Great news for Silversea - Mark Conroy takes the helm!

eroller

Mark Conroy of Regent fame will be taking the lead for Silversea's Americas office and operations. This is just the style of leadership Silversea needs and he did great things at Regent and other cruise lines. His title will be Managing Director. Unfortunately he will still answer to Silversea headquarters in Monaco but hopefully they give him a long leash.

Silversea's current North American headquarters is in Fort Lauderdale, but as reported earlier they are moving operations to Miami in the Brickell neighborhood.

I wish Bill the best of luck and much success at Silversea!

Definitely good news for Silversea!!! My only concern is that the "powers that be" at Silversea will allow Mark to work his "magic". If they tie his hands, nothing will change. We have the highest respect for Mark Conroy and wish him continued success.

It may be ' Wonderful News ' but it is strange that if one reads the Regent Board there appears to be as many critical contributions as on the SS Board ?

I suspect that Mark will be yet another name that passes through SS and we will notice very little change - its a Private Company and we know who makes the real decisions.

At the end of the day we can either continue to enjoy SS Cruises as they are at the time or ' Move On '.

I'm sure he is wonderful, but unless they have changed the SS structure he is purely responsible for marketing and sales targets in North and South America and has no responsibility for SS operations.

Jeff

Think you are 100% right.

I suspect that Mark will be yet another name that passes through SS and we will notice very little change - its a Private Company and we know who makes the real decisions.

You is a genius. And your thoughts are in line with the smart money.

Looks like a significant step down from his previous roles. Personally I'd rather that SS stops moving towards the Regent model.

Agree. Have no desire to pay for un-needed shore excursions or fight for space on one because people have double and triple booked.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like Mr Conroy has made the first change . Never offered before I can remember

The Most Exclusive All-Inclusive

Shore Excursions, WiFi, Airfare* and Transfers, Pre-Cruise Hotel (or Safari)

Mark already made a significant difference for us. We experienced a glitch on last year's Sydney to LA and again on this year's Barbados to Buenos Aires. Mark called me at home last week and has made it right. This is precisely the style of leadership Mark showed during the 9 years we sailed Regent when he was the President.

All we would like is to relax the amount informal nights to casual

For us that is the only real things about Silver Seas we would like to change

We hope they keep it so you can book with or without the Exclusive All-Inclusive

Agree. Have no desire to pay for un-needed shore excursions or fight for space on one because people have double and triple booked.

Actually, it is not possible to double or triple book excursions on Regent. On the other hand, many Regent passengers would be extremely happy if "included excursions" would disappear forever (or at least allow passengers to opt out for a credit). It seems that Silversea has copied Regent more than once - sometimes it is a good thing while other times it is not.

We sail both Silversea and Regent and feel that Mark Conroy can only make things better on Silversea (not that we found much wrong with it in the first place). The one thing that I do not think that Mark is in charge of is the condition of the ships. My biggest concern about sailing on Silversea is the need for more frequent refurbishments of all their ships. Each ship needs to be refurbished every 2 - 2 1/2 years in order for the carpeting and other items that see extreme use to stay looking pristine.

is Silversea going all-inclusive a la Regent -- that is, including excursions that you cannot opt out of, thereby increasing the price?

If so, sad for us -- we are running out of cruise lines!

I also agree. The shore excursions are bad value and I don't like the slow paced, impersonal, group format. We prefer to make our own arrangements for most ports.