Adriatic Ports - Shore Excursion Advice

walkerspt

Hi Everyone

We are on the Star Pride at the end of September and will be visiting Dubrovnik, Kotor, Split, and Rovinj. This is our first time in this area so I've been doing some research and I'm coming to the conclusion that we can pretty much see most things on our own, without a tour. However we usually do take tours and would not want to miss out. So I'd be very interested to hear opinions from those who have travelled to these ports before. Are there tours you have taken at any of these ports that were very informative, interesting or special in some way? If you did the ports on your own do you have any suggestions?

Thanks so much

I was just on that trip and it is great. In Rovinj I contacted Tours by Locals and Ana was our guide. She was great. I told her I loved medieval villages and art she proposed a drive into the country to visit the increcible village of Bale with a church with frescos, a medieval tower near by and the best of all a " Yogurt and Cheese " Tasting on a beautiful organic farm with an increcible new tasting facility. On this farm truffles are plentiful and the truffle chese was fantastic. As a matter of fact, this farm is creating a cheese for a Michelin three star chef in Paris. The yogurt was like nothing you have ever tasted served in Reidell glasses. The people were passionate for their products. I am gratefully well traveled, I love food culture and have been to umteen tastings this was by far the very best in all my travels. Ana also gave us a great tour of Rovinj up to the church. Increcible day, different, the Istria country side beautiful, highly recommend this tour if you like something different and very authentic. In Kotor we did the market with the chef which was delightful. We enjoyed the ship's event and folk music and dancing in Dubrovnik but not Dubrovnik it was mobbed with tourists. I would research the area and get out of there. Wonderful cruise Happy Sailing. If this interests you I can give you Ana's email etc you can email me. Let me know. Susanne

I was just on that trip and it is great. In Rovinj I contacted Tours by Locals and Ana was our guide. She was great. I told her I loved medieval villages and art she proposed a drive into the country to visit the increcible village of Bale with a church with frescos, a medieval tower near by and the best of all a " Yogurt and Cheese " Tasting on a beautiful organic farm with an increcible new tasting facility. On this farm truffles are plentiful and the truffle chese was fantastic. As a matter of fact, this farm is creating a cheese for a Michelin three star chef in Paris. The yogurt was like nothing you have ever tasted served in Reidell glasses. The people were passionate for their products. I am gratefully well traveled, I love food culture and have been to umteen tastings this was by far the very best in all my travels. Ana also gave us a great tour of Rovinj up to the church. Increcible day, different, the Istria country side beautiful, highly recommend this tour if you like something different and very authentic. In Kotor we did the market with the chef which was delightful. We enjoyed the ship's event and folk music and dancing in Dubrovnik but not Dubrovnik it was mobbed with tourists. I would research the area and get out of there. Wonderful cruise Happy Sailing. If this interests you I can give you Ana's email etc you can email me. Let me know. Susanne

This sounds very interesting. I'd be glad of more info if you could contact me at posluns@primus.ca

Thanks, Katy

We just got back from these ports in May. A couple of suggestions.

Kotor, we climbed up to the fort. Not easy but the view during the climb and especially from the top make it all worthwhile.

We had fun taking a cab out to Perast, boating to the island, and a public bus back to Kotor. Have lunch in Perast and spend a few minutes walking around town. No crowds, great views.

Rovinj. A neat town. Walk up to the church and down through the old town. Then stroll over to the small boat harbor, have lunch, and explore the back streets in the harbor area

• 4 weeks later...

We took the Athens to Venice trip and did not do excurions in Dubrovnik or Kotor. Both are great walking cities. We walked the walls in Dubrovnik and also took the cable car ride above Dubrovnik. If you are a Game of Thrones fan, there is plenty of opportunity to spot locations. I think there is also a Game of Thrones tours. There is an old Franciscan Church and medievel pharmacy that is very beautiful. We wandered around Kotor but whimped out on the climb up to the sanctuary. It is 1320 steps. I am sorry we did not do it, but it looked pretty tough. I found a couple of books on Amazon on Dubrovnik and Kotor. Had them on my Kindle which I stuffed in my back pack. https://www.amazon.com/Dubrovnik-City-Walk-2016-Palaces-ebook/dp/B00CYQDM08/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502732911&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=dubrovnikc+city+walks and https://www.amazon.com/KOTOR-OLD-TOWN-Kotor-Montenegro-ebook/dp/B00CXSR95Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1502733007&sr=1-1&keywords=kotor+old+town

We did the hike up to the fort in Kotor and although tough, it's worth the effort. I'm 74 and I made it so it's possible but if you try, hiking poles are a big help on the uneven steps.

A great side trip from Kotor is Perast. About a twenty minute cab or bus ride from Kotor. The bus was fun and VERY cheap. We got tired of waiting for the bus to Perast and took a cab out and the bus back. This is the kind of mini adventure that makes travel worthwhile