Norway on Explorer or Azamara Journey--trying to compare

I'm looking at two Norway trips in summer 2018. One on Explorer, the other on Az Journey.

I realize that the cabins on Journey are smaller, although we did a CC suite that was quite large. Then there's the included Biz air on Regent, which is very attractive. And the timing, Regent starts in late June, Azamara in late July: the former would be preferable for me I think, although husband may beg to differ. We'd have to look at stateroom options on Explorer and compare apples to apples on the two ships. We did really enjoy Journey and the ambience of the ship and passengers.

But I'm mainly looking at the two itineraries, which are quite different. For those who have done a Norwegian fjords trip, which looks better. I've indicated a few obvious differences:

JUN 24 SUN COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

JUN 25 MON KRISTIANSAND, NORWAY

JUN 26 TUE BERGEN, NORWAY

JUN 27 WED CRUISING THE NORTH SEA

JUN 28 THU HARSTAD, NORWAY

JUN 29 FRI BODO, NORWAY

JUN 30 SAT CRUISING THE NORWEGIAN SEA

JUL 1 SUN ÅLESUND, NORWAY

JUL 2 MON GEIRANGER, NORWAY

JUL 2 MON HELLESYLT, NORWAY

JUL 3 TUE FLÅM, NORWAY

JUL 4 WED HAUGESUND, NORWAY

JUL 5 THU GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN

JUL 6 FRI OSLO, NORWAY

(Goes from Bergen all the way up to Harstad, but not all the way to Tromso or North Cape. Then works its way down. Includes Alesund which the other doesn't, lovely town.)

24-JUL Leith (Edinburgh), Scotland

25-JUL Leith (Edinburgh), Scotland

26-JUL At Sea Cruising

27-JUL Bergen, Norway

28-JUL Flam, Norway

28-JUL Gudvangen, Norway

29-JUL Geiranger, Norway

30-JUL At Sea Cruising

31-JUL Svolvaer, Lofoten Islands, Norway

31-JUL Trollfjord - Norway

1-AUG Tromso, Norway

2-AUG Honningsvag, Norway

3-AUG At Sea Cruising

4-AUG At Sea Cruising

5-AUG Olden, Norway

6-AUG Haugesund, Norway

7-AUG Skagen, Denmark

WED 8-AUG Copenhagen, Denmark

(Starts in Edinburgh which is a bonus, goes all the way to Tromso, Honnigsvag (i.e., North Cape and to the Lofoten Islands, although R goes to Harstad. May includes more fjords? No Alesund.)

Any opinions? (Oh, and the Regent cruise is shorter by a couple of days I think.)

Did the Azamara cruise on Azamara Quest last year and strongly recommend the more northern itinerary. We both loved the more northern ports that you would miss on Explorer. Rented cars in two ports and found another couple to share. Svolvear Islands and Honningsvaag. Loved driving out to Svolear Islands and was able to stop where we wanted and saw much more than any single tour would have shown. Hertz is about 25 yards from the tender dropoff. In Honningsvaag, tours are extremely expensive and expect Regent would make all the things we saw extra cost. We were able to do the Bird Island cruise, and the North Cape on our own schedule. Saw reindeer aplenty along the road and was able to stop and take pictures as we chose. At one point there were many reindeer along the road and with almost no traffic, stopped in the middle of the road, dropped the windows and everyone watched and took pictures.

As to the much touted King Crab tour. There is a restaurant in town, walking distance from the ship after dropping off the car where we were able to dine on excellent king crab and much much less expensive than the tour price. Called the King Crab House and our dinner for two ended up about $75 us where the tour to pull up the crab pots and then eat was about $300 pp

And, yes more beautiful fjords and Troll Fjord was amazing. Captain turned the ship 360 degrees and the fjord was just a little wider than the ship was long. No ands, if's or buts, Azamara all the way!!!!!

While we haven't been to Norway so can't answer as to the ports, we have been on both Azamara and Regent several times and have had similar experiences to rallydave's in the fjord. On an Azamara cruise in the Caribbean and then again in Europe, different captains have made special turns of the ship, etc. to further enhance the experience. No guarantees of course, just an observation. We personally enjoy both lines.

A word (or two or three) about the crab tours...... IMO, there is no comparison between eating crag in a restaurant and almost flying across the water in a rubber boat "thingie" (you sit on it as you would sit on a horse) to an area where a huge tent is set up ....... you watch the crabs being prepared for cooking (didn't watch that part due to my sensitivity to anything being killed), and then the crabs are put into a HUGE pot inside of the tent - quickly rinsed in cold sea water to stop the cooking and then served. You sit in the tent on an animal skin -- the fire keeps you warm It was our favorite excursion (and cruise) to date and worth every penny.

Wendy, only you can compare today's Regent (not Regent of a few years ago) and Azamara. I have not heard anything negative about Azamara but, for us, there is no choice. Some of their included excursions in this area are wonderful. In terms of the Explorer, I have no doubt that you would really enjoy the suites - much roomier than on Regent's other ships and have larger balconies.

Whatever you decide upon, it would be a wonderful cruise!

Thanks all, good advice so far! TC, I would be definitely going for the destination, not the ship. The Explorer would be a nice side-benefit, and good on sea days. And of course, the included excursions...but Rally makes a good point about renting cars and getting off on your own. I'll have to think on it some more.

Wendy, BTW I'm married to one, this is a no brainer if you are going for the itinerary. You can't go to the fjords without the North Cape. The excursion takes you through Lap territory with the reindeer etc. We did the cruise on Silver Wind and loved it. Hate to vote against Regent, but AZ is the choice.

Are yet to sail on Regent (this June) but we did Az Quest in 2013...Norwegian Fjords. Was and still is my most favourite cruise. North Cape is a Must See and Trollfjord!!!

I would redo that cruise in a heartbeat!!!!!!!! Personal choice but itinerary over ship any day. Wish me luck with Navigator in June as we chose itinerary over ship...oops.....

Wendy, you may remember from some of my own posts that I've been eager to do a Norway/fjords kind of trip as well. (I know that you did a land jaunt of some sort up thataway a while ago, and liked it very much.) I assume that you've looked at the somewhat similar Navigator 2018 cruise? A number of people appear to have chosen that one. There's already a roll call going, if I'm remembering correctly.

I know that you've spoken well of Azamara, and I wish I could include it in my thinking. I don't believe we'd at all mind smaller cabins, but I know that we wouldn't enjoy the smaller beds. (Oh, you've heard this before?) Also, while what people say about arranging their own excursions being a great way to go makes sense, our initiative/energy at this point pretty much precludes that way of going.

But here's another problem for us: I have no great desire to sail on Explorer. Everything I've read/seen tells me that we'd enjoy it less than Mariner and Voyager. The whole super-luxury showy razzmatazz is not a turn-on for us; au contraire. At the same time, Explorer is Regent, and we've loved that experience for a good many years. If I felt we could afford it, sure, I'd jump at the opportunity to do that June 24 cruise, especially as it includes business air, without which my husband can't travel anymore.

I'll be interested to hear how your weighing progresses. If you decide to do the Explorer itinerary, maybe I'd be encouraged to bite the bullet and sign on as well. Now wouldn't that be jolly.

Wendy, you may remember from some of my own posts that I've been eager to do a Norway/fjords kind of trip as well. (I know that you did a land jaunt of some sort up thataway a while ago, and liked it very much.) I assume that you've looked at the somewhat similar Navigator 2018 cruise? A number of people appear to have chosen that one. There's already a roll call going, if I'm remembering correctly.

I know that you've spoken well of Azamara, and I wish I could include it in my thinking. I don't believe we'd at all mind smaller cabins, but I know that we wouldn't enjoy the smaller beds. (Oh, you've heard this before?) Also, while what people say about arranging their own excursions being a great way to go makes sense, our initiative/energy at this point pretty much precludes that way of going.

But here's another problem for us: I have no great desire to sail on Explorer. Everything I've read/seen tells me that we'd enjoy it less than Mariner and Voyager. The whole super-luxury showy razzmatazz is not a turn-on for us; au contraire. At the same time, Explorer is Regent, and we've loved that experience for a good many years. If I felt we could afford it, sure, I'd jump at the opportunity to do that June 24 cruise, especially as it includes business air, without which my husband can't travel anymore.

I'll be interested to hear how your weighing progresses. If you decide to do the Explorer itinerary, maybe I'd be encouraged to bite the bullet and sign on as well. Now wouldn't that be jolly.

Hi poss -- just want to share with you that everything in Norway is very expensive. IMO, anything that you can do to avoid spending $$$ in Norway is a good thing. This is why Regent makes sense to me. Having said that, I have absolutely no idea how much Azamara charges for excursions because Azamara is not and will not be on our radar (because they use the same old ships that Oceania uses and they just will not work for us -- kind of like the Explorer will not work for you).

While itinerary is important, comfortability and the bottom line cost is as well. In terms of the Explorer, I suspect that you would enjoy it more than you think that you would. As I've said before, if you discount the "luxury" and look only at comfortability and food, it is hard to beat the Explorer. On the other hand, if super nice crew members make you happy, that is what Azamara is known for.

Everyone has certain things that are not negotiable. For you it is beds and for us it is the size of the suite, food and service. IMO, Regent ticks all of those boxes and Azamara would not - even if we were booked in the most expensive suite. (Note: Even Oceania doesn't meet the high bar that we set for cruise lines - not even in a huge suite).

And just to make it harder.... I was looking at Norway in 2018 including the North Cape. I also found 2 SilverSea, 1 Oceana, 1 Seabourn, and several Princess options.

Interesting, in terms of itinerary, we have found Silversea a good option to Regent (have sailed Silversea three times).

And just to make it harder.... I was looking at Norway in 2018 including the North Cape. I also found 2 SilverSea, 1 Oceana, 1 Seabourn, and several Princess options.

We did the 14 day Fjord cruise to the North Cape last June with Silversea on the Whisper. We loved it. The ship was small enough to dock in all ports on the itinerary. Even though we paid for tours, our OBC covered everything. Definitely recommend Silversea.

Hi Poss,

(BTW, I was in Norway in 1976. I spent a few days with my mother and a friend of hers travelling by train and car around Norway as far as Lillehammer, Geiranger and Alesund, and also spent time in Oslo.)

Yes I remember your musings from the past. And the issue with the bed. I believe I measured a bed for you at some point, did I not? Was that on Journey? Can't recall. Friends we made on Mariner were complaining that their beds were mere queens instead of kings. Our standard bed seemed plenty big, although it was a handicapped room so who knows, maybe it was bigger. The reason I say this is that if you were happy with beds on Mariner, you'd probably be happy on Azamara Journey or Quest. But a good TA should be able to get you that info. They do *call* the beds Queens, at least in the standard balcony cabin. We actually prefer a queen, a king is too big for us.

I too have little desire to sail on Explorer. Especially on a port-intensive trip like this one where the ship matters little. Having just had 18 days on Mariner I have "had it" with luxury cruise food, so as long as it's pleasant I don't care, and Journey's was more than pleasant.

We also looked at a standard balcony cabin on Journey and decided that we could cope with that cabin, if we ever sailed the line again, rather than the Club Continent Suite that we had. So the price differential would get pretty eye-popping.

The business deal is the kicker, and the included excursions, since Jackie is right, everything is incredibly expensive there. We took several Azamara excursions and they were definitely NOT cheap. Unfortunately Az pax do not do as much sharing of private excursions through the roll-calls, like Oceania folk. Then again, they have so many repeat and multiple-cruise pax that perhaps these people organize them privately among themselves. So this would be a downside.

We will fly Premium Economy, but prefer Business when we can get it (although flying back on AA from Ecuador was more like PE that Biz--like domestic first.)

Mainly looking at the itinerary--the Az one definitely looks better.

I'm going to have to price them both out I think. Does anyone have a negative opinion about the minimal balcony cabin on Explorer, other than the small size? It's bigger than the standard cabin on Journey.

I'm going to have to price them both out I think. Does anyone have a negative opinion about the minimal balcony cabin on Explorer, other than the small size? It's bigger than the standard cabin on Journey.

Which "minimal balcony cabin" on the Explorer are you referring to?

The real question here is which is more important to you, the ship or the itinerary? If the former go with the Explorer. if the latter go with the Journey.

It's definitely the itinerary. But that issue of included excursions and business air tilts in Regent's direction.

Did the Azamara cruise on Azamara Quest last year and strongly recommend the more northern itinerary. We both loved the more northern ports that you would miss on Explorer. Rented cars in two ports and found another couple to share. Svolvear Islands and Honningsvaag. Loved driving out to Svolear Islands and was able to stop where we wanted and saw much more than any single tour would have shown. Hertz is about 25 yards from the tender dropoff. In Honningsvaag, tours are extremely expensive and expect Regent would make all the things we saw extra cost. We were able to do the Bird Island cruise, and the North Cape on our own schedule. Saw reindeer aplenty along the road and was able to stop and take pictures as we chose. At one point there were many reindeer along the road and with almost no traffic, stopped in the middle of the road, dropped the windows and everyone watched and took pictures.

As to the much touted King Crab tour. There is a restaurant in town, walking distance from the ship after dropping off the car where we were able to dine on excellent king crab and much much less expensive than the tour price. Called the King Crab House and our dinner for two ended up about $75 us where the tour to pull up the crab pots and then eat was about $300 pp

And, yes more beautiful fjords and Troll Fjord was amazing. Captain turned the ship 360 degrees and the fjord was just a little wider than the ship was long. No ands, if's or buts, Azamara all the way!!!!!

Rally, did you do any ship's tours? Do you remember if the tour listings were all dreadfully expensive like the crab tour?

Rally, did you do any ship's tours? Do you remember if the tour listings were all dreadfully expensive like the crab tour?

Hi Wendy, Been following this thread with interest. We did only one ships tour and that was because I tried to do a private tour but, with the town of Flam being so small, the responses were that they were tied up with the ships tours. We did the Flam railroad then continuing to meet the ship in Gudvangen. You have to know that Gudvangen is only a ship stop to pick up the people from the Flam all day railroad and bus trip which was $299 pp. We had a great roll call for our Azamara Norway cruise and every other port we did private tours or rented cars in two locales. You might want to go back and read our rollcall from Aug 2016 as pretty current. Would also be glad if you would send me your e-mail and I can both explain further to avoid being "off-topic" and also send you our spread sheet with what we did in each of our ports and approx cost. Assume tours are already posted for next year so you can compare prices or let me know which ones and I can give you an idea of ours from memory Yes, Norway is expensive but, reasonable compared to Iceland. Did not think the Azamara excursions were that overpriced compared to what we ended up paying and have found Regent to be more expensive for the extra cost tours. Even though we were in Honningsvaag until 10 PM, still light could only do one ships tours and with the car we were able to do two complete, Bird Safari and North Cape plus stop for the wildlife and then dinner in town with really fresh crab and really reasonable prices for Norway. Had we done the ships crab fest, that would have been it and over $600 per couple more. Don't believe a ride on a RIB boat and sitting on a skin eating my crab is worth over $600 plus we got the other stuff. Car rentals were in the range of about $100 plus or minus for the day so dividing that by 4 if you go with another couple plus diesel and then the entry fees and adding up the ships 3 tours that we actually did, would have been about $800 pp. We$350 total for the two of us with the other couple; would have been a bit more without the other couple. Roads are very good and easy to find what we wanted and almost everyone does speak English so no problems there. Just let me know if you want the spread sheet and possibly talk. Thanks,

Wendy I have also been looking at the Explorer cruise, it's been on our radar for a few years but never got round to it yet. I have to say I find the cruise price more expensive than I would like, but it has always been an expensive itinerary.

Our first Explorer cruise will be this May. To be honest I am going to wait until we are onboard and actually see how we fell about the ship before we take the plunge for next year. I don't feel as enthusiastic as I usually do when going on Mariner for some reason, and I will reserve judgment until we sail on Explorer. For us I would agree itinerary comes before ship.

Will be keen to hear what decision you make. Jean.

Tc: Wendy must be referring to the G's and H, no?

Your post sent me on quite a journey (pun intended). While I know very little about Azamara, I checked out the smallest suite on the Journey and the balcony was 60 square feet. The suite itself was slightly larger than the "H" suite on the Explorer.

The Explorer balconies on their smallest suites were interesting. Both the "G1" and "H" suites have an 88 sq. ft. balcony. However, the "G2" suites have balconies that run from 55 sq. ft. to 1098 sq. ft. so it would behoove anyone considering a "G" category suite to check with their TA so that they know what they are booking.

Note: I know that this thread has a few people that are not interested in the Explorer, but for others, I would not recommend either the "G" or "H" category suites but highly recommend the "F" category. And, whomever has not sailed Regent since the debut of the Explorer and/or the refurbishment of the Voyager and Navigator will find Regent to be a different product than it was even a year ago. Wendy, as you know, although the Mariner is yet to be refurbished, and you sailed on her very recently, it now has the new and very different CR menu which just about 100% of Regent passengers like.

P.S. Obviously, most of us pay for the expensive excursions with OBC's which is a savings over any restaurant in Scandinavia.

Tc: Wendy must be referring to the G's and H, no?

Thanks Poss, and to TC, poss is right--I'm trying to compare apples to apples here. (BTW, I looked at the Navigator trip--too long and expensive, and frankly not sure about Nav on such a trip.)

Surely if we could cope with Club Veranda stateroom on Journey (175sqft/40sqft veranda), we could cope with an H or a G2 on Explorer (H 219/88, G2 253/55-108).

I will let everyone know when I've made some more concrete comparisons.

P.S. Obviously, most of us pay for the expensive excursions with OBC's which is a savings over any restaurant in Scandinavia.

Well perhaps that's not obvious to me. We did have generous OBC's on our recent Mariner trip, but that has not been the norm for us on Regent in the past. Do people now routinely expect large OBCs?