Huatulico questions

Mrsosci

Well, there is a pretty nice beach within shouting distance of the cruise ship pier and there are some adjacent beachfront restaurants (we had a great lunch in one). There is also a nearby town for those that prefer to look at small Mexican towns and I guess the cruise line's have now come up with some kind of excursions to separate passengers from their money :).

This beach is also very popular with the crew since they can easily walk over there to sun, swim and do watersports during their short time off.

Hank

Thank you both for your answers. Beach it is. Even our cruise ship isnt offering much. Wonder why they stop there.

Mrsosci

It is just a matter of geography. This port sits along a major route for cruises that go through the Panama Canal. With Acapulco no longer being a viable port (for most cruise line's), Hutulco fills the need for a port that breaks up several sea days.

Hank

We have had two port stops in Huatulco, Mexico when taking full Panama transits on Princess ships. No sure if Princess still makes port stops there or not.

The beach was nice and there were lots of places for lunch overlooking the water. The beach was right there where we docked.

Most of the excursions offered were water related.

It was a pleasant place to have a port stop. :)

LuLu

We have stopped at Huatulco on NCL a few times and enjoyed the port. As mentioned, the beach is nice and within steps of the dock.

We have also taken a taxi tour of the town and surrounding beaches and lookout points.

We took a small panga type boat tour up and down the coast for a few miles and saw several very nice beaches, blowhole, and some very pretty scenery. The price was very low and the boat operator had snorkel gear if you wanted to do that. He would let the snorkelers off and return for them at a prearranged time. We booked that trip after we exited the dock.

Some restaurants line the beach near the dock and have chairs and tables on the sand.

I really like the place !!! I believe it is the prettiest port you will see on the West coast of Mexico.

Edited by swedish weave

I was worried that this port would be a big nothing. Good to hear that it is beautiful and there is something to see. Since we will be there when it is cold and snowy where we live the beach will be perfect.

Mrsosci

I've only found 1 post about this town on boards.

Can anyone offer advice about what to see? Tour companies?

Is Holland the only line that docks here?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mrsosci

We've been to Huatulco 3 times. We stayed REAL close to the Pier once. It's has a Teeny very tidy beach and Town Square w/ Curio Shops within walking distance. Small motor boats to visit coastal beaches was popular. Venturing further by Taxi to view Lighthouse and nearby beaches and larger Town will give you a better 'feel' of it's Desert Arid landscape. For a REAL off-road eyeopener we once Vanned to the remote jungle Magic Falls waterfall far into the Mountains for swimming and jungle snooping. Sturdy shoes and swimsuit required, but that was darn fine all-day experience booked with a Local Magic Falls Tour guy sitting near Town Square. Go to TripAdvisor for Magic Falls reviews. Locomotiveman Tom

I was looking at Google Maps and can't see where a ship would dock, so it must be tender service. Is Puerto Angel where they do the tendering? Just want to get my bearings. Thanks.

Ours just said "Hautulco" and we definitely did dock.

LuLu

I was looking at Google Maps and can't see where a ship would dock, so it must be tender service. Is Puerto Angel where they do the tendering? Just want to get my bearings. Thanks.

I haven't seen the maps, but they have a very nice dock and small boat harbor there. The dock will handle two large ships. The beach is right next to the dock and just a short walk from the ship. Quite a few shops very close also and some restaurants and bars along the beach with chairs and tables in the sand.

Edited by swedish weave

Norwegian docks there on their PC cruises. The last time we stopped there one of the people on our Roll Call organized a tour with Adelino Olea. If you google his name and Huatulco you'll be able to find his contact info here: http://www.tomzap.com/huatulco.html. I enjoyed his tour and thought I would take a tour with him again.

Edited by marelind

They do dock and it is not at Puerto Angel. The cruise ship port is located just East of the National Park. There is a pretty decent pier, and I have said in a previous post, there is a pretty nice beach just off the pier (to the left) which has an adjacent shopping area.

Hank

The town that is close by is called La Cruecita, and if you go there try the Oaxacan grasshoppers. In town where the plaza is, you will find a number of shops, restaurants and a quaint church.

As others have said, at Santa Cruz there is a marina with shops and restaurants near where the ships dock. To the right of the marina (as you are looking from the ship) there is a hill the that affords a great view of the marina and dock below.

I don't know what excursions that your cruise line offers; but there is an archaeological site in that area. It was discovered not long ago......Copalitlan City and it is over 2000 years old.

Hope this helps a little.

1789773431_SantaCruzMexicoap2013.jpg.4db11766df14e88fdb4cee8711163959.jpg

Based on a very positive review from another CCer, I've arranged for a cooking class when we port here disputing our upcoming PC cruise. We are going to learn to make Mole'. If you want more information, do a search for chiles and chocolate hulatco.

• 2 weeks later...

We stopped at Huatulico on our PC cruise and had a wonderful time. The people are proud of their clean water and sewer treatment plant so no pollution in the ocean. The people are friendly and the port area is nice. We would love to see it again.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...
Thank you all for the help. I'll be checking out the Adelino tour thing. This is why I love CC. So many great people willing to help others.

Mrsosci

we went snorkeling in January with Hurricane Divers I believe it was. Great trip. Huatulco is surrounded by about 35 pristine bays and on land most of the area is national park land protected from development. It was a very pleasant stop. We did the snorkel, explored by the pier and took a taxi to La Crucita. Definitely worth exploring.

We stopped at Huatulico on our PC cruise and had a wonderful time. The people are proud of their clean water and sewer treatment plant so no pollution in the ocean. The people are friendly and the port area is nice. We would love to see it again.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

They do have a public toilet building smacked in the middle of beachfront strip. Flies buzzing around. Can't miss since you can pick up the funky smell from 100 feet away.