Puerto Vallarta

afkpar

PS for those on Facebook have a look at the site Puerto Vallarta everything you need or want to know.

Locals, many ex patriots from the USA and Canada, post there. The same on the tripadvisor Puerto Vallarta forum. You can read how they react(ed) on the May 1 uproar and how life is back to normal.

Also Carnival Miracle will keep coming as planned.

I beg to differ as something did happen in Mexico over the weekend with a higher body count than Waco. However, I didn't see it reported in any newspaper here.

Here is the link (sorry it is Spanish): http://www.informador.com.mx/mexico/2015/592537/6/asesinan-a-11-personas-este-fin-de-semana-en-acapulco.htm

The story's title - "11 People Assassinated this Weekend in Acapulco". One of the killings, of a taxi driver, occurred near the tourist zone. Another was beheaded and tortured.

Pretty sad state of affairs in the city that was once the jewel of the Mexican Riviera and frequent destination of cruise ships.

Another example, but like Waco, not in a cruise destination. Did read in any non-Mexican news about the 30 young people who disappeared in Chilapa after about 300 armed men took control over their town between May 9th and 14th?

Here is the story (sorry again, it is in Spanish): http://www.milenio.com/policia/desaparecidos_Chilapa_Guerrero-secuestran_Chilapa-violencia_Chilapa_Guerrero_0_520148257.html

I just cannot accept the statement that the level of security in Mexico is somehow comparable to the US - even in Baltimore and Waco.

Please realize, I didn't post these things to bash Mexico. I only post these things to help awareness in this community. I have family and friends there and only want the best for the country. I truly hope Mexico will one day rid itself of the violence and corruption and reach its true potential - which is enormous

:(

While equivalency is not always a good basis for comparison, that is what is happening here. If we are talking about cities like Puerto Vallarta or Cabo St Lucas you might try to cite statistics of the number of cruise ship passengers harmed (by violent crime) in those cities. We think you will look a very long time for any such report.

As to using Acapulco as an example, we have often posted here on CC that Acapulco is a dangerous city (which is now avoided by most cruises) although there is still a relatively safe tourist area. But since you want to cite Acapulco perhaps we should cite a place like Chicago where 49 people were shot last weekend. And this was one of their better weekends in that only one person was killed! Applying Chicago to other places in the USA is similar to what you are doing by using Acapulco as a comparison to places like PV. Acapulco happens to be 730 miles from Puerto Vallarta.

Hank

While equivalency is not always a good basis for comparison, that is what is happening here. If we are talking about cities like Puerto Vallarta or Cabo St Lucas you might try to cite statistics of the number of cruise ship passengers harmed (by violent crime) in those cities. We think you will look a very long time for any such report.

As to using Acapulco as an example, we have often posted here on CC that Acapulco is a dangerous city (which is now avoided by most cruises) although there is still a relatively safe tourist area. But since you want to cite Acapulco perhaps we should cite a place like Chicago where 49 people were shot last weekend. And this was one of their better weekends in that only one person was killed! Applying Chicago to other places in the USA is similar to what you are doing by using Acapulco as a comparison to places like PV. Acapulco happens to be 730 miles from Puerto Vallarta.

Hank

If you read my posts, you will see that I have never once suggested to people not to go to Mexico and enjoy themselves. Once again, if you visit on cruise ships, stay in the Fiesta Americana and generally keep to tourist mexico you'll be fine.

My post above that you quote was triggered by claims of "equivalency" in other posts above - Waco, Baltimore, Chicago, ... What I am pointing out is that really there is no equivalency in general between the US and Mexico when it comes to violence and the rule of law. Those that think that from a violence and rule of law perspective that the US and Mexico aren't different, really just don't know one or both countries well. If you don't believe me, ask anyone from Mexico (rich or poor it really doesn't matter) and if they are honest with you, they will tell you the same thing that I have.

The one lesson from Acapulco that is instructive for Puerto Vallarata is that the "narcotraficantes" can destroy a formal tourist jewel and bring down a whole area/economy. Hopefully, the general prosperity of Jalisco as opposed to Guerrero will keep that from happening. Plus, Pena Nieto would look really, really bad at the federal level if the situation gets out of hand.

If you read my posts, you will see that I have never once suggested to people not to go to Mexico and enjoy themselves. Once again, if you visit on cruise ships, stay in the Fiesta Americana and generally keep to tourist mexico you'll be fine.

My post above that you quote was triggered by claims of "equivalency" in other posts above - Waco, Baltimore, Chicago, ... What I am pointing out is that really there is no equivalency in general between the US and Mexico when it comes to violence and the rule of law. Those that think that from a violence and rule of law perspective that the US and Mexico aren't different, really just don't know one or both countries well. If you don't believe me, ask anyone from Mexico (rich or poor it really doesn't matter) and if they are honest with you, they will tell you the same thing that I have.

The one lesson from Acapulco that is instructive for Puerto Vallarata is that the "narcotraficantes" can destroy a formal tourist jewel and bring down a whole area/economy. Hopefully, the general prosperity of Jalisco as opposed to Guerrero will keep that from happening. Plus, Pena Nieto would look really, really bad at the federal level if the situation gets out of hand.

Fiesta Americana? You cannot be serious. Having lived in PV for the past 10 years (several months a year) the Fiesta Americana is not a place we would recommend for cruisers....but far be it for those of us who have spent more then a year of our lives in PV to give advise to expert cruisers. As to what you call "tourist Mexico" we would say that the entire Bay of Bandaras region stretching from Punta de Mita to at least Mismaloya (and actually a lot further south) is "tourist Mexico." You might consider that 10s of thousands of Americans and Canadians live in this region and many of them stay year round.

We do agree with you that the cartels are capable of destroying anyplace. But we do not have a crystal ball to predict the future of Jalisco and PV.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Fiesta Americana? You cannot be serious. Having lived in PV for the past 10 years (several months a year) the Fiesta Americana is not a place we would recommend for cruisers....but far be it for those of us who have spent more then a year of our lives in PV to give advise to expert cruisers. As to what you call "tourist Mexico" we would say that the entire Bay of Bandaras region stretching from Punta de Mita to at least Mismaloya (and actually a lot further south) is "tourist Mexico." You might consider that 10s of thousands of Americans and Canadians live in this region and many of them stay year round.

We do agree with you that the cartels are capable of destroying anyplace. But we do not have a crystal ball to predict the future of Jalisco and PV.

Hank

Guilty as charged :). You are right, my reference to the Fiesta Americana was kind of a joke. The chain is simply representative of a generic tourist experience that really is interchangeable regardless of location. I could have used another chain just as easily.

i think the definition of what is accessible in terms of "tourist Mexico" - or really anywhere - is really based on one's knowledge, language skills, experience and comfort in addition to the location itself. What is accessible to 10 year resident of the area is different than that of a first time tourist who speaks no Spanish. For example, I don't think that first timer would feel comfortable hopping on a local "camion" or "ruta taxi" to some rural beach/town location where you might be just fine with that.

Edited by SelectSys

Just a word about what you call "language skills." When we started spending our winters in Puerto Vallarta (a decade ago) DW and I were thinking that we needed to learn Spanish (we speak none) to enhance our experience. We quickly discovered that nearly everyone in PV speaks English (with various degrees of skill) and we have never learned Spanish. You must keep in mind that not only is PV a tourist vacation area, it is also a place with a huge expat (Americans and Canadians) population. To put it in perspective we have 1 nice new Costco, 2 Walmart Superstores, and a Sam's! That is why DW and I live in the Old Town (southside) area of PV since at least that feels like we are in Mexico :). Bottom line is that a cruiser can do quite well moving around the region on their own (using the bus system or taxis). As to Spanish, just knowing a few basic words such as Hola and Gracias will take you far :).

Hank

Hi guys! It's me the original poster. After reading the state dept warnings my husband and I opted to switch to different intinerary. I appreciate all the input. And I admire how some of you defend your views on what is happening in Mexico.

I myself am not so confident that thing will be hunkie dory. So now we are sailing a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean just before Christmas. Same size ship same size suite. And my son's fare is 1/3 of what it was. We will see that part of Mexico one day. Just at this time we feel its better err on the side of caution.

Hi guys! It's me the original poster. After reading the state dept warnings my husband and I opted to switch to different intinerary. I appreciate all the input. And I admire how some of you defend your views on what is happening in Mexico.

I myself am not so confident that thing will be hunkie dory. So now we are sailing a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean just before Christmas. Same size ship same size suite. And my son's fare is 1/3 of what it was. We will see that part of Mexico one day. Just at this time we feel its better err on the side of caution.

Hats off to you that you made a decision that is right for you and your husband despite the snarky remarks that people have put forward in the guise of being helpful.

Wow. I can only state that my Bride and I just returned last week from PV after a two week stay. No problems, no fears, and absolutely no concerns. IMHO, PV is safer than Salem Oregon, but then again, we do not prowl at night in search of "shaky" activities. No matter where you are in world, if you go looking for trouble, it will find you.

BTW, we are booked again for two weeks in December.

Use common sense. If you lack that, then you are probably better off staying at home.

My aunt and uncle just got back from a week in Puerto Vallarta and they told me that they never felt unsafe anywhere they went, but they never went down any back alleys and stayed in the main area of the city and the main tourists areas nearby.

Good for you! I always say go with your gut feeling.

We recently spent a week in PV (a wedding) and honestly, we almost didn't go. We did just fine, but we never left the hotel complex. I will say that when we arrived, it was a bit unnerving seeing pickup trucks (not sure if they were military or police) driving around with men (not sure if they were military or police) standing in the back of the truck, holding machine guns. My hubby felt more secure seeing that, but I did not. When we left, we did not see anything like that.

The people of Mexico are so nice, and it's too bad all this bad stuff is going on. We felt like we were never in danger at the hotel, but we also never left it. If I were on a cruise ship, I'd consider the excursions very carefully.

Enjoy your Christmas cruise!

I am going on the Ruby Princess for Halloween and very concerned about if there going to skip the PV port cause I really don't care to spend another day at sea or do other ports they might suggest. Aug I pay my final payment and hoping the line will let us know of any changes prior to this cause I was so looking to going to PV. Can anyone suggest a link to where someone could look for information from the lines telling us updates on there cruise for Princess. I plan on doing the atv love to sierra madras and wonder if this would be cancelled since Miracle cancelled some excursions

Edited by jemster

• 1 month later...

Jemster - I'm on that same Halloween cruise, and highly doubt that they will be cancelling the stop in Puerto Vallarta. There has been ZERO mention of PV in the world news in almost 2 months. Things are back to "normal". Additionally, there have been no news leaks for the cruise lines (in particular Princess) regarding an alternation to the current planned Mexican Riviera itinerary. Enjoy your time in PV!

• 2 weeks later...
Good for you! I always say go with your gut feeling.

We recently spent a week in PV (a wedding) and honestly, we almost didn't go. We did just fine, but we never left the hotel complex. I will say that when we arrived, it was a bit unnerving seeing pickup trucks (not sure if they were military or police) driving around with men (not sure if they were military or police) standing in the back of the truck, holding machine guns. My hubby felt more secure seeing that, but I did not. When we left, we did not see anything like that.

The people of Mexico are so nice, and it's too bad all this bad stuff is going on. We felt like we were never in danger at the hotel, but we also never left it. If I were on a cruise ship, I'd consider the excursions very carefully.

Enjoy your Christmas cruise!

This is a common sight in Puerto Vallarta. It's just the way they do things down there. :cool:

• 1 month later...
I'm on a cruise in September to this stop with Princess. Its a wait and see if its cancelled. At the moment its still in tact. I never been to this part of the world.

hi Sarah

how was the cruise and how was PV port?

we are hoping to cruise on Miracle next September

thanks

marilyn