SCAM ALERT: Watch out for guy who will ask if you speak English

Waking life

He once told me the same story but that he needed $20.00.

I told him that all I had was a cashier's check for $100 and was looking for a bank to cash it. I offered to endorse it for him in return of the balance of $80.00 to which he agreed.........long story short, my check did not have any funds......that night I had a nice dinner thanks to this gentleman.

j/k :-p

"He once told me the same story but that he needed $20.00.

I told him that all I had was a cashier's check for $100 and was looking for a bank to cash it. I offered to endorse it for him in return of the balance of $80.00 to which he agreed.........long story short, my check did not have any funds......that night I had a nice dinner thanks to this gentleman."

murcelago

Scam the scammer........priceless

We stayed at the Marriott, Mir Mar,SJ, on 2/25/10. We crossed the street to get a Subway sandwich between 6 & 7 PM. On our way back, a man....well dressed in a white shirt & black dress pants, about 6' with (I think) a graying ponytail - well groomed- looked like he had just gotten out of a cab- said "Sir, do you speak English"? My husband replied Si. I was in shock and glared at my husband as he kept walking. I never spoke. The guy replied, "you are just an a$$". I just happened to come across this post and want you to know that the crow I'm eating tastes pretty good right now!!!! It's amazing how you can sharpen your travel skills at this website.

So I read this post a few days ago because I will be staying San Juan next month. Today at our lunch, a co-worker was telling us about a story on his son and Senor Frogs.

After he got done telling us this story, he went on to warn me that he had met a man from Milwaukee, WI on the way back to the ship and that this man's father had been beaten severly and that the San Juan police was likely involved. My co-worker spoke with this man for several minutes. The man was looking for money to get himself to the airport where a private jet was supposedly waiting for him. My co-worker gave him $10. The man even gave an email address so that he could properly thank my co-worker later. My co-worker said he questioned him because he too was originally from Wisconson. He said he never even considered that this was a scam.

I kinda chuckled and then printed off the original post from this thread. I think he met this scam artist. I am just glad that I am aware of the scam and won't be taken if I run across him!

Edited by CruiseLover824

It is funny....I keep reading all kinds of posts on this guy. I came across another one today that has a picture of him--sort of. It is only of his back, but it gives an idea of his height/build. The pics of him were on page 3 of someone's review--I think I posted the link so it will take you right to page 3.

Here is the link:

Edited by Host Kat
Corrected outdated link, however picture is no longer available.

Not going till Oct,but thanks for the warning.................call my cynical,but I never believe anyone who asks me for money these days,esp those who hang out on the corners at intersections.........I think they make more money then we do...........

I think this post should be a sticky at the top........

Edited by PH8

This guy hit us up twice on the same day. First time I told him I had no money, to check with the police. The secound time I answered him in a little bit of German I still remembered from my days there. He just turned and walked away.

Same sob story you get everywhere. We have seen a few of those all over the world. Most are druggies, homeless, you name it. DH just askes if I think they are a franchise:D

If somebody needs help, he needs to go to the police, embassy (not in this case of course), social services, and we will tell them so. Anybody who really needs help would ask locals, because they know their way around, no tourists.

BE CAREFUL of people like this! Two years ago we were in New Orleans -- it wasn't dark, and we were on Constitution (?) Avenue, which is crowded but is a safe, touristy street -- and a fellow like this ATTACKED my husband. He'd asked for money twice, and suddenly he ran ahead of us AGAIN and sucker-punched my husband in the face.

The long and short of it was that my husband ended up with a horrible black eye (swollen shut the next day), some cuts on his face, and blood all over his shirt . . . but the other guy was worse. My husband got in a couple good punches and then bulldozed him into a fire hydrant; he says the fellow must have "CITY OF NEW ORLEANS" tattooed backwards on his back.

We did learn that people give you a wiiiiiiide berth when you're walking down the street covered in blood. Our youngest daughter was really scared by the whole thing.

Thanks for the heads-up. Funny thing is that I get these bozos trying this in the parking lot of the grocery store I use here in the US. It's usually things like they need bus fare, gas money, a part for their car, etc...

• 4 months later...

Hi, I actually found this link on a visit San Juan website. I am glad I checked it out because we will be there in just a week and then the following week as well, before and after our cruise. We tend to ignore people like that unless we can see there truly is a situation that needs assitance. We tend to be compassionate people but so often these folks on the corners are really just making money off folks and not really in need. Will steer clear of someone who meets these descriptions and appreciate the tip off.

Also be on the lookout for people that want to sell you a time share for a great price. These come from the states in groups to take advantage of the tourists that visit us. The guy asking if you speak english,is a drug addict well known in the area. By the way there are many Costcos on the island, none in SJ. Closest one is in Carolina,about a 20 min. ride in car. You can many things in CVS in front of pier 1 carraizo99@yahoo.com

Also be on the lookout for people that want to sell you a time share for a great price. These come from the states in groups to take advantage of the tourists that visit us. The guy asking if you speak english,is a drug addict well known in the area. By the way there are many Costcos on the island, none in SJ. Closest one is in Carolina,about a 20 min. ride in car. You can many things in CVS in front of pier 1 carraizo99@yahoo.com

Thanks for the heads up!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe this guy is still scamming !!! This sounds like the same scammer (with about the same story from what I recall) that approach me & DH in Oct 2007 in Old San Juan. We will be there for our Serenade of the Seas cruise in Oct. How can he still be doing this?

• 1 month later...

My DH & I were in San Juan last week & got to meet the 'infamous John Ripka'!

He approached us close to the cruise terminal & asked if we spoke English. My DH said yes & he said "Thank God! My name is John Ripka &", I quickly said no & pulled my DH away.

Now I wish we had listened to his spiel but I was so surprised when he approached us & that he would be so ignorant as to continue to use his own name when it is posted all over the internet that I reacted to quickly.

We looked for him when we returned from our cruise but didn't see him.