Refurbishment schedule?

sparty1

Does anyone know where or how I can find a refurbishment schedule for Silversea? Especially the Explorer? (It that takes so much "wear and tear" as an expeditionary ship) I do not know if this is fact, but my understanding is that it has had no refurbishing or updates since before it joined the Silversea family in 2008-9?

Thank you.

Appreciate the response,Mark. I hope you're right, but the only thing I could find was Discoverer refurb in 2014. And the most recent reviews stated "wear and tear showing", among other negatives. Since this is our first experience with the Silversea product, I was really hoping to see her at her best.(we will be on her for 34 days!!) I hope the experience lives up to the reputation! We're still looking forward to it though.

If I remember correctly, Explorer had a dry dock In May 2014.

While we have thoroughly enjoyed our three Silversea cruises, we have been disappointed by how long Silversea goes between refurbishments. They seem to spend their money on refurbishing old ships and finally building a new ship. The Whisper and Shadow were both in dire need of new carpeting and many other things. Not sure what Silversea management is thinking.

Was on the Shadow late November and found nothing to report regarding a refit etc etc.

I am beginning to think that some passengers "nit pick" and actually go on board looking for negatives and then don't enjoy what they have gone on SS for and in the end come on these boards to report their complaints to the world.

We were on the Explorer in October and it was about 12 months out from dry dock.The air con was definitely better than our voyage 12 months previously which was just as well because the cruise was from Nassau to Guayaquil.

Besides with the Explorer it is all about the destinations.You forget most other things.We though felt very comfortable with her condition.

Was on the Shadow late November and found nothing to report regarding a refit etc etc.

I am beginning to think that some passengers "nit pick" and actually go on board looking for negatives and then don't enjoy what they have gone on SS for and in the end come on these boards to report their complaints to the world.

Thank you! I could not have said it better myself. We were also on the Shadow recently and found nothing to complain about.

Appreciate the response,Mark. I hope you're right, but the only thing I could find was Discoverer refurb in 2014. And the most recent reviews stated "wear and tear showing", among other negatives. Since this is our first experience with the Silversea product, I was really hoping to see her at her best.(we will be on her for 34 days!!) I hope the experience lives up to the reputation! We're still looking forward to it though.

I did some searching and found this thread, the last post says it was done April/May 2014:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1894635

The Shadow's refit originally planned for this year was delayed till 2017.Apparently due to the costs of the new ship.The condition of the Silver suite I stayed in last time was poor.Threadbare furniture and a bath that was badly stained .The carpets in the corridors and Lounge furniture also very long in the tooth.Only the area next to the retail outlets had any refurbishment.

If you market yourself as a luxury or six star line these things are not discretionary.