Buying or Reserving Tables in Compass Rose

Travelcat2

It has always been our understanding that those in the top suite(s) could secure a dinner reservation via their butler in any of the restaurants (including reserving a table in Compass Rose). However since we have never stayed in a top suite, I stand to be corrected.

Personally, I have no objection if this does occur.

Also I understood that the Maitre d' and head waiters would seek to accommodate special requests from any guest e.g. A large table for a special occasion.

Regarding tipping, pre-tipping or bribing to secure a table in Compass Rose, I have never witnessed this but it would be naive to think it never happens ............. hopefully a rare occurrence.

Unfortunately there are some people who, because of their national background and/or upbringing, believe that 'flashing the cash' is the only way to secure good service; and human nature means that staff will accept the money.

Thankfully the majority cruising on Regent realise that cash incentives are not required as Regent staff are trained to provide exemplary service to all guests.

However, some will continue to waste their money even though it doesn't actually secure anything extra above those of us who just use common courtesy and a friendly request.

Lots of knickers in lots of knots here over unnecessary tipping. Generally the best way to get a request honored on Regent is to ask for it and not behave like a jerk. No staffer is going to turn down money if offered' date=' but that doesn't mean that he or she did what was done to get that money. That table likely would have been provided anyway. If someone thinks passing money to get it is necessary, that's his wallet's issue, not ours.

And before people start screaming bribe again, let me remind all that that is essentially what a tip is. In cities where tipping the maitre d' is common, it is of course done up front--that is when the service is provided. When you leave a daily tip for the hotel housekeeper, you are giving it to her before the service is rendered. It's done.[/quote']

It is a bribe if a table is held by the window night after night on an Alaskan cruise. I saw it personally multiple times

It has always been our understanding that those in the top suite(s) could secure a dinner reservation via their butler in any of the restaurants (including reserving a table in Compass Rose). However since we have never stayed in a top suite, I stand to be corrected.

Personally, I have no objection if this does occur.

Also I understood that the Maitre d' and head waiters would seek to accommodate special requests from any guest e.g. A large table for a special occasion.

The policy whereby passengers in Regent, Master and Grand suites can dine in a speciality restaurant every night is new (and I do not like this policy nor do we dine in speciality restaurants any more than before the policy was put into place). There has never been a policy that permits reserving a specific table in a specialty restaurant and certainly not in Compass Rose. Our most recently experience with being in these suites was November, 2016 and March, 2017. Due to the nature of this thread, it must be said that we have never tried to bribe anyone to get a specific table (nor have we asked to have a "normal" table reserved for us).

In terms of the Maitre 'd accommodating special requests for large table, this does happen (referring to really large tables - not tables for 6 or 8).

IMO, whether you try to bribe someone or simply ask to reserve the same table every night - it is something that should be against Regent policy.

As I understand that Regent management reads these posts, I think we should all be heard. I too,am opposed to tables being reserved for the highest bidder. We never got a window table on our last cruise although I have to admit we never specifically asked for one. Next cruise, I will ask, and if we are denied I will check to see if any are vacant. I would prefer that management simply makes the statement that this is against company policy and that it will not be tolerated.

Not sure whats so important about a window table at dinner---It's dark outside and what do you see. I just won't sit at a table that is next to a waiter station. I've only had that happen once and I just no thanks, I'll eat someplace else tonight.

Not sure whats so important about a window table at dinner---It's dark outside and what do you see. I just won't sit at a table that is next to a waiter station. I've only had that happen once and I just no thanks, I'll eat someplace else tonight.

My last cruise was in the Baltic during summer solstice. Trust me, there was plenty of light. You make a good point though. The next cruise will be September and might not be quite as bright so the window table might not be so important.

My last cruise was in the Baltic during summer solstice. Trust me, there was plenty of light. You make a good point though. The next cruise will be September and might not be quite as bright so the window table might not be so important.

Agree with you but people can be strange and want a window seat even if they are looking at black space. Actually, the tables that are one row in from the window seat are, IMO, best since both of you can face out and either look at the sea or blackness. On the other hand, they can be the worst seats if the sun is going down during dinner. Wearing sunglasses at dinner is not my favorite thing to do. And, if you ask for the shade to be lowered, someone will likely complain. Regent cruisers can definitely be grumpy!

I am coming to this discussion quite late, as we've been on a cruise (on a competing line which, as far as we can detect, does not allow bribes for good tables). However, it is difficult, even appalling, to read some of the comments on this thread which suggest that giving tips/bribes for good tables is acceptable. I do recall a post from one of the posters on this thread some time ago stating that her DH gave various members of the ship's crew very generous tips in advance in order to obtain better service. Yikes!!

Like a number of the posters on this thread, I would sincerely hope that Regent would summarily dismiss/can/dump/keelhawl any maître d' or head waiter who would accept a "magic handshake" in exchange for a table of choice. As mariners suggested, a smile, a genuine expression of gratitude, or a modest request for a certain table would be entirely kosher and would usually be quite effective. Ah, but tossing (or slipping) gelt to the crew members who assign tables is quite another thing and quite a revolting thing indeed.

I did send a note to Regent to clarify the policy but won't hear back until next week. I think it would be good for them to hear the feedback from their customers.

TC -- have you received a response yet?

I am coming to this discussion quite late, as we've been on a cruise (on a competing line which, as far as we can detect, does not allow bribes for good tables). However, it is difficult, even appalling, to read some of the comments on this thread which suggest that giving tips/bribes for good tables is acceptable. I do recall a post from one of the posters on this thread some time ago stating that her DH gave various members of the ship's crew very generous tips in advance in order to obtain better service. Yikes!!

Like a number of the posters on this thread, I would sincerely hope that Regent would summarily dismiss/can/dump/keelhawl any maître d' or head waiter who would accept a "magic handshake" in exchange for a table of choice. As mariners suggested, a smile, a genuine expression of gratitude, or a modest request for a certain table would be entirely kosher and would usually be quite effective. Ah, but tossing (or slipping) gelt to the crew members who assign tables is quite another thing and quite a revolting thing indeed.

I kept meaning to post in this thread. I'm glad I waited. Fred has stated my opinion much better than I ever could. Thanks!

The policy whereby passengers in Regent, Master and Grand suites can dine in a speciality restaurant every night is new (and I do not like this policy nor do we dine in speciality restaurants any more than before the policy was put into place.

If occupants of those suites can't get that and other small perks considering what they are paying for the cruise, we feel the incentive to book such suites will be diminished. Silly (but true) what a few "extras" (even though they have paid dearly for them up front) can accomplish.

Also late to this Thread. Almost every nuance has already been explored. Our experience on all Regent (and before, Radisson) ships has been no greasing of palms to obtain "special treatment" concerning Compass Rose, or other specialty restaurant seating. A simple acknowledgment of good service and a smile following dinner is the professional response. It pays dividends. It also makes sense to show up on the early side at CR.

We have never had a problem in obtaining two, or three, additional opportunities for visits to specialty restaurants. This was done by simply asking a dining room manager (or, on "Explorer", that special desk). The longer the cruise segment, the better the chances, after everyone has had the opportunity.

No bribes; no envelopes. With one exception--which is that envelope we leave at the Front Desk at the end of every cruise specifically addressed to the Crew Fund.

GOARMY!

Outrage is appropriate for abusive behavior. People who don't know the etiquette of a situation at worst commit a faux pas, and crew members on the receiving end are in an awkward situation.

How about if we all just agree to behave well toward staff and crew (and toward one another), and let the rest sort itself out?

Slightly different, but similar - on our last Regent TA on the Mariner an English couple (who apparently had been on board on the previous Caribbean cruise) reserved a table on the pool deck each lunchtime. Several of us noticed this (Mr Rumor will remember I am sure!) These two showed up slightly before the lunch service started, occupied "their" table and proceeded to drink their way through two bottles of wine each day. This was the first and only time I have seen a table reserved on the pool deck... and I have to say I didn't like it much.

If occupants of those suites can't get that and other small perks considering what they are paying for the cruise, we feel the incentive to book such suites will be diminished. Silly (but true) what a few "extras" (even though they have paid dearly for them up front) can accomplish.

How true, I agree 100%.

To add clarity to this thread, I can confirm we do not allow dining tables to be reserved. This has been our longstanding policy and it has not changed. Groups are also not permitted to reserve tables and are encouraged to arrive early in effort to be seated close together. Select physical conditions or limitations often require additional consideration otherwise and we will accommodate appropriately.

Many guests do arrive early to Compass Rose to be seated by the windows and when they are available.

Additionally, our dining room team attempts to seat guests in the same area or within the same wait staff's area when possible in order to allow a more consistent level of personal experience. When the dining room is busier, sometimes this not always possible.

I plan to print a copy of the above comment and take it onboard with me. Hopefully I will never have to show it but better than letting a reserved table bother me. If I had a different personality I wouldn't be bothered by the reserved table but I am what I am.

To add clarity to this thread, I can confirm we do not allow dining tables to be reserved. This has been our longstanding policy and it has not changed. Groups are also not permitted to reserve tables and are encouraged to arrive early in effort to be seated close together. Select physical conditions or limitations often require additional consideration otherwise and we will accommodate appropriately.

Many guests do arrive early to Compass Rose to be seated by the windows and when they are available.

Additionally, our dining room team attempts to seat guests in the same area or within the same wait staff's area when possible in order to allow a more consistent level of personal experience. When the dining room is busier, sometimes this not always possible.

Thank you sir. That is what I was hoping to hear from you.

Slightly different, but similar - on our last Regent TA on the Mariner an English couple (who apparently had been on board on the previous Caribbean cruise) reserved a table on the pool deck each lunchtime. Several of us noticed this (Mr Rumor will remember I am sure!) These two showed up slightly before the lunch service started, occupied "their" table and proceeded to drink their way through two bottles of wine each day. This was the first and only time I have seen a table reserved on the pool deck... and I have to say I didn't like it much.

Did you ever get up there before them and just take the table? I know when I want a particular table or seat in a lounge or a theater I might show up 30 minutes early. Nothing reserved; just prefer a specific location and willing to devote my spare time to getting that one seat I like.

Marc

I plan to print a copy of the above comment and take it onboard with me. Hopefully I will never have to show it but better than letting a reserved table bother me. If I had a different personality I wouldn't be bothered by the reserved table but I am what I am.

I like your idea.

Regent re-stating it's policy is one thing; adhering to it is another.

Occupying a table is not the same as reserving it (either by bribing staff in CR or leaving unattended books/bags on a table at Pool Grill)

It may be annoying but if the couple were using the table, even just for drinking, then I cannot see that there is a valid objection.