BARCELONA: update terror attack Aug 2017

EnricM

I was going to post another update on the situation in Barcelona, like I've been doing regularly since yesterday so as to keep visitors abreast... but I found the previous thread "CLOSED", http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2534274

Does this mean the moderators in this forum deem that no further information should be provided? Unfortunately, the lack of a PM system in the forum makes it more complicated to be able to maintain a conversation with them.

Would you please let me know if it's all right to post an update? Do so by either responding here or by closing this one too... then I'll know.

Thanks

I can't speak for the moderators but I imagine that they are trying to keep the focus of this site on cruising and information that is pertinent for cruise ship passengers. An ongoing terrorist attack in central Barcelona is relevant; a shootout in Cambrils doesn't necessarily need to be reported on in detail on this site, with updates every hour.

The knock-on effects of this attack (some tourist areas closed, increased security at the airport etc.) will continue to have consequences for cruise ship passengers for the next few weeks, and I think the moderators will be OK if you post information specifically about that. But the list of dead/injured, and the latest details about the police operation, this is probably not the right place to post all of that news.

At this time of year, ships sail into and out of Barcelona almost daily. The pier is near the foot of Las Ramblas, where the attack took place, and that area is a prime cruise passenger destination. I fail to see how the events in Barcelona do not affect cruisers in a major way.

At this time of year, ships sail into and out of Barcelona almost daily. The pier is near the foot of Las Ramblas, where the attack took place, and that area is a prime cruise passenger destination. I fail to see how the events in Barcelona do not affect cruisers in a major way.

These events affect us in every way. All cruisers should know all the facts, good or bad and none should be kept from us. Not the way to run this kind of web site. :confused::confused::confused:

These events affect us in every way. All cruisers should know all the facts, good or bad and none should be kept from us. Not the way to run this kind of web site. :confused::confused::confused:

I agree was really surprised they moved/delete it . we visited this beautiful city last year before our Brilliance cruise

Excellent points...my friends are leaving in a few weeks for a Western med cruise. The more info for future cruisers the better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excellent points...my friends are leaving in a few weeks for a Western med cruise. The more info for future cruisers the better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What are the moderators afraid of? Are we in Russia where if they do not like what you say they shut you down? They need to re think what they do. :(:(:(

I agree was really surprised they moved/delete it .
I don't think they moved or deleted anything. The OP only said that they closed the thread he was posting on. There are still two threads in the Spain Ports forum about the attack that are still visible for everyone to read. In addition to this one.

Very sad. We love Barcelona. One of the victims is from our area, next town over. So sad. He and his wife were on their honeymoon.

Yes, very sad. Extend our prayers to them and all the victims.

... I am sorry but I haven't heard anything from the moderators, as you can see no answers from them here. Since they closed the previous thread, I don't know whether I can/should continue posting useful info or not.

... I am sorry but I haven't heard anything from the moderators, as you can see no answers from them here. Since they closed the previous thread, I don't know whether I can/should continue posting useful info or not.

I would until the Mos advise otherwise. Only way to ascertain what applies to this website. I haven't read your other posts regarding the subject, but the events of the attack is important info to travelers/cruisers other than what is being reported by the US papers/networks.

Appreciate these helpful posts and follow-ups from EnricM. In checking for various news stories on what has happened with cruise ship schedules, there was not much available. I assume that means that cruise companies believe that the current situations in Barcelona is "stable" and reasonably safe. Let's all hope for the best!!

From this one travel industry source, TravelMarket, they had this headline late yesterday: Travel In Barcelona Recovers In Wake Of Las Ramblas Attack with these highlights: In a statement, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) said no member guest or crewmembers were impacted by the attack. Aside from ships that were in the area during the attack on Thursday, most cruise lines are sticking to their scheduled Barcelona calls over the next few days, though some are cancelling shore excursions.”.

Sounds like people are being cautious, but continuing with schedules as planned.

Full story at:

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Travel-In-Barcelona-Recovers-In-Wake-Of-Las-Ramblas-Attack

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 226,952 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

You guys are totally right... here it goes:

UPDATE as of 3:00pm GMT+1 - Aug 19th 2017

INFORMATION FOR FAMILIES AND LOVED ONES: tel. +34 900 400 012

After a very busy period with the incidents in Cambrils two nights ago, in which 5 terrorists were shot dead and the continuous Police checks in the exits of Barcelona, things have calmed down very much now. "Normality" -mind me!- has returned to Les Rambles and Plaça Catalunya were thousands of Barcelonians and tourist alike (the City Police has estimated 100,000) gathered at noon (12:00), alongside Catalan authorities and Spanish authorities, for a minute of silence and a display of homage: http://bilder4.n-tv.de/img/incoming/crop19990179/6144992213-cImg_16_9-w680/59663bcb7a4e6fa82c553914cfffac0a.jpg Today Les Rambles is again bustling with people, local and visitors albeit there are several spots were candles, messages and other items are being left by the public in a show of respect.

Unfortunately, false information and rumours have spread (again) in the social media, as it has happened in other major incidents elsewhere. Authorities are insisting that please DO NOT be an accessory to this despicable practice. DO NOT share unsubstantiated information and get the facts ONLY from reputable sources. The best sources are https://twitter.com/emergenciescat (Emergencies of Catalonia, the agency coordinating response teams) and https://twitter.com/mossos (Catalan Police, in charge of the operations) which are emitting messages in several languages so everybody can be kept abreast of the latest developments. Also local news outlets like www.324.cat and http://elnacional.cat/en/ or other serious well-known international websites like bbc.co.uk , www.reuters.com or www.afp.com among others (tip: avoid tabloids at all cost!)

Injured people continue to be treated in some 15 hospitals in the city. This attack has caused local victims as well as victims for 34 different nationalities: https://twitter.com/emergenciescat?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor If you need to find more information please see my previous news flash in this thread for telph numbers etc. A call that has circulated in whatsapp is no longer in place: there's no need for more interpreters, the situation is covered. Same goes for blood donation, those willing to donate blood should visit the hospitals during the next days as blood is perishable.

The death toll has increased to 14, as 1 local female who was knifed in the attack in Cambrils two nights ago has deceased. The identification, based on fingerprints, of 8 of those deadly victims has already been confirmed. From the original 130-something injured in several degrees, the vast majority have already been discharged. There are 54 people still being treated but the critically injured has decreased from 15 to 12.

I prefer to focus on the human aspect of this tragedy and I will not provide details on the ongoing police investigations, much less on the gore aspects, so as not to participate in the charade of some media (and a few politicians, local and foreign alike!) which are coming to unfounded conclusions and providing false or uncorroborated details as well as despicable imagery which exclusively belongs to the private sphere of those affected. Shame on you and STOP the media circus, please! If and when information is released through the proper channels I'll be glad to pass it on... if anyone is interested.

Mobility has returned to normal and all stations in the area are open. The rest of the city also functions normally. This includes attractions and other places normally visited by tourists. However, some events -especially street concerts- in the area of Gràcia, which is celebrating the 200th anniversary of its famous Festa de Gràcia (15th-21st August), have been cancelled out of respect to the victims. The rest of the activities, however (ie street decoration contest, Castellers, etc) will go ahead. Police presence in the street has been increased -as if there weren't before!- but there's no other known immediate threat.

This weekend (19th and 20th) the Saló de Cent at the historic building of the City Hall has been opened to the public for the signature of condolences. Should you be in the city and wish to pay your respects, feel free to go. It's located in Plaça Sant Jaume, at the heart of the city. On a more "touristic" note, if I may, the Saló de Cent (Hall of the One Hundred) is a historical hall where the government of the city, the Consell the Cent, had been meeting since the fundamental structure of the municipal government was created in 1249 by Catalan King Jaume the First. This was so until 1714, when the Spanish conquered Catalonia and Barcelona, its capital, and all institutions were abolished. Now, under a partially devolved self-government, the City Hall -as well as the Parliament and Government of Catalonia- once again perform their functions. However, the Consell the Cent in its modern form doesn't meet in this hall, but in an adjacent one and its composition (and the way member are chosen) has also varied. The Saló de Cent Hall is exquisitely decorated with the colours of the Catalan flag and it's well worth a visit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consell_de_Cent#/media/File:Salo_de_Cent.jpg On normal weekends, this and other areas of the historic building can be visited on Sundays from 10 to 2pm, free of charge. It's a short, self-guided visit which can be done in 20-30'.

Also this weekend there are two major events in the city, one being a football match at Camp Nou. Police controls have been stepped up and queues are expected. If you're attending know that only small bags will be allowed into the stadium (no suitcases). Some foreign visitors have sometimes attended games coming straightly from the airport thus carrying bags. This will not be permitted in this game.

On a personal level: Thank you very much to all here for your support and also, and most especially, to the Catalan government, the Catalan Police and Emergency Services for their magnificent job coordinating the response to this tragedy. And also to all the tourists in Barcelona and my fellow Barcelonians for the great show of solidarity, civility and respect for others, including, of course, towards the Muslim community in the city. There'll be time to explain, but the numerous small gestures one saw these past two days are heart moving: neighbours offering their homes, tourists offering themselves as interpreters, taxi drivers sharing their cars with people in need, neighbourhoods in the north of the city feeding the drivers that stood stuck in the rapid roads for hours on end... same than in Paris, in London, in Nice, in Stockholm. That's why WE will prevail.

If you have any information call the Police hotline at +34 937 285 220

#Barcelona #NoTincPor

Edited by EnricM

Thank you very much for the updates. We most definately deserve to be told the true facts of what is going on and thank you for that.

Personally I have been to Barcelona twice and will be there in a few weeks again. The honest reports are what we need to decide how much we will allow ourselves to be affected by such horrendous acts.

My DH at this stage is saying he won't be getting off the ship I am undecided.

Thank you very much for the updates. We most definately deserve to be told the true facts of what is going on and thank you for that. Personally I have been to Barcelona twice and will be there in a few weeks again. The honest reports are what we need to decide how much we will allow ourselves to be affected by such horrendous acts. My DH at this stage is saying he won't be getting off the ship I am undecided.

YES, agree with Tara Jane and appreciate these continued excellent comments, details and follow-ups from EnricM. Glad you will be traveling from Melbourne, Australia. BUT, both because Barcelona is such a great city and it seems that things are getting back to "normal", I would encourage you to get off of the ship. It is your choice and decision, but the Spanish officials seemed to have done a good job getting on top of these challenges. "Bad things" can happen in any large city, whether in Europe, the USA or Australia. As always, be alert and careful as to when, where and what you do. Generally, things are going to work out well. Good luck to all visiting Europe this year. We were just there in June, Lisbon to Paris. All fine and great.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,302 views for this posting.

Thank you very much for the updates. We most definately deserve to be told the true facts of what is going on and thank you for that.

Personally I have been to Barcelona twice and will be there in a few weeks again. The honest reports are what we need to decide how much we will allow ourselves to be affected by such horrendous acts.

My DH at this stage is saying he won't be getting off the ship I am undecided.

Just saw your post, dear Tara Jane....

We, too, are heartbroken for the victims and families and residents of this beautiful city. And we are NOT changing our plans to spend several pre-cruise days in Barcelona in a few weeks.

Just sent you an email to compare schedules in hopes of getting together there.

(BTW: Moltes gracies to EnricM for your very helpful and gracious updates.)

Reminding myself to deeply appreciate every happy moment,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)