Baltic Cruise

Adirondack1

My husband and I- along with another couple- are going on the Baltic Cruise- Stockholm to Copenhagen in June. I would appreciate any suggestions on what you've found to be the highlights in Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn, and St. Petersburg. Also, what tours did you sign up with on Silversea? Which cities are possible to do on your own? Finally, our daughter-in-law is Russian and her parents may make the trip to St. Petersburg to meet us. How could we make this happen? Hire a private tour guide that includes them? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Karen

Imo Stickholm, Talinn and Helsinki are all doable on your own. The ship docks near the center o town in all three cities. Google each city and you'll find advice on the key sights. In St Petersburg DEFINITELY WITHOUT A DOUBT get a private guide instead of doing ship's excursions. It will be cheaper and you will be able to set the agenda. You'll have your own guide and car with driver instead of being on a bus. You will be taken to the head of the line at each sight. And if you want to add your daughter-in-law's parents it will be much easier. The best tour companies are Denrus, Red October and Alla. They provide you with the visas too so nothing necessary there. Google them and you will get all the info you need including suggested itineraries.

We did Stockholm > Southampton about 3.75 years ago on the Whisper. Spent a few days in Stockholm first: got the museum card which allowed us to go in whatever we wanted for a flat fee. Stayed at the Hilton (which was the SS hotel but we booked separately, breakfast buffet was included) across the bridge from Old Town (Gamla Stan?) and walked to what we wanted to do. Even managed to walk to the ship but the tall metal stairs to the dock were tricky with suitcases. Took train from airport and transferred to subway...2 blocks from hotel and easy to spot.

SS did a shuttle bus into Tallinn: we took it there but walked back to the ship. Wandered around the town and looked at the walls, architecture, etc.

Walked to Church in the Rock in Helsinki which was a hike but we got to see the train station and other sites along the way. SS docks next to the open air market where we bought some juniper coasters.

For ladies, advise taking a head scarf in your pocket as there was one Cathedral in St P where a portion was blocked off if your head was not covered.

I also think I should have had a scarf on in Tallinn's Cathedral. I did manage to buy a postcard in their tiny gift shop for my Orthodox friend.

Have fun! Melissa

I always have a head scarf tucked in my bag/purse while ashore in Europe, especially Eastern Europe. Covering one's head is a matter of courtesy, as is dressing modestly (no tees, shorts, etc.) in places of worship. The same applies when visiting mosques, some of which require full-length coverage for women.

Stockholm is easy to do on your own. And as mentioned above the train from the airport is a good way to reach the city. Your ship will be docked close to the Old Town (Gamla Stan).

How long will you be staying before the cruise? Hilton Slussen (mentioned above) is in a convenient place to stay but this summer the area may be a bit of a mess, heavy construction work has started there now and will go on for several years.

The one thing that almost every visitor to Stockholm wants to see is the Vasa Museum. Most would also want to stroll the streets in Gamla Stan. But for me who live in Stockholm it is a little strange to see all the visitors crowded together in the same streets. Some places are crowded with only tourists but there are other places nearby where you could see th real city and people who live there. All depends on what your interest are. If you have questions about Stockholm I will try to answer.

The Vasa was great! We took the water shuttle to there the morning we were scheduled to sail. SS had pulled in before dawn and we got some great pix of her at the dock from the water shuttle.

Arrived at the Vasa right at opening and saw most of it before the tours starting coming in. Made a huge difference.

Water shuttle back to hotel, collected bags, and walked to SS. We had asked for extra time to check out in case we were late but we didn't need it. Those taking the SS bus to the ship were in the lobby when we left but didn't arrive for another hour.

North-Bound- I have some questions for our two night stay in Stockholm. I'd love more information on walking around-we're staying at the Hilton- so we see Swedes and not tourists as you suggested. Also, what, other than the Vasa,do you think are must do sites? And finally, bars and restaurants that you can recommend? Thanks!

Stockholm is easy to do on your own. And as mentioned above the train from the airport is a good way to reach the city. Your ship will be docked close to the Old Town (Gamla Stan).

How long will you be staying before the cruise? Hilton Slussen (mentioned above) is in a convenient place to stay but this summer the area may be a bit of a mess, heavy construction work has started there now and will go on for several years.

The one thing that almost every visitor to Stockholm wants to see is the Vasa Museum. Most would also want to stroll the streets in Gamla Stan. But for me who live in Stockholm it is a little strange to see all the visitors crowded together in the same streets. Some places are crowded with only tourists but there are other places nearby where you could see th real city and people who live there. All depends on what your interest are. If you have questions about Stockholm I will try to answer.

Forgive me if I'm not responding correctly. I honestly find this site very hard to navigate. Anyway, I left a message on the thread but thought that maybe this would go directly to you. We're staying two nights at the Hilton Slussen. Tell me where do we want to walk around? What restaurants and bars can you recommend? Besides the museum, what do you think we should try to see in the two days that we're there? Thanks!