Loreto

oskidunker

We took a wonderful ships tour to San Javier Mission. Great views of the desert and the town is very quaint. The mission was built in the 1700's. We saw the farming that is still going on,including orange trees,green onions and corn. Also a 300 year old olive tree.

Lunch was at the only place in town and was very good. One of my favorite tours of the cruise on Star Princess

Great port. Twice now we've gone into the old town and found music in the plaza by the city hall. Four men with guitars and singing, and dancing by young people. The dancing was around 11:00, and the guitars before and after. There are chairs available there. For those of us who no longer walk well, there are taxis for $5 each way.

• 2 months later...

Lunch was at the only place in town and was very good. One of my favorite tours of the cruise on Star Princess

I am really looking forward to this port. Is there really only one restaurant? We arrive early and we were hoping to have breakfast in town before our excursion. Are we better off eating on the ship?

I am really looking forward to this port. Is there really only one restaurant? We arrive early and we were hoping to have breakfast in town before our excursion. Are we better off eating on the ship?

The OP is referring to the restaurant on the tour. There are plenty of places to eat in Loreto.

We had a very good meal at El Rey del Taco on Benito Juarez

and then La Michoacana Ice Cream on Fco. I Madero.

La Michoacana is a Mexican ice cream chain. We like the pineapple and lime paletas (Popsicles) and helados (ice cream). The guanabana and key lime pie helados are very good. This store also has liquados. The Horchata (rice pudding flavored drink) is excellent.

If you want to spend some $$ check out Fonda Capinole, behind the church's bell. Cooked over an open fire. Some of the best mole and frijoles I've tasted.

We've tried Orlando's. Very decent gringo Mexican food.

Check both out on Trip Advisor.

• 2 weeks later...

We spend the day at the Loreto Bay Golf Resort in Loreto - took a cab out there from the cruise ship. AMAZING! Very quiet, lovely pool, clean beach with palapas and chairs. Rented kayaks just a ways down the beach. Food at the restaurant there was amazing, best fish tacos we have ever had. Well worth a visit if you want a nice relaxing day at a great spot.