Will current attack in Barcelona stop people from cruising there?

Phillygirl3

Hi Mary, I know South Beach from the old days, I graduated Beach High in 1963 my friends and I used to go to the dog track a couple of times a week, back then South Beach was an area of run down low cost senior retirement hotels and pretty much no tourist, it's amazing what happened, now it's a world class tourist destination!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Greetings, goldenrod, from the new South Beach. From beginnings as a crime ridden, dangerous slum, it is now a beautiful neighborhood, loaded with amenities. A very popular restaurant, Joe's Stone Crab, is across the street. We are so close to Terminal J that we get there in less than half an hour. When we drive to the mainland, Miami, we sometimes see Regent ships moored there. We also like Oceania because we discovered them in 2004. They dock at J when Regent isn't in

We depart on December 8th for 12 days in the Caribbean on Explorer. Travelcat2 mentions her kitties as an impediment to travel. I certainly can second those feelings. As I type this post, my four pound Chihuahua is cuddled under a blanky on my lap. My other Chihuahua is napping on my pillow in the bedroom. When we travel, we board them with a vet who saved the older one's life. Just recently, the same vet helped our younger one recover from a serious infection. Together these two weigh less than 11 pounds. They are small.

Maybe we will meet one day on a cruise. At the moment, I have my eye on a March 9th, 2019 Explorer trans Panama Canal from Los Angeles to Miami. That day happens to be my birthday, and our wedding anniversary. Very appealing. There is also a nice cruise on Oceania's Riviera in the same time slot. We celebrated a similar anniversary birthday/anniversary on Riviera in La Reserve. Lovely evening. Enjoy the Eclipse tomorrow, even if you can't see it. I will because I am nowhere near the epic traffic jams that are building already.

Mary

I was finishing my worst ever marathon finish in Boston when a bomb when off and a policeman pushed me off the course. My bad time meant nothing after that though. To this day, I still have ringing in my ears and get a bit jittery.

This weekend in Amsterdam there was a small wedding celebration in an adorable alley and they finished with firecrackers and confetti. I literally jumped on top of my son because my first reaction was "terrorist attack."

I will never ever forget what we went through on Patriots Day in 2013, but it surely won't stop me from traveling. Heck, the Boston Marathon was MY marathon ( I had run it over 10x) and in my own country. It can happen anywhere, anytime.

Of course, we will be smart and aware wherever we go.

Thanks to all who sent their heart felt responses to my initiated thread. Your words of wisdom indicates that we will not let terrorism define out lives. My husband and I are looking forward to this cruise, just as we did many many years ago when we cruised to Istanbul right after a bomb went off in the Grand Bazaar. My husband said that we can not live in a vacuum! Best wishes to all of you and in your future travels!

Thanks to all who sent their heart felt responses to my initiated thread. Your words of wisdom indicates that we will not let terrorism define out lives. My husband and I are looking forward to this cruise, just as we did many many years ago when we cruised to Istanbul right after a bomb went off in the Grand Bazaar. My husband said that we can not live in a vacuum! Best wishes to all of you and in your future travels!

Thank you for starting this thread. Regent cruisers are tough and have hearts of gold. I will never give up hoping and praying that one day there will be peace in the world!

Thank you for starting this thread. Regent cruisers are tough and have hearts of gold. I will never give up hoping and praying that one day there will be peace in the world!

Hi Travelcat2 I'd like to pick your brain about Cape Town, you said it's one of your favorite places, we will be there 3 days post cruise on Regent we are thinking of staying longer and would like suggestions as to what to do.

Thanks

Hi Travelcat2 I'd like to pick your brain about Cape Town, you said it's one of your favorite places, we will be there 3 days post cruise on Regent we are thinking of staying longer and would like suggestions as to what to do.

Thanks

We lived in Cape Town for a couple of years. There is so much to do as it is a very cosmopolitan city and great people. You are surrounded with so many restaurants and shops with time for exploring. Instead of me writing a long dissertation, here is a highlight of what you might consider.

https://travel.usnews.com/Cape_Town_South_Africa/Things_To_Do/

Thanks

We have been there twice and love it. Since our flight arrived early in the day and we couldn't check into our hotel, we had a private tour guide (not expensive) pick us up and drive towards Cape Point. We didn't make it all the way there because of time but stopped where the penguins are (really interesting to see penguins in that climate). The scenery on the way was stunning!

Once we checked into our hotel we went to the area V & A Market on the wharf. There are tons of shops and restaurants -- a lovely place to just hang out for a while when you are tired. We found good restaurants both times that we were there (if I remember the names, I'll post later). The prices were good (they do not accept U.S. dollars but do accept credit cards) and the prices were quite good.

We only had a one day pre-cruiseboth times (the second time we spent the night and then took off for a Regent safari (which was over the top wonderful). On our first visit, Regent overnighted in Cape Town and we went to wine country (Stellenbosch) and did some wine tasting (Regent tour). Since you won't be with Regent before the cruise, I recommend looking at the tours offered by Viator. While we did not use them in Cape Town, we have used them in other parts of the world.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

Glad you will go forward with the cruise. When we let terrorism change who we are (including where we travel) it only encourages its spread.

May you and your husband have an absolutely wonderful cruise and make memories which will last a lifetime.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, you're statistically more likely to get hurt or killed on your way to the airport than when you're on vacation. I've been close to some riots/bombings/natural disasters in my time on this earth and I've developed a kind of "when it's your time, it's your time" attitude. I have no problems going to Barcelona, or Paris, or Istanbul, or Moscow, or Jerusalem. I kind of draw the line at some of the more volatile hotspots. We all have our risk tolerance levels. But the fact is, life is dangerous. No one gets out alive. :)

Well said, I was at the scene of one attack 24 hours beforehand and was walking Las Ramblas 10 days before this attack. The world has changed and not for the better.

Victoria and I share the same feeling. We will be there in March 2018.

I was there on Voyager on August 25th. After the morning tours, which operated normally, a few of us walked up from the dock to the Ramblas to the memorial to pay our respects. It was moving and necessary. Fear should not control us.

I was there on Voyager on August 25th. After the morning tours, which operated normally, a few of us walked up from the dock to the Ramblas to the memorial to pay our respects. It was moving and necessary. Fear should not control us.

What a lovely post and how kind it was of you to pay your respects! Agree 100% that fear should not control us.