Fun things to do in Costa Maya?

Hunter2

I have never been to Costa Maya, although I have been on 10 cruises. I am also stopping in Roatan and think I've decided to do the zip line there. so now I'm trying to figure out another excursion we can do. I am not interested in snorkling at all or any excursions involving smaller ships, cruises, etc. Is there a rainforest in Costa Maya, Caverns, etc. I could book thru the ship but would prefer to book somethign private that others have done and swear by. Any ideas will be appreciated.

I have never been to Costa Maya, although I have been on 10 cruises. I am also stopping in Roatan and think I've decided to do the zip line there. so now I'm trying to figure out another excursion we can do. I am not interested in snorkling at all or any excursions involving smaller ships, cruises, etc. Is there a rainforest in Costa Maya, Caverns, etc. I could book thru the ship but would prefer to book somethign private that others have done and swear by. Any ideas will be appreciated.

If you've never seen a Mayan ruin, then booking a tour to Chacchoben through Native Choice would be an excursion to do. http://www.thenativechoice.com/

Otherwise, jus tgrab a cab to the village of Mahahual and walk along the malecon and enjoy the shops, small restaurants and beach and get a massage.

If you've never seen a Mayan ruin, then booking a tour to Chacchoben through Native Choice would be an excursion to do. http://www.thenativechoice.com/

Otherwise, jus tgrab a cab to the village of Mahahual and walk along the malecon and enjoy the shops, small restaurants and beach and get a massage.

Thanks for the reply... I feel very in the dark with this island as well as Roatan. I've been to the Eastern Side several times and Cozumel several times but never Costa Maya or Roatan... Do feel that it's either that village area you talked about or the ruins for Costa Maya, not much else going on or to do? I'm not a shopper and we've seen the ruins before, although it's been 14 years.

Thanks for the reply... I feel very in the dark with this island as well as Roatan. I've been to the Eastern Side several times and Cozumel several times but never Costa Maya or Roatan... Do feel that it's either that village area you talked about or the ruins for Costa Maya, not much else going on or to do? I'm not a shopper and we've seen the ruins before, although it's been 14 years.

Read the website info for the ruins tour. You might find it an interesting excursion. You can't go wrong walking along the beach though. Remember Costa Maya is the port and it's on the mainland not an island.

We jsut returned from a 2-week cruise on the Epic. We had never been to Costa Maya and I did not know what to expect.

On the advice of a friend, we rented a golf cart at the pier facility and had it for the day. We had the best time of all the other ports.

The golf cart cost us $50 for the day (four passengers). This was negotiated down from a starting price of $60. You could probably get it for less however. This golf cart was a bit larger than a normal one and had knobby, all terrain tires. It was gas powered.

From the port, we took the streets over to Majahual which takes about 10 minutes. We chose to drive through the town and continue southward along the road that parellels the beach. It is a dirt road with a lot of potholes but after driving in Buffalo in the winter, we are used to it. The beach is beautiful along this stretch and it is very quiet. We passed several small stores and day resorts on the beach with a mangrove swamp on the other side of the road. at KM. 6.5 we came across the Maya Chan Beach Day Resort that had a sign out front welcoming Epic passengers. We stopped in and had drinks which entitled us to use their beach, beach chairs and free WiFi. After staying for a while and checking our e-mail, we got back on the cart and went back to the "downtown" area of Majahual.

The beach was very nice there and the ladies got a massage on the beach under the palm trees for only $10. This area of the beach has a lot of activities including bars, restaurants, water sports rentals, and snorkeling. There are many vendors and opportunities to spend your money. The prices are better here than at the pier.

Speaking of that, the pier has many stores and bars that are all new. The place was hit by a hurricane two years ago and has been completely rebuilt. It is very fresh looking and nice. There is a LARGE swimming pool with a swim-up bar that is free for cruise passengers. This area was very well attended when we returned from our day in the town. Everyone seemed to love this port.

-Jim In Buffalo

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Costa Maya last year and spent the day at the Maya Chan resort. It was a fabulous all inclusive day. They limit the number of guests daily, special bookings for groups if you can round up others from your ship roll call. Transportation is included to and from the resort and pier, drinks (good selection), lunch, sea kayaks, beach volleyball, floating chairs, very comfortable lounges/beds, free wifi at the bar. I've read posting with concern about sea grass, however we didn't find it an issue at all. There were plenty of sandy areas to walk through the water. They were fanatastic hosts. If you are interested in a beach day, I can highly recommend Maya Chan. You can see pictures on their website.

J

JimInBuffalo,

The golf cart sounds fantastic!

Were thinking of doing Maya Chan but I can't do any of the activities and we don't drink so the cost doesn't seem justified.

Any advice on where to get the golf cart or if we should pre-reserve???

We'll be on the Epic the week before this cruise and getting very excited!

• 4 weeks later...
We jsut returned from a 2-week cruise on the Epic. We had never been to Costa Maya and I did not know what to expect.

On the advice of a friend, we rented a golf cart at the pier facility and had it for the day. We had the best time of all the other ports.

The golf cart cost us $50 for the day (four passengers). This was negotiated down from a starting price of $60. You could probably get it for less however. This golf cart was a bit larger than a normal one and had knobby, all terrain tires. It was gas powered.

From the port, we took the streets over to Majahual which takes about 10 minutes. We chose to drive through the town and continue southward along the road that parellels the beach. It is a dirt road with a lot of potholes but after driving in Buffalo in the winter, we are used to it. The beach is beautiful along this stretch and it is very quiet. We passed several small stores and day resorts on the beach with a mangrove swamp on the other side of the road. at KM. 6.5 we came across the Maya Chan Beach Day Resort that had a sign out front welcoming Epic passengers. We stopped in and had drinks which entitled us to use their beach, beach chairs and free WiFi. After staying for a while and checking our e-mail, we got back on the cart and went back to the "downtown" area of Majahual.

The beach was very nice there and the ladies got a massage on the beach under the palm trees for only $10. This area of the beach has a lot of activities including bars, restaurants, water sports rentals, and snorkeling. There are many vendors and opportunities to spend your money. The prices are better here than at the pier.

Speaking of that, the pier has many stores and bars that are all new. The place was hit by a hurricane two years ago and has been completely rebuilt. It is very fresh looking and nice. There is a LARGE swimming pool with a swim-up bar that is free for cruise passengers. This area was very well attended when we returned from our day in the town. Everyone seemed to love this port.

-Jim In Buffalo

Do you need to pre reserve the golf carts? Or just get off the ship and barter? Thanks, Judy

Archived