Mexico

jamesnnb

From the Washington Post.

Gunmen shot down a Mexican military helicopter Friday in the western state of Jalisco, killing three soldiers, and set fire to buses, blocked roads, and attacked banks and gas stations in a sharp escalation of violence against the government. Puerto Vallarta is the second largest city in Jalisco.

We were there 14 April and we, too, love PV. We follow this fb PV news page and have to wonder what, if anything, is going on in Jalisco:

https://www.facebook.com/puertovallartadailynews?fref=nf

Also, here is an article dated yesterday:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/military-helicopter-shot-down-as-drug-violence-surges-in-western-mexico/2015/05/01/8529f5bc-f031-11e4-8050-839e9234b303_story.html

We've been going to PV since the 70's and have traveled via bus all over Mexico. In fact we are booked to cruise on down there in Oct 2015. We're keeping an eye/ear on what we can find out -- New Generation.

Interesting that only the Washington Post is reporting this. As it just happened I doubt if any changes in ports will be made immediately. It sounds like the violence escalated as a result of the government trying to take out the cartel and so they are fighting back.

We will wait and see what the outcome may be!

My DBF and I have a cruise in June down to PV with an overnight stay at a resort in the city. I'm not canceling the reservation just yet.

The PV Daily news said on Facebook that they aren't sure if the fake bomb threat or fire are connected to cartel activity.

We were on the April 4th sailing and got a letter in our cabin from the captain the night before pv that excursions going to a certain part of the area were canceled due to a gang ambushing and shooting police about 50 miles from the port.

Edited by lmarie83
Whoopsie on the sailing date

Our tour guide hadn't even heard about the shooting until we were already enroute to our excursion, I was very impressed that carnival was so quick to get the info, but also to make a decision and let passengers know what was going on.

Sounds like random stuff that happens in big cities of you ask me (at least in PV)

Umm...most big cities don't have several gas stations, vehicles, and a bank Molotov cocktailed in one day. There was much more coverage of the events in the Mexican media when this latest event occurred on May 1st, but many of the articles, photos, and videos have been pulled. Me thinks the government is trying to do damage control in order to protect the tourism trade.

Tony

From the Washington Post.

Gunmen shot down a Mexican military helicopter Friday in the western state of Jalisco, killing three soldiers, and set fire to buses, blocked roads, and attacked banks and gas stations in a sharp escalation of violence against the government. Puerto Vallarta is the second largest city in Jalisco.

You know cruise ship pier at PV is right next to a large Mex naval base right? It would be a suicide mission for drug cartel to try anything there.

Notice that the report says all of this is happening in the state of Jalisco, not directly in Puerto Vallarta.

I know it's a risk going to Mexico right now, but as long as I stick to tourist areas, not flaunt wealth, and pay attention to the consulate warnings, I think I'll be fine.

Edited by 20somethingguy

We travel to PVR several times a year (2 weeks coming in June) and have several close friends who live there. There were acts of violence in Puerto Vallarta which consisted of molotov cocktails being thrown at gas stations and banks. No direct violence against individuals were reported by my friends. One day later, the city was back to normal business. My friends there are not concerned about any continuing threat and I am not concerned about my upcoming trip.

We travel to PVR several times a year (2 weeks coming in June) and have several close friends who live there. There were acts of violence in Puerto Vallarta which consisted of molotov cocktails being thrown at gas stations and banks. No direct violence against individuals were reported by my friends. One day later, the city was back to normal business. My friends there are not concerned about any continuing threat and I am not concerned about my upcoming trip.

I read a report on the Puerto Vallarta News by Vallarta Daily web site and they reported that the one gas station that was set on fire were warned ahead of time so nobody would be injured. A lot of the other reports were not factual about banks and other gas stations on fire. It seems there were a few men in a pick up truck with Molotov cocktails.

We spend 3 months every winter in PV and always feel very safe there. Hopefully these gang wars won't escalate and cause problems for Puerto Vallarta. There are more gang war problems reported for Guadalahara.

The incident in question happened near Guadalajara. Roads were closed and a helicoptor was shot down. I beleive seven people were killed.

It was quite some distance from Puerto Vallarta.

The information was in the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

A google search shows this was reported in several US newspapers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/world/americas/mexican-helicopter-shot-down-killing-3-soldiers.html?_r=0

Edited by swedish weave

I read a report on the Puerto Vallarta News by Vallarta Daily web site and they reported that the one gas station that was set on fire were warned ahead of time so nobody would be injured. A lot of the other reports were not factual about banks and other gas stations on fire. It seems there were a few men in a pick up truck with Molotov cocktails.

We spend 3 months every winter in PV and always feel very safe there. Hopefully these gang wars won't escalate and cause problems for Puerto Vallarta. There are more gang war problems reported for Guadalahara.

Indeed there were no personal injuries as staff at the gasstation was informed before and got out. Also reports (or better rumors) were reporting far more damage that there was. I have seen photos that same day of places that according rumores were damaged, but not so as this was no more then a false rumor.

Banks were closed that day, no staff or customers present as May 1 is a holiday. Yes due to Molovotv cocktails 2 or 3 banks were put on fire, but it seems the bomberos got it under control rather quick.

Even people living in Vallarta having a beachday on Playa los Muertos didnot notice anything about what had been going on., but heard about it when getting home.

Even that same May 1 in the afternoon and evening things were back to normal.

Main thing is no casualties or injuries at either tourists or locals. It lasted only during the morning of May 1.

Like Mexico 8 we are in Vallarta in winter , just like we did the last few years. We just returned after a stay of about 5 months, we drive around there in our car, shops, dine etc. and never had any problem. I am sure we will be back next winter.

Puerto Vallarta is still a very safe place.

Edited by Ine

I live in San Diego, and we have heard nothing. IMO, PV is safer than Tijuana. :)

The cruise lines would not go there if it wasn't safe. Too many potential lawsuits. Indeed, some lines are sailing back to Acapulco.

Patti

"Canadians in two major Mexican cities were warned to stay at home amid a spike in drug-cartel violence in the state of Jalisco on Friday.

A Facebook message from the Canadian Embassy in Mexico advised people in the Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara areas to "avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings" and to "limit their movements throughout the cities."

It came as the Mexican drug cartel Jalisco New Generation launched attacks that led to seven deaths and downed a military helicopter, The Associated Press reported."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/05/04/canadians-mexico-gangs-puerto-vallarta-guadalajara_n_7206800.html?ncid=canada-webmail1

Rather than rely on second hand reporting of a "Facebook" posting, just go to the source . . . http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

Bottom line, Vallarta had one gas station set afire by an individual that called in an advance warning to ensure nobody was hurt. "Experts" indicate that the cartel does not operate in this manner and they are not sure that the incident in Vallarta is connected with organized cartel activity elsewhere in Jalisco State.

We continue to be annual extended stay Vallarta regulars.

Rather than rely on second hand reporting of a "Facebook" posting, just go to the source . . . http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

Bottom line, Vallarta had one gas station set afire by an individual that called in an advance warning to ensure nobody was hurt. "Experts" indicate that the cartel does not operate in this manner and they are not sure that the incident in Vallarta is connected with organized cartel activity elsewhere in Jalisco State.

We continue to be annual extended stay Vallarta regulars.

I agree that we should never rely on third party posts on Facebook. However, the FB post in question came DIRECTLY from the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City. It is not something we should downplay. Here is what the Embassy said:

Embassy of Canada in Mexico

May 1 at 11:29am ·

Important message for Canadians in Jalisco:

Please note that narco-blockades have been affecting areas in and around Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara. Local authorities have advised to remain at home. Please monitor local media and the following twitter account to receive the most up-to-date info available at this time: https://twitter.com/alertaciudadan.

Canadians are advised to limit their movements throughout the cities and follow the advice of local authorities.

Canadians should remain vigilant at all times; avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings. We recommend, if possible, that Canadians get in touch with their emergency contacts in Canada to confirm their whereabouts and wellbeing, even if they have not been affected by this event.

To stay connected to the latest travel advice and advisories, you can find our emergency contact information at Travel.gc.ca - Travel Advice for Canadians

For emergency consular assistance, please contact:

Embassy of Canada in Mexico Tel: (55) 5724-7900 ext. 379-3322

Consulate of Canada in Guadalajara (33) 3671-4740 ext. 374-3340

Consular Agency of Canada in Puerto Vallarta Tel: (322) 293-0098 & 293-0099

After hours: 01-800-706-2900 (toll free) or 00-1-800-514-0129, +1-613-996-8885 (collect where available)

And what does it say about the quality of "news" reporting when you publish a report based solely on a three day old Facebook posting!?!

By the time the Huffington Post article was posted, it was hopelessly out of date.