydney beat on the cocktail front. But since a change in liquor licensing laws in 2008 that lessened the cost of opening a bar and led to a so-called small bar boom, Sydney has more than caught up. 'Sydney has completely blasted it out of the water,' said Jason Crawley, an English bartender, consultant and entrepreneur in Australia since 2000, referring to Melbourne. 'Sydney has about twice as many small bars now.' Once you find the bars, you can choose your drinking fantasy, most of which have taken elements of American bar history as their inspiration. ”

A number of bar potentials are mentioned and detailed. Sounds like a fun and interesting way to explore dynamic and exciting Sydney!!

For those in Australia, is this fairly accurate reporting and are these good tips to consider?

Among the locations listed and cited were: Baxter Inn, Shady Pines Saloon, Lobo Plantation, Palmer & Co. and Bulletin Place. What others need to be added?

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/travel/sydney-australia-bars.html?_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 122,417 views for this posting.

I'm from Melbourne, so I'm bias, but every time I've gone to Sydney, I haven't had to look too hard to find great pubs and atmospheres to have fun. Whether it's in the CBD or an outer suburb.

Melbourne is the food and coffee capital of Australia. Plus I think people are a bit friendlier within the nightlife of Melbourne.

Nor do I but after having dinner last week at a one hat CBD restaurant I suspect they are mostly frequented by the trendy young things, as that restaurant was.

Are you saying I'm not a trendy young thing, I resemble that remark.

Which Club?

Yep 3 clubs Bowlo, RSL, Workies and a Pub.

Big city, near on, that Wangee

It was the Workers Club. Knew about the RSL and would expect a bowlo.

Now that I think about it I've been past the pub many times but not really noticed it.

Yep, it's a big place Wangi, a bustling metropolis, yet undiscovered by the hipsters and trendies.

It was the Workers Club. Knew about the RSL and would expect a bowlo.

If it was the rissole I was going to say the pub is directly over the road.

And the Bowlo is pretty much opposite the Workies.

Now that I think about it I've been past the pub many times but not really noticed it.

For many many years it was the only two story building in town.

Yep, it's a big place Wangi, a bustling metropolis, yet undiscovered by the hipsters and trendies.

While I don't live there at the moment:(, we want to keep t that way.:p

Appreciate the great range of fun and super interesting posts on this thread. It just proves how spirited (pun intended) and focused on life are those from Australia. This includes for "Trendy young things"!! Great country and people. More reasons to go back, but we've got to go to Africa, first. Will be doing South Africa and Botswana for Jan.-Feb. 2016. Being south of the Equator during the Midwest winters of the USA is very smart. That's one of the many big pluses for visiting "down under" during this time of the year.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 123,417 views for this posting.