Port of Southampton

We used a highly recommended company, smithsforairports.com - they picked us up after customs (which always takes a while) and drove us directly to our Southampton hotel- I think it takes about 90 minutes but they can give you a better estimate- we also arranged for them to take us back to London after the cruise

We are taking a cruise out of Southampton. For the port of Southampton, do we fly into London-Heathrow? Also, how far is it from Heathrow to the port? How long does it take to get from airport? Thanks so much

We had a very good fare flying to Dublin on Aer Linus with a connection on Flybe directly to Southhampton

We did a cruise out of Southampton back in 2006.

We took a car from Heathrow to Southampton and stayed the night in a guest house.

There is no direct train from Heathrow to Southampton.

Here is a link that shows some of the train options.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_train.htm

I would definitely say spend the night in Southampton if you are flying in from USA.

Do not try to fly in the day of the cruise.

We flew into LHR a few years ago and booked National bus from the terminal to Southampton bus station. We stayed overnight at the Mercure Dolphin which offered free transportation to the ship. Bus maybe took 2 hours. Did the return too.

Regardless of how you get to London, the train ride to Southampton from London is very easy, and it is not a bad walk (or taxi) from the station to the cruise terminal. I believe it leaves from Waterloo Station. I did it this summer, and stayed a night in West Cowes on the Isle of Wight. I'd really recommend that if you want to add a fun adventure in a quaint English seaside town before your cruise!

If on Cunard they have transport from Heathrow to the dock arranged with Travel Agent. I used a Heathrow Hotel after flying from HK and they could pick up from there. A Fred Olsen cruise used National Bus, but was via the London terminal then to Southampton dock.

Regardless of how you get to London, the train ride to Southampton from London is very easy, and it is not a bad walk (or taxi) from the station to the cruise terminal. I believe it leaves from Waterloo Station. I did it this summer, and stayed a night in West Cowes on the Isle of Wight. I'd really recommend that if you want to add a fun adventure in a quaint English seaside town before your cruise!

Our flight arrives around 10am the day before we embark the cruise. I like your idea of a train from London to Southampton and spending a night in the Southampton area. Can you give me a few more details such as: how close is the Heathrow airport to the station where you would catch the train to Southampton? Is the train direct or do you have to change trains? How close is the Isle of Wight to Southampton cruise port?

I was already in London, so what I did was most convenient for me. It was a direct train (South West Trains) from Waterloo. I just looked on Google Maps, and it looks like there is a bus from Heathrow that will take you to a different train (CrossCountry). Here's a link to what I found: https://goo.gl/maps/xRyZ9PkJ7TP2

To get to the Isle of Wight, you take a ferry (http://www.redfunnel.uk). The ferry to East Cowes is larger and takes an hour. The ferry to West Cowes is smaller and faster. It's about 1/2 hr. It was a pretty easy walk from the ferry station in Southampton to the cruise terminal, but I like to walk. :) Also, if you do go to Isle of Wight, I stayed at OneFifty Cowes (http://www.onefiftycowes.co.uk/find-us.html), which was an extremely charming inn. It was very reasonably priced, had a fantastic breakfast, and the owner will pick you up from the ferry terminal and take you back. It was so lovely!

Our flight arrives around 10am the day before we embark the cruise. I like your idea of a train from London to Southampton and spending a night in the Southampton area. Can you give me a few more details such as: how close is the Heathrow airport to the station where you would catch the train to Southampton? Is the train direct or do you have to change trains? How close is the Isle of Wight to Southampton cruise port?

We are taking a cruise out of Southampton. For the port of Southampton, do we fly into London-Heathrow? Also, how far is it from Heathrow to the port? How long does it take to get from airport? Thanks so much

By far the easiest way is to simply get a transfer from Your cruise line. Fly into London Heathrow; get your luggage and there is someone from the line right there at the baggage claim. You'll be taken to a waiting area until all scheduled pickups are there, and then taken to the ship.

I do feel I should tell you though, that you shouldn't expect a lot of your tours to happen. We had three scheduled; one to Bruges, one to Normandy D-Day beach and one to Windsor Castle on the way back to Heathrow. We only got the Bruges one in. The Normandy was canceled as only a few Americans were on board; Windsor Castle was canceled as the Queen was in town. I know of others that had only ONE chance to see Stonehenge and had their tour canceled. If seeing Stonehenge is something you want to do; stay a day extra if possible and take a bus tour. Get the after-hours tour so you can go inside the circle; otherwise you can't get real close.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on how much time you have.

I've arranged a private transfer through Viator.com and I've also gone via coach with National Express Coaches. The later was the cheapest option and I got a cheap fare online of £5 each. The coach takes about 2hrs.

Then it's just a short taxi to the cruise terminal.

There is no direct train between LHR and Southampton. You either have to go via London, which is in the wrong direction, or take a coach to Reading and then a train from there.

Cheapest, and it is comfortable and efficient, is National Express coach. This drops off not far from the Cruise Terminal.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Easiest is to book a car service from one of the recommended taxi companies. They will meet you at arrivals, help with the luggage, and take you straight to your hotel.

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

https://www.aquacars.co.uk/

http://westquaycars.com/

They all have a very good reputation on this forum.

We also did the Smiths for Airports and loved them! We had a very early morning flight (the red eye actually!) so we arrived at around 5:30 a.m. Our driver was there right when we got through customs. He was very friendly, gave a lot of ideas, tips, and advice. In fact, he ended up driving us to Portsmouth after we dropped out luggage at our hotel in Southampton. That way we could see the Historic Dockyard there. Then we just took a train back to Southampton when we were done. I would totally recommend them. We did consider the bus since it was cheaper, but we didn't want to have to wait around and we just wanted something a little more peaceful and quiet, being so early in the morning.

We also did the Smiths for Airports and loved them! We had a very early morning flight (the red eye actually!) so we arrived at around 5:30 a.m. Our driver was there right when we got through customs. He was very friendly, gave a lot of ideas, tips, and advice. In fact, he ended up driving us to Portsmouth after we dropped out luggage at our hotel in Southampton. That way we could see the Historic Dockyard there. Then we just took a train back to Southampton when we were done. I would totally recommend them. We did consider the bus since it was cheaper, but we didn't want to have to wait around and we just wanted something a little more peaceful and quiet, being so early in the morning.

Thanks! In two weeks, we're using them for the first time, and your review was welcome news.

Thanks! In two weeks, we're using them for the first time, and your review was welcome news.

You're welcome! And if you look on Trip Advisor, you'll also see a lot of positive reviews for them. I left mine! Our driver's name was Ian, he really was great!

We just got back from our British isles cruise last night. I recommend going early to see more of London (or another British city or town). We met people who had a horror story of arriving the morning of our cruise. They had wait time in Heathrow, wait time for the coach to fill, wait time to get into the cruise terminal since they arrived so early, and then wait time before boarding commenced. Since they did not have any type of priority boarding, it was after 1 before they got on the ship. It's not a relaxing way to start.

We stayed three nights in London, took the train to Southampton for one night there (to see the Tudor House and Gardens and the SeaCity Museum's Titanic exhibit), then boarding our ship. We took the cruise line's transfer to Heathrow after the cruise. It was easiest for our early afternoon flight.

In retrospect, I wish we had added more days after our cruise like some of the people we met on board.

We always fly a day before to Heathrow when sailing out of Southampton. Travel time from the airport is usually 1 hour, or a little more depending on traffic.

We always fly a day before to Heathrow when sailing out of Southampton. Travel time from the airport is usually 1 hour, or a little more depending on traffic.

The distance is just over 60 miles. Given a quiet time of day you might do it in just over an hour, but I would allow 2 hours, more if during the morning or evening rush hour.

The distance is just over 60 miles. Given a quiet time of day you might do it in just over an hour, but I would allow 2 hours, more if during the morning or evening rush hour.

Just to add to that, most folk heading to London or its airports post-cruise Monday thru Friday are likely to encounter rush-hour somewhere along the way, so best to allow 2.5 hours to Heathrow.

Same applies to summer Saturday mornings heading from London or Heathrow to Southampton, due to London lemmings heading to the coast.

JB :)

We landed around 5:30 in July and we were on the road by 6 a.m. It still took us a little over an hour to get to the hotel. There was a lot of traffic heading into London. But then when we got to Southampton, it was getting busier. We ended up going with our driver over to Portsmouth then, and boy did traffic get very busy!!

We landed around 5:30 in July and we were on the road by 6 a.m. It still took us a little over an hour to get to the hotel. There was a lot of traffic heading into London. But then when we got to Southampton, it was getting busier. We ended up going with our driver over to Portsmouth then, and boy did traffic get very busy!!

Hi Cindy,

You'll have been heading into Southampton about 7.15 - 7.30, just at the beginning of the local commuter time.

And from Southampton to Portsmouth at about 8am - right in the thick of it.

I'm quite convinced that everybody who lives in Southampton works in Portsmouth, and everybody who lives in Portsmouth works in Southampton :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I recall heading from Chicago O'Hare to Detroit at the same time of day :eek:

JB :)