will my DH be able to watch Football

db777

We are going on the Westerdam after Thanksgiving. Since they sail on Sunday my DH is a little sad he is going to miss pro football. Does anyone know if they get stations that have football via satellite????

We are going on the Westerdam after Thanksgiving. Since they sail on Sunday my DH is a little sad he is going to miss pro football. Does anyone know if they get stations that have football via satellite????

The info on this has been all over the map. To minimize disappointment, figure "No".

Have a great cruise

MarkB

It can vary. The 'all over the map' response is really the answer. Sometimes they will download from the satelite....sometimes not. I know they have had Baseball Playoffs and World Series as well as Superbowl etc. On the Vista ships, the sports bar usually does show loads of socceer but often they will show American sports. You simply cannot count on it.

Just tell him he's welcome to stay home and watch all the football he wants while you go have a vacation. Lot's of interesting guys to meet on Caribbean beaches! :rolleyes:

Just tell him he's welcome to stay home and watch all the football he wants while you go have a vacation. Lot's of interesting guys to meet on Caribbean beaches! :rolleyes:

On the other side of that coin, there are a lot of hot girls hanging around sports bars back home watching football games. :)

We have sailed a few times during football season, and during the regular season (not play-off games), the only NFL games we were able to watch were the Sunday night ESPN games. Hope this helps a bit!

Due to some rather bizarre American laws, it is illegal to re-broadcast television programs to the public. This is based on advertising contracts. The only way a ship can legally show sports programs is to purchase the rights from a satellite operator. That gets expensive.

The license to broadcast the Superbowl from satellite is about $30,000 per ship.

A regular game costs about $20,000 per game per ship.

Don't count on seeing too many American football games on your cruise.

Well, I am going to be cruising the Zuiderdam from Oct 15 thru the 22nd and I had better be able to see the Red Sox defend their AL championship and their World Championship or it will be a downer. I am counting on it. :D

FYI from Slinkies & Grumpy's World Cruise thread

HOT DAYUM! How about those Patriots!!! That had to be the best super bowl we never watched! The "tailgate on the wrong end of the ship" party went pretty good, but the best they could do for coverage was a connection via internet to NFL. COM. There was no audio feed, the engineers were even looking around to see if anyone was carrying audio on a bootleg site... nothing, anywhere. They projected the NFL.Com site onto the screen in the Queen's Lounge. The page showed all of the stats and a scoreboard, description of each play and a football field with the ball position, line of scrimmage and first down lines shown... UNFORTUNATELY... the image projected was so blurry that it was almost impossible to read anything... The senior ACD, Steve Gayda, took his microphone and went into Fekko's office where he could actually see the computer screen and did a play by play... As far as sportscasting goes... don't give up your day job, Steve... besides he was rooting for the Eagles, so we weren't always sure he was giving us the straight story on what was going on.

If it's not a special event (i.e., Super Bowl, World Series) and it's not on ESPN then you're probably not going to see it. Furthermore, as you head south ESPN switches over to the South America feed and even reports on USA sports become sparse and you can pretty well figure you're not going to see a game. We were on the Oosterdam in March 2004 and the Galaxy in March 2005 during the college basketball tournaments and in the end I had to catch up once we got back to port.

Vicocala, I dont think you will have to worry about watching the Sox in the Post season, they dont have the pitching. So relax, look forward to a great cruise, and spring training. Joe V.

Serenade of the Seas 1/7/2006

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

Princess 3 times

QE2 1 time

RCI 2 times Song of America and Monarch of the Seas

Carnival 1 time

Royal Majesty 1 time

We were on the Amsterdam in South America during the 2003 NFL play-offs and HAL carried ALL the play-off games but the feeds were for/from Spanish language networks as all the graphics were in Spanish but the audio was in English-we could here the familiar broadcast crews, eg., Theisman, McGuire, Gumble, Boomer, etc. DW was extremely happy to be able watch those games and they were all broadcast in the evening hours where we were.

Fcowher,

Since this isn't a sports site, I am not really going to get into this, but, nobody else seems to have much either, except maybe the other Sox.

All I can say is that the Sox should be there, it may please you to know, however, I did pick the birds as the wildcard team in the preseason. :cool:

Vicocala, a very classy response and we in Baltimore appreciate your prediction. I think that you will be disappointed with the lack of sports coverage on the Zuiderdam. The best way to get any type of sports fix is to go to the internet cafe. There are around 20 stations in there and I never had to wait to get on a computer. We sailed on NFL draft day and I must have been the 20th person to ask the bartender in the sportsbar if he could get US ESPN, we couldn't even get it in while we were in port in Ft. Lauderdale. The internet cafe can be pricey, but the bulk minute packages are fairly reasonable and its a great way to keep in touch. Have a great cruise. Joe V.

Serenade of the Seas 1/7/2006

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

Princess 3 times

QE2 1 time

RCI 2 times Song of America and Monarch of the Seas

Carnival 1 time

Royal Majesty 1 time

Archived