Toddlers in ports

LilMissScareAll

We're going taking the Miracle in April and I'm trying to figure out what to do while were in port. the issue is that we will be traveling with a 20 month old. I don't want to bring his carseat along, but I will not put him in a taxi/car without one.

So we need our mode or transport to either be foot, bus, or boat. Our stops are Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerta Vallarta.

I'd like to do a beach day in either Mazatlan or PV, since I *think* the water will be warmer there. I'd also be okay with going to a resort with a kiddy pool somewhere since I know he can't go in the pools on the ship.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to here them. Either excursions, things to do, or transportation tips at any of these port.!

TIA

We're traveling to the same ports in April (different ship) with a 3-year old and have the same restriction.

For Mazatlan, Stone Island seems to be the most popular beach option and you can supposedly get to it independently without driving. There's a short walk and then a ferry. That's our plan.

In Cabo we're doing the ship's semi-sub excursion.

In Puerto Vallarta, there are a few resorts with day passes within easy walking distance. The Crown Paradise has all kinds of toddler-friendly features. I linked to a recent review in the day pass thread on this page.

If you do a search on the port names on the Family board, you'll find additional ideas.

Edited by cadien

• 1 month later...

We did the Exclusive Resort Getaway in Puerto Vallarta through Carnival when the kids were 5, 2, 2, and 6 months. It was the highlight of the trip for the kids. The beach was wonderful, lots of sand for sandcastles, and water warm enough to play in. The resort was very nice, and the pool area had a section that was shallow and good for the little ones to play in - although a bit deep for the toddlers. There was a bus that took us from the pier over to the resort. It was a bit of a long drive, maybe 45 minutes? But having the bus meant that we didn't have to haul along 4 car seats. It was also nice that for the excursion, under 3 years old were free. Not a single vendor to cope with on the beach, and there were plenty of shaded areas to sit in. I remember that there was an outdoor shower where we were able to rinse some of the sand off. I don't remember having a place to change the kids' pampers, but I doubt that I even looked for one. With three in diapers at the time, I had gotten extremely good at using the stroller as a discrete, emergency changing station! We brought strollers for the kids, and although it was nice that the little ones had a place to snooze while we waited for the bus, we could have done with just a single stroller for the baby.

We're headed back in August and the baby will be two. I think we'll do just fine without a stroller. Looking forward to the trip!

Hope that helps.

Jennifer

• 4 weeks later...

I travel a lot and while the stroller can be a pain I love having a stroller. It is a place to let them nap, put stuff and change them when no other place will do. It just depends on how much you use it at home. Your vacation use will probably be the l.same.

Puerto Vallarta has a bus so you can avoid the taxis and car seats by taking the bus. Research where you want to go for how to get the bus there.

Cabo if you are going to the beach also has water taxis, so a boat. In which case I would recommend leaving behind the stroller as you have to enter and exit via the water.

Mazatlan has taxis but then they also have golf cart style ones which are what most people use. If you don't like that option as the other poster mentioned, Stone Island is accessible by water taxi and walking.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I travel a lot and while the stroller can be a pain I love having a stroller. It is a place to let them nap, put stuff and change them when no other place will do. It just depends on how much you use it at home. Your vacation use will probably be the l.same.

Puerto Vallarta has a bus so you can avoid the taxis and car seats by taking the bus. Research where you want to go for how to get the bus there.

Cabo if you are going to the beach also has water taxis, so a boat. In which case I would recommend leaving behind the stroller as you have to enter and exit via the water.

Mazatlan has taxis but then they also have golf cart style ones which are what most people use. If you don't like that option as the other poster mentioned, Stone Island is accessible by water taxi and walking.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

The public bus in Puerto is a WILD RIDE.

I would feel a lot safer with kids in a taxi than on one of those buses.

gary

We're traveling to the same ports in April (different ship) with a 3-year old and have the same restriction.

For Mazatlan, Stone Island seems to be the most popular beach option and you can supposedly get to it independently without driving. There's a short walk and then a ferry. That's our plan.

There is no ferry, there are water taxis. Not quite the same thing. Think of a large outboard and that is more the idea.

Enjoy

Ron

The public bus in Puerto is a WILD RIDE.

I would feel a lot safer with kids in a taxi than on one of those buses.

We did this on our last cruise, and the bus was absolutely fine. My DD (then 3) actually fell asleep during our trip out to Mismaloya. I would have absolutely no qualms about taking the bus again, and in fact we're almost certain to do so for our upcoming cruise in October.

I guess it's all what you are used to. It seemed like a normal big city bus to me.

• 1 month later...