Silver Galápagos snorkelling

rn123

A question for anyone who has done the Galápagos cruise. I am not a very good swimmer but do want to try snorkelling if possible. Do they provide any aids, such as those foam float things? Also, do you get into the water from the zodiacs?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Silversea provides life vests for the zodiac that you can also snorkel with to keep you afloat. And yes, most of the snorkeling takes place from the zodiac in deep water. The zodiacs stay close by the snorkelers and will speed over quickly if you want to be picked up. I would tell the guide on your zodiac that you are not a great swimmer and that you may need to be picked up rather quickly and will signal them. There is some snorkeling off a few beaches, but most of the great snorkeling (and swimming with the sea lions) is from the Zodiac. You won't want to miss that--just stay close to the zodiacs and be careful so you are comfortable. It is a wonderful cruise.

Edited by Herman The Cat

Silversea provides life vests for the zodiac that you can also snorkel with to keep you afloat. And yes, most of the snorkeling takes place from the zodiac in deep water. The zodiacs stay close by the snorkelers and will speed over quickly if you want to be picked up. I would tell the guide on your zodiac that you are not a great swimmer and that you may need to be picked up rather quickly and will signal them. There is some snorkeling off a few beaches, but most of the great snorkeling (and swimming with the sea lions) is from the Zodiac. You won't want to miss that--just stay close to the zodiacs and be careful so you are comfortable. It is a wonderful cruise.

That's helpful, thank you. Good to know I can use the life vest if I need to. May do that the first time and see how I get on.

Counting down the days now ......

A question for anyone who has done the Galápagos cruise. I am not a very good swimmer but do want to try snorkelling if possible. Do they provide any aids, such as those foam float things? Also, do you get into the water from the zodiacs?

Thanks

You should have been in swim training by practising in the Forth :eek: I suspect the waters will be a wee bit warmer than they are off Burntisland just now! Enjoy what sounds like a wonderful cruise.

Edited by marchie1053

You should have been in swim training by practising in the Forth :eek: I suspect the waters will be a wee bit warmer than they are off Burntisland just now! Enjoy what sounds like a wonderful cruise.

:eek: Yes, that would have been good practice. Such a pity I've left it a bit late :)

Yes, should be a great trip, successful snorkelling or not.

You cannot touch sea life or land creatures they are very strict.

But they can touch you!One of my most favourite memories was swimming with some young male sea lions in the Galapagos.I was trying to imitate them.On one occasion when surfacing one came up alongside me,put his flipper around me and looked into my eyes as much to say-you need a lot more practice.

But they can touch you!One of my most favourite memories was swimming with some young male sea lions in the Galapagos.I was trying to imitate them.On one occasion when surfacing one came up alongside me,put his flipper around me and looked into my eyes as much to say-you need a lot more practice.

Yes, sometimes the wildlife have other ideas! In Antarctica we were told to keep x metres away from wildlife. However, the Penguins obviously didn't get the same instructions. They were very curious and got very close.