do oceanview windows open?

Megan_Strick

Hi, I asked the same question to my TA.lol.Im cheap,so since DH and I are both smokers {shame on us,I know} I figured we'd just open the window to smoke.lol.Nope.So we booked a balcony.Don't feel bad about asking either! I did! And my TA,like everyone else here,said,No.

Does anyone know why they don't? Since the newer ships have so many balconies, I would think any damage risk to the interior would be about the same. It would be so great if even a small portion of the window opened.

The OV cabins are much closer to the water so could get splashed from there in rough seas. Also, they'd have no overhang like the balconies do so rain could get in.

Does anyone know why they don't? Since the newer ships have so many balconies, I would think any damage risk to the interior would be about the same. It would be so great if even a small portion of the window opened.

Because open windows let in even more water if the ship is taking on water.

What I mean is that there are OVs at the same level and above balcony levels on some ships and people use bungee cords to keep their doors open and magnets so the air conditioning stays on, etc.

I know that a balcony provides additional protection to the interior, but not a tremendous amount. I have a big over-hang above my patio door at home, but it doesn't help much when it's raining and the wind is blowing.

I would pay more for a OV window that opened, even if it only opened slightly.

Some rooms on the Spirit Class ships that are behind the lifeboats have french doors. This is the closest thing to a window that opens on a Carnival ship that I know of. These are higher up than most ocean view these days.

In the old days port holes opened, But that was before A.C.

Tom in Long Beach

Some rooms on the Spirit Class ships that are behind the lifeboats have french doors. This is the closest thing to a window that opens on a Carnival ship that I know of. These are higher up than most ocean view these days.

In the old days port holes opened, But that was before A.C.

Tom in Long Beach

Thanks Tom, my husband was on a ship out of Puerto Rico in the 1980's and the port holes opened. He said there was a special tool and they had to close them when leaving the cabin.

I imagine energy efficiency and cleaning has a lot to do with it. It can't be just about fear of water coming in, especially on the OVs at and above decks with balconies.

The OV cabins are much closer to the water so could get splashed from there in rough seas. Also, they'd have no overhang like the balconies do so rain could get in.

Have you heard of the Cove Balconies on the Dream? Right on the Main floor, 2 stories up from the water! ;)

I'll tell you abot it when i get back from my Dream cruise@!

There's a lot of spray that gets on the windows....

It makes me wonder how wet it gets on the balconies! ===> It gets wet!

We did a Med. cruise on Ocean Village Two, back in Sept. 07.

The night before we boarded, the ship went thru a decent/indecent spell of nasty weather

with 50 kt. winds -between Corsica and Mallorca.

Our window on Deck 6 was a salty mess! (No-one cleaned it for the whole week!):mad:

Here's what it looked like by the time we got to Rainy Rome, 4 days later

Window-408-Rain.jpg

where I could make something of the photographic nightmare.

I did the bridge tour on the sea day, and mentioned to the group that my Deck 6 window was yukky-salty

to which a lady replied that hers was just as salty on Deck TEN.

Hope this helps to answer your queries?

Yeah, we've found the windows stay very salty and sometimes wet as is the nature when sailing the ocean blue. Much better to splurge for the balcony! Its just so much better and so worth it and its even really neat in a (slight) storm.

That's what I used to hate about the OV rooms. There was enough room for DW and I to sit in the wells to watch the view, but it was always schmeered with the salt of the ocean.

And yet never found the switch for the windshield wiper. :mad:

Archived