Rise of Drug Cartel Brings PV Area

dmk

I just read

"Canada’s embassy In Mexico has issued a warning to tourists following a wave of recent attacks by a drug cartel in the western state of Jalisco."

Does this concern you about Peurto vallarta. I am on the fence and am wondering what others are thinking.

You are about five days late to the discussion.

I would be concerned if I planned on going into the hill country north and east of Vallarta on my own. Jalisco State is just a little smaller then South Carolina and almost all of it, especially the Government/Cartel fighting, is well north of Vallarta in the hill country.

A Mexican Naval base is located next to the port and that provides a significant military presence to cover/secure the tourist assets.

It has been past practice for the Canadian & US Governments to specifically list tourist cities such as Mazatlan, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, etc. when the potential for violence against tourists was an issue.

As always . . . your personal comfort level with a perceived threat is what matters most. Having said that, the 10's of thousands of Canadian & American who live in/visit Vallarta every day say this a non-event. It will not impact our annual November stay in Vallarta.

Enjoy!

Nope. We live near the Mexican border---about 30 minute quick freeway ride.

Nothing I have heard would stop me. Some lines are even going back to Acapulco.

If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't go there. :)

Patti

Nope. We live near the Mexican border---about 30 minute quick freeway ride.

Nothing I have heard would stop me. Some lines are even going back to Acapulco.

If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't go there. :)

Patti

Well, perhaps you have gone a bit too far :). There are very few cruises going to Acapulco in the next year...and for good cause. That being said, we live in PV for 2 months a year, absolutely love the place, and are looking forward to our return for the next winter season. I am not going to go into all the politics involved in the recent cartel "muscle flexing" other then to say that it has caused neither DW or myself any concern about our future return to PV. But trying to convince others of the charm and safety of PV is just not worth the hassle so we return to paradise year after year and feel a little sorry for those who stay away. Suffice it to say that we have traveled extensively all over the world (about 100 countries) and feel safer in PV then even home. Come to think of it PV is home when we are in residence :)

Hank

The problems were on May 1 for a short time only during the morning. Banks were closed that day (May 1 Labour day), gasstation attendents were warned before, so no injuries there.

Many people staying at the beach didnot even know or heard about it until they got back to their hotel or back home.

Carnival Miracle has been back already with over 2000 persons. It is business as usual, no problems at all in Vallarta.

Well, perhaps you have gone a bit too far :). There are very few cruises going to Acapulco in the next year...and for good cause. That being said, we live in PV for 2 months a year, absolutely love the place, and are looking forward to our return for the next winter season. I am not going to go into all the politics involved in the recent cartel "muscle flexing" other then to say that it has caused neither DW or myself any concern about our future return to PV. But trying to convince others of the charm and safety of PV is just not worth the hassle so we return to paradise year after year and feel a little sorry for those who stay away. Suffice it to say that we have traveled extensively all over the world (about 100 countries) and feel safer in PV then even home. Come to think of it PV is home when we are in residence :)

Hank

We usually spend a month in PV? We too love it. It truly is a paradise. But I can't say that I'm not concerned after reading chipmaster's post.. Wow! The Jewel skipped there stop in PV!

We usually spend a month in PV? We too love it. It truly is a paradise. But I can't say that I'm not concerned after reading chipmaster's post.. Wow! The Jewel skipped there stop in PV!

Isn't it interesting that RCI will quickly cancel a port like PV (where no cruisers have come to harm) but continue to base a ship in Baltimore! We live a short drive to Baltimore and used to make routine day trips to the Inner Harbor...but that stopped a few years ago when even the Inner Harbor began to slide downhill. And yet, we still look forward (with no hesitation) to returning to PV where we feel safe and have no problem walking the streets (both the old town and Centro areas) anytime day or night. One cannot say that about any neighborhood in Baltimore.

And then we could talk about the cruise lines behavior when it comes to St Thomas. When the US Navy cancelled all port calls (for liberty) on St Thomas due to safety/crime concerns.....the cruise ships kept coming. When a 14 year old female cruiser was shot and killed at Coki Beach (2011) (she got caught in the crossfire between two druggies) the cruise ships not only kept coming, but they all continued their tours to Coki Beach! Kind of makes you wonder about the decision makers and their motives.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

In my mind most people are either overly optimistic or pessimistic regarding the violence/problems in Mexico. This usually comes because most people don't really know what is going on.

The violence in Mexico is real. If you don't believe me look carefully at the mural, "A History of Mexico" by Diego Rivera in the Palacio Nacional de Mexico. Violence pervades the history of Mexico.

https://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/mexico/mexicocity/rivera/history.html

This does not mean, however, that you should avoid Mexico. Mexico offers many wonderful things to see and places to visit. With awareness, it offers great experiences, scenery, food, people, culture, etc. You just don't want to do dumb things. Fortunately, the cruise ships and their excursions keep people within the ropes so almost every negative in Mexico is avoided. However, to me it's somewhat unfortunate that most only visit "Mexico Turistico" and never really visit "Mexico Real".

BTW - The nature of violence in Mexico cannot really be compared to that in the US in my mind. In Mexico, the violence touches almost everyone (Mexicans not tourists) in some way or another. This just isn't comparable to the US.

Edited by SelectSys

Isn't it interesting that RCI will quickly cancel a port like PV (where no cruisers have come to harm) but continue to base a ship in Baltimore! We live a short drive to Baltimore and used to make routine day trips to the Inner Harbor...but that stopped a few years ago when even the Inner Harbor began to slide downhill. And yet, we still look forward (with no hesitation) to returning to PV where we feel safe and have no problem walking the streets (both the old town and Centro areas) anytime day or night. One cannot say that about any neighborhood in Baltimore.

And then we could talk about the cruise lines behavior when it comes to St Thomas. When the US Navy cancelled all port calls (for liberty) on St Thomas due to safety/crime concerns.....the cruise ships kept coming. When a 14 year old female cruiser was shot and killed at Coki Beach (2011) (she got caught in the crossfire between two druggies) the cruise ships not only kept coming, but they all continued their tours to Coki Beach! Kind of makes you wonder about the decision makers and their motives.

Hank

Hank I could not agree with you more. I feel safer during the three months we spend every winter (for the past twenty years) in PV than I do walking around downtown Ottawa at night. People are regularly shot or stabbed in downtown Ottawa at night and I would not walk around there. I feel very safe in PV at anytime and get bothered less by panhandlers asking me for money or cigarettes!

Makes you wonder about the two cruise lines cancelling their stops in PV because of one day of violence and no tourists were hurt.

And yet, we still look forward (with no hesitation) to returning to PV where we feel safe and have no problem walking the streets (both the old town and Centro areas) anytime day or night. One cannot say that about any neighborhood in Baltimore.

And then we could talk about the cruise lines behavior when it comes to St Thomas. When the US Navy cancelled all port calls (for liberty) on St Thomas due to safety/crime concerns.....the cruise ships kept coming. When a 14 year old female cruiser was shot and killed at Coki Beach (2011) (she got caught in the crossfire between two druggies) the cruise ships not only kept coming, but they all continued their tours to Coki Beach!

Hank

When did "feeling safe" become synonymous with actually being safe; the idea that someone feels safe is immaterial.

And once again, the tragic death of some poor teenager years ago in St Thomas is resurrected to illustrate that the danger levels in the Caribbean are just as high as Mexico. Sorry, but that is an absurd, uninformed opinion.

There are warring criminal factions in Mexico capable of extraordinary and inconceivable violence who are not concerned one iota about any level of collateral damage. Combine that with an inept and corrupt judicial system and you are dealing with a much more volatile, dangerous situation.

While I truly believe that the chances of being a target of violence are still relatively low in most Mexican resort cities, there is no comparison between what goes on there and any place in the Caribbean.

When did "feeling safe" become synonymous with actually being safe; the idea that someone feels safe is immaterial.

And once again, the tragic death of some poor teenager years ago in St Thomas is resurrected to illustrate that the danger levels in the Caribbean are just as high as Mexico. Sorry, but that is an absurd, uninformed opinion.

There are warring criminal factions in Mexico capable of extraordinary and inconceivable violence who are not concerned one iota about any level of collateral damage. Combine that with an inept and corrupt judicial system and you are dealing with a much more volatile, dangerous situation.

While I truly believe that the chances of being a target of violence are still relatively low in most Mexican resort cities, there is no comparison between what goes on there and any place in the Caribbean.

We absolutely agree. PV is much safer :) In fact, try finding any case of a violent crime committed against a cruiser in PV. The problem with the news media is that they like to focus on the dramatic without backing it up with any facts. As much as DW and I love PV, we would not consider living there for part of the year if we felt there was any risk to our personal safety. At this point in our lives, having visited an awful lot of places on 6 continents, we could winter anywhere in the world! And yet, both DW and I have chosen PV as our winter home (just like our friend Mexico8). Perhaps the situation will change in the future, but as of this time we see no reason to alter our winter home.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

05-06-2015, 08:16 PM

A Vernon man who just returned to the Okanagan after three years in Puerto Vallarta says Mexican authorities are not telling the whole truth about violent drug cartel clashes in Mexico.

The source worked in the tourism industry in the popular Mexican sunspot, and wished to remain anonymous for his own safety and that of his friends back in Mexico.

Canada's embassy In Mexico issued a warning to tourists this week, following the wave of recent attacks in the state of Jalisco.

At least 15 people were killed and 19 injured in a series of attacks in Jalisco last Friday, during which 11 banks and five gas stations were burned.

"It's just not safe right now," said the source. "The tour people are not telling people that. Even the president of Mexico is not saying that."

He claims the spike in violence and clashes with state police are all over bribe money. The three major cartels – the Zetas, Knights Templar and New Generation – pay the local police to look the other way.

"They are taking money from both sides, competing cartels. The government and tourist industry doesn't want that getting out, so it doesn't get reported. But the real problem is nervous, poorly trained police with automatic weapons, itchy trigger fingers and their safety off. They are just waiting to get into it."

The source said he just felt like it was time to get out. And he says he's not alone; many ex-pats are returning to the U.S. and Canada.

"They're not after tourists, and the cartels don't come into the tourist zone. You won't see any activity there. They want people going in there and having a good time because that's where they get their protection money from the clubs and restaurants.

"But, outside the city, you don't drive there after dark. The cartels have roadblocks, and they're checking for couriers from the rival groups. If you're a tourist, you're OK. But I've been through a couple, and it scared the hell out of me. They are all heavily armed and masked."

Anyone who depends on the tourism industry there is hurting, he says. Even though the chances of being hurt are slim, people are simply staying away.

"Tourists might not notice anything other than an increased police presence at the airport and that there's just not that many people there right now.

"People aren't coming ashore off the cruise ships. The tourist industry has put a big push on positive news, but it's just not a good time to be there."

Still, he feels the violence will peak and things will get back to normal.

"That's just the way it is," he says.

The Canadian embassy's Facebook page refers to "narco-blockades" affecting areas in and around Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara. The message says "Canadians are advised to limit their movements throughout the cities and follow the advice of local authorities" and to "remain vigilant" and avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/139219/Violence-just-the-beginning:(

The nature of violence in Mexico cannot really be compared to that in the US in my mind. In Mexico, the violence touches almost everyone (Mexicans not tourists) in some way or another. This just isn't comparable to the US.

How true ... The type of crime /violence is so very different.

LuLu

I've been going to Mexico since 1961 and you never drive after dark. That's nothing new.

The same here. I drive everywhere during the day, never at night. Remember the many topes (bumps), people and animals along the road.

Felt very safe in Cabo San Lucas.

Very obvious soliciting of young girls by an older woman on beach in Hualtaco, otherwise felt like there were no problems.

Acapulco: why did the ship stop there? There was a very large military/police presence the day the ship docked to "protect the passengers". Many were warned by locals when they walked into unsafe areas. We were not impressed. The people who went to see the Cliff Divers on ship tours were happy with that part but a few tours were shorted on time (3 instead of 5 hours) or had a luncheon after the cliff divers that was really poor. I didn't feel safe and the hustlers were very aggressive.

Like Hank we are in Puerto Vallarta during winter, often 4 -5 months. We never had any problems and we know Vallarta will be safe as ever.

I always drive around, shop local, eat in many restaurants with locals and always enjoy this. It was a one time incident (against the government) without any injuries etc. It is just too bad for the name of Vallarta.

I am sure we will be back this coming winter.

Maybe this article will interest you: http://www.vallartadaily.com/puerto-vallarta-safety-remains-unchanged/

Edited by Ine

Carnival indeed is coming as usual. Good decision. It is up to them to offer excursions in our out side Vallarta.

All is normal in Puerto Vallarta, quiet and safe as it always used to be.

This press article is most likely written by somebody that certainly wasnot there that day or maybe even has never been there.

I quote usa today::

Gunman in recent days have set fire to cars, buses, banks and gasoline stations in and around Puerto Vallarta and the surrounding Jalisco state, and they traded gunfire with soldiers and police. Unquote.

In Puerto Vallarta it was ONLY on May 1 during the morninghours. Yes 2 gassstation were set afire, as were 2 or 3 banks. All of them outside the area where tourists come. No injuries or casualties with locals or tourists, banks were closed due labourday, gasstations attendends were warned to stay away. Many tourists dinot even noticed what happened but heard about it later.

Nothing happened after that and most likely it will not happen again. Police have arrested some youngsters that propably started the fires.

I sometimes read about gangwars, highschool shootings etc. in other countries, where unfortunately often innocent people are killed or injured. Only on certain serious incidents it makes the press or TV.

But never I have seen a negative advice to travel to those places.

As far as I know Canada has no warning anymore about Vallarta.