LGBT table mates

CrusingJoe

We ended up with an all-gay table on one cruise. None of us had requested it. I just think there was an attentive maître d' who looked at the manifest and guessed who the gay couples were.

This will be my first cruise as a 2-girl couple so we have no idea what we will get next week as tablemates.

Last cruise 2 years ago I hadn't discovered this yet and was with a group of girls who were friends (4 of us), and we requested to be seated with another group of girls travelling together, bc we thought it would be fun and we were seated with another group of girls (3) around our age (we were late 20s and they were early 30s). It was fun and we kept in contact.

This cruise, "girlfriend" means something different than it did 2 years ago (LOL) so we will see who they seat us with!

We primarily cruise on Princess and have Anytime dining when not traveling with family. We attend the GLBT meeting and if we hit it off with some folks, we'll arrange to go to dinner together. Works just fine. :)

• 3 months later...

My ex and I used the roll call on CC to chat with other couples pre-cruise, then I compiled our confirmation numbers, had RCCL cross reference us for traditional dining. We had a great table of 6 guys and 2 girls. However, our Jamaican waiter was not thrilled with us being in his section.

I've not tried it myself, but on a RCL cruise in the South China Seas the other gay couple on our table (of 6) said they'd asked the restaurant manager for a list passengers and their tables so they could try and sit with another gay couple.

It was a few years ago and RCL were trying to break into the Asia cruise market. Few westerners had chosen the cruise, so the cabins were heavily discounted and sold to the local Chinese in Hong Kong. The couple live in HK and got the cruise at a bargain price.

The passenger ratio was about 2/3rds Chinese, 1/3rd western but the crew had some common sense and sat nationals with a common language on the same table. The third couple (straight) was from South Africa

We are leaving on our second cruise shortly. On the first cruise we had no idea what the experience would be like so we went with the flow. We were fitted with a great straight couple and had a lot of fun with them at dinner. We are still in touch.

Since it was such a good experience on the first cruise, I am hoping that it will be as good this time. We will take our chances and see who is seated with us.

I have read on Roll Call that there is at least one other LGB couple onboard. Years ago, people used to indicate that they were gay by indicating that they were "Friends of Dorothy" kind of like "Friends of BillW". Maybe I could try setting that up if the younger ones know who Dorothy is.