Change of travel companion

azam71209

Hi All-

My husband, Joe, passed away recently. We had reservations for the Sirena Rome-Venice August 30 cruise. My TA is getting the run around on changing the reservation from my husband to my sister. They need to get permission of the director, etc.

Has anybody run into anything like this? Also, any tips on dealing with the United to get the ticket changed. We used miles.

We do have travel insurance but a sea voyage with my sister seems like a really good idea.

Mary

Mary,

I am sorry to hear about your loss - a trip with your sister may indeed be a good idea.

The cruise lines don't usually allow name changes under normal circumstances (just like airlines) but I would hope that the Oceania might reconsider under these circumstances.

As far as the airline goes, they will probably charge you for the miles to be re-deposited into the account and then used again for your sister. The tricky part is that there might not a an award available after the cancellation of your husband's award. A supervisor might be needed to take care of tis transaction.

Good luck!

Sorry to read of your recent loss, Mary.

On this board I have read both good and bad for getting a name change and it seems the devil is in the details.

I did a quick search but not everyone is as good as you with an appropriate thread title. One I read was that they have done this before and they did not have difficulty. Another thread I was looking for, but could not find, I recall they were unable to get the name change. Not unexpectedly that one went into the travel insurance discussion.

Some cruise lines are very reasonable with a passenger change, and even at quite a low cost. Retaining at least one of the original passengers on the booking is important (essentially they don't want people to be able to "resell" their cabin) but I have read here that O can be very firm as are some other cruise lines.

I see big problem is that you are so very close to sailing. Even the cruise lines that have very reasonable policies might deny the change at this close in date.

Good thing that you do have travel insurance and that could cover the cost for a new Ocean cruise with your sister. But you need to check with the person who sold you that policy to be certain of your coverage because delays in making a claim or notification might affect coverage.

All the best, I hope this works out for you without too much more stress and your TA is able to come up with an acceptable solution.

I was once told that a change can be made before final payment but not after. However, like Paul, I would prefer to think that an exception could be made under these circumstances. Rules and rules, but they can also be broken!

My sympathies on the loss of your husband.

Mura

I know my ta has been able to do it for someone. Your ta may have to go up the chain to get to yes

As for the airline get a supervisor. When I was ill we had to cancel many mileage flights. When my wife explained that I was near death and in a coma all fees were waived. There are compassionate people out there and your situation certainly warrants bending the rules

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi All-

My husband, Joe, passed away recently. We had reservations for the Sirena Rome-Venice August 30 cruise. My TA is getting the run around on changing the reservation from my husband to my sister. They need to get permission of the director, etc.

Has anybody run into anything like this? Also, any tips on dealing with the United to get the ticket changed. We used miles.

We do have travel insurance but a sea voyage with my sister seems like a really good idea.

Mary

Hello Mary,

I am sorry for your loss, and the process of grieving will take many forms for many years. It will be good for you to continue your plans and have your sister along for emotional and physical support.

I have been in a situation where my husband and I booked a cruise with Oceania but he became ill. I was able to travel with a friend using my husband's reservation. I was told by Oceania at that time (2013) that as long as one of us was sailing, we could make the change and substitute another person. Perhaps you could contact Oceania directly and ask the question. Then give the answer to your TA. With the cruise rapidly approaching, you don't have much time.

Hope this helps.

Mia

About the airline ticket, you probably can get the miles returned to your account, but I would be guessing you just want your sister to travel on his ticket. You might contact the reward department about this. It may be challenging if the account is in his name. Air Canada's Aeroplan treats these points as part of his estate and you have to make a claim for it. It might take some time to process. That said, if you have his password, etc, I have known people who never notify the airline that the individual is deceased and continue to use the points. I would never recommend that you do this. I am just passing on something I have heard from another person.

Mia

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that Oceania works with you to make the substitution. I agree with others that continuing to travel will be therapeutic.

When my father passed away 2 years ago, Mom substituted my name on 2 cruises - however, these were well before final payment was due. Not sure which airline you used, Mom was able to transfer Dad's airline miles into her account relatively easily (compared to many of the other tasks you deal with post death).

Sorry for your your loss.

We cruised a few years ago with a couple who were on their first cruise in a penthouse. Her parents had booked. Mom became ill so Dad asked daughter to accompany him. Closer to sail date Dad was advised not to travel so they changed it to her husband. Neither were on original booking. This was on Oceania. They had no trouble with changes, but were concerned they may not be happy in the future in a lower cabin. [emoji6]

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been in a situation where my husband and I booked a cruise with Oceania but he became ill. I was able to travel with a friend using my husband's reservation. I was told by Oceania at that time (2013) that as long as one of us was sailing, we could make the change and substitute another person. Perhaps you could contact Oceania directly and ask the question

We booked a cruise for next year while on a recent O cruise. I asked the travel ambassador about this specific situation since my wife suffers from stage 4 cancer. Her answer, which I also received from my TA, was that as long as one of the names on the booking stayed the same it wouldn't be a problem.

If you get the run around I suggest contacting Bob Binder, CEO Oceania, directly. He responds quickly.

So sorry for your loss, I really hope you manage to get details changed without too many more issues. A word of advice, a brief explanation on Oceania's facebook page explaining any difficulty you are having will likely help grease the wheels as bad publicity is never very good for firms on Facebook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So sorry for your loss, I really hope you manage to get details changed without too many more issues. A word of advice, a brief explanation on Oceania's facebook page explaining any difficulty you are having will likely help grease the wheels as bad publicity is never very good for firms on Facebook.

I think that's bad advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's why this is a forum so we can share ideas and experiences :)

I am not on Facebook and have no intentions to ever be.

That said, I think one should use Facebook only if all else failed and one could not get satisfaction from neither Oceania nor one's TA

JMO

Azam71209, I hope you get this problem sorted, my experience with posting on Facebook has worked on occasion, and certainly did during times when companies were being particularly stubborn during the time around my Father's death in March this year. A gentle prod publicly with careful wording can work wonders. Sometimes the message needs to get to people directly rather than via those who feel they are bound by more rules and regs. We had a couple of issues where we needed to point out the issues surrounding our needs and why and when people saw them from within the company they were more than willing to help - we did of course post that these issues had been fixed by the company which also helps them. I do hope you are able to get Oceania to help you in this matter.

ToxM,

Thank you for your explanation.

It sounds like you did just what I suggested in my post #16 above.

I am glad it worked for you and hope it will for the OP as well in the end (hopefully the Facebook approach will not be needed).

I heard back from Oceania. No problem allowing my sister to take my deceased husband's place. No change fee even though it is after final payment. Thanks for all the advice. Now I just have to see about getting the airline tickets changed. If there is no change fee, Travelguard says they may be able to just change the name on the insurance as well.

Mary