Calico Jacks/Public beach??

canadaman111

We are looking for something cheap to do on our upcoming cruise. I have been researching this forum and want to confirm what I have read.

We will be a group of 6, including 4 kids. We can easily hop on a bus for $2pp and go to Calico Jacks. Calico Jacks is a bar/restaurant with a free public beach right next door. So we can use the beach for free and then Eat at Calico Jacks. Then just take the bus back to the port.

Does this make sense? Or am I missing some of it?

• 2 months later...
Where is the bus stop when we get off the tender at the port? Will they be waiting? Or do we have to go to a bus stop to wait? Is there a website that shows the bus system?

Google maps shows the bus depot to be 180 m walk from the cruise port.

You will want the YELLOW bus.

More info can be found on several Googled sites, such as... Cariba (dot) com!

The bottom line: you can wave an approching bus for them to pull over (IF they there is space available for your party), for either your outbound or return trips.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We went to this beach on October 3rd and wanted to provide some information. Calico Jack's sits directly on a public beach. The public beach does have showers. This area is gorgeous, but a little watch out. Our ship came into port about 4 hours before we were supposed to. We headed to Calico Jack's via the Public Bus system around 9 a.m. We had read about the buses on another thread. Very safe and was only $2.50 per person to Calico Jack's. Once the bus dropped us off, we had to walk across a vacant lot to get there. We were approached by "Jason" the "Beach Manager". He told us Calico Jacks was closed and wouldn't open until 11:00. He had nice chairs and umbrellas and so we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $20. He also told us that Calico Jack's charged $10 for each beer and that he could go across the street to the beer store and get us a 10 pack for $10. We held off on having him get us beer. After getting settled in, I looked down the beach toward Calico Jack's and noticed people. I walked down and there were quite a few people. I asked are you open. Why yes, we are!! We had just been taken. I asked about chair and umbrella rentals, they were all $5 each. How much are your beers. A bucket of local beers, 5 for $20 plus a $5 refundable deposit on the bucket. Again, Jason had lied to us. I went back to find Jason, and confronted him. He denied ever telling us Calico Jacks was closed. Whatever!! I demanded that Jason refund each couple $5 for the over charge, which he reluctantly wanted to do, but finally gave in. BEWARE of Jason and his entourage and just go straight to Calico Jacks. A few last things. We did get beers from Calico Jacks, all local, and very good. Their frozen drinks like dacquiri's, colada's and such are on the high side, $12, but came very strong. Then for the food. Behind us on the beach was a little area that had souvenir vendors and food vendors. There is a little white food trailer. I highly recommend this vendor, her name was Natasha. She has various offerings, but we chose to get an order of Jerk chicken and grilled red snapper. Each was $10 and was a generous portion and also included rice and beans, cole slaw and a grilled corn cob nugget. It was the best grilled snapper that I have had. All in all, taking Jason and his dealings, we had a great day at the beach with Calico Jacks. Hope this helps everyone.

We went to this beach on October 3rd and wanted to provide some information....

We were approached by "Jason" the "Beach Manager". He told us Calico Jacks was closed and wouldn't open until 11:00. He had nice chairs and umbrellas and so we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $20. He also told us that Calico Jack's charged $10 for each beer and that he could go across the street to the beer store and get us a 10 pack for $10. ....

I found your experience alarming.

To be clear, the Cayman Islands Government does not employ this "beach manager". Certainly no civil servant acting in his official capacity would ever be in position to direct business to or away from a particular business in this way. And unless something dramatic has happened recently there is no such position as "beach manager" at any public beach in Cayman.

To attempt to provide a positive CaymanKind experience to all our tourists the government of the Cayman Islands has in fact created a Public Lands Commission which will have an inspection unit with the responsibility of policing beach vendors. We expect our beach vendors to provide a positive experience and a friendly welcome to our guests. The behaviours exhibited by this "Jason" as described in your post do not meet the expectations the public has for those interacting with our tourist guests.

*** Please note. I am not a government official and do not speak for the government of the Cayman Islands. However I do relay the desire of so many of the people in Cayman to extend a welcoming greeting and a desire for you to enjoy your day in Cayman and the hope you will consider a return trip.

• 2 weeks later...
We went to this beach on October 3rd and wanted to provide some information. Calico Jack's sits directly on a public beach. The public beach does have showers. This area is gorgeous, but a little watch out. Our ship came into port about 4 hours before we were supposed to. We headed to Calico Jack's via the Public Bus system around 9 a.m. We had read about the buses on another thread. Very safe and was only $2.50 per person to Calico Jack's. Once the bus dropped us off, we had to walk across a vacant lot to get there. We were approached by "Jason" the "Beach Manager". He told us Calico Jacks was closed and wouldn't open until 11:00. He had nice chairs and umbrellas and so we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $20. He also told us that Calico Jack's charged $10 for each beer and that he could go across the street to the beer store and get us a 10 pack for $10. We held off on having him get us beer. After getting settled in, I looked down the beach toward Calico Jack's and noticed people. I walked down and there were quite a few people. I asked are you open. Why yes, we are!! We had just been taken. I asked about chair and umbrella rentals, they were all $5 each. How much are your beers. A bucket of local beers, 5 for $20 plus a $5 refundable deposit on the bucket. Again, Jason had lied to us. I went back to find Jason, and confronted him. He denied ever telling us Calico Jacks was closed. Whatever!! I demanded that Jason refund each couple $5 for the over charge, which he reluctantly wanted to do, but finally gave in. BEWARE of Jason and his entourage and just go straight to Calico Jacks. A few last things. We did get beers from Calico Jacks, all local, and very good. Their frozen drinks like dacquiri's, colada's and such are on the high side, $12, but came very strong. Then for the food. Behind us on the beach was a little area that had souvenir vendors and food vendors. There is a little white food trailer. I highly recommend this vendor, her name was Natasha. She has various offerings, but we chose to get an order of Jerk chicken and grilled red snapper. Each was $10 and was a generous portion and also included rice and beans, cole slaw and a grilled corn cob nugget. It was the best grilled snapper that I have had. All in all, taking Jason and his dealings, we had a great day at the beach with Calico Jacks. Hope this helps everyone.

Great info ! thank you for such a detailed post of your experience ! :)

I was just there when I was onboard Divina. Chairs were $10 a person, and the umbrella was an additional $15. The beach bar looked like it had some good food options, and it did have hoses to wash yourself off before leaving, but the wifi there was pretty spotty. There are also some thrill options right by Calico Jacks, such at Jetski and Water Jetpack rentals, and closer to the new Seafire resort, you can relax in a quieter atmosphere. It is an amazing beach though, I would highly recommend, and will likely visit again myself!

Can you take a cab right up to the beach and avoid walking through the open lot? If so, do you know how much that would cost?

The cab would drop you off in the parking lot. They can't drive on the beach. They would be able to drop you off at whichever edge, though. Taxi fare would be the same no matter where in the parking lot they dropped you off, it's flat rate not metered.

Just returned from Gran Cayman. Beautiful country. Feel free to walk around and explore. Boarded a taxi at the port (and yes there is shopping) which took us up to Calico Jacks.(I think it was $7 ea) Very nice beach

Rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for $15. Cocktails at Jacks are $12.50 each. We were told there was a liquor store across the street Folks near us went across the street and came back with ice,a cooler .soda and alcohol

Taxis are readily available for when you want to leave. The ocean water was awesome.

Did not purchase food at Jacks

Did walk around downtown when we returned to port to shop

Had a great time there last Friday. We were the only ship in that day so

it was fairly quiet, I rented two chairs ($10 total) and did not even end up using them, a good place to keep your bag though..ended up buying a bucket of beer and sat in the water most of the time drinking....

very lovely place

• 2 weeks later...

we were there last week. No, it wasn't all that nice. There were 4 ships in port that day, and all the public beaches were overcrowded.

I got 3 chaises for $15 total and managed to find some shade. The jet skis were stinking up the air really badly and the little space that was left for the swimmers got really crowded. The water was nice and clear, but it was very crowded... People were bumping into each other all the time.

But yeah, the beach was free.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you take a taxi to Calico Jacks? If so, any idea how much that would cost?

Cabs and shared shuttles are 5 or 6 bucks per person each way. The ride there is 15 min and plan on 30 min to return to pier. As you exit the cab and walk to the beach Jack's is to your right and Public Beach is to the left. Jack's has full facilities . Public Beach you can also rent chairs, sun umbrella and there is also a bathroom with showers. No food but there is a snack truck which also has soda and water.

Jack's can get crowded and Public has more beach.

• 3 weeks later...
It's $2.50 pp...but yes..that's a great way to spend a day. You probably won't need chairs for the kids...they rarely sit, and can share with an adult if needed. Cheaper that way, too!

Do you know the price to rent chairs and an umbrella?