QM2 replacement thoughts

omah1975

I realise it's quite a long way off yet but I've been watching a few Youtube videos of QM2 lately and one that I saw (I'm not sure when it was from) mentioned that she will only sail for another 37 years. I know this is partly due to the problems with the vibrations from the Mermaid pods which have apparently taken 10 years off the life of the hull so I started this thread as I'd be interested in what people think might happen to her and what her replacement (assuming there will be one) will be like and what sort of things you would like to see on board as regards facilities and such like and also what name do you think it should have. If there's already a similar thread to this already then I'm quite happy for this one to be deleted if someone will point me in the direction of an existing thread.

Thanks.

I have lost count of how many times, I was told QE2 would be the last ocean liner, then along came QM2.

How about Queen Ann for a name. Although I expect to keep the tradition of liner names, Queen Elizabeth will be used. The existing ship is likely to have been retired by then.

So long as there is a ball room, a good theatre (better than on QM2) and a separate cinema I will be happy.

I wonder what new technologies will be available by then ? She will probably run on some exotic fuel.

I think she would probably be either Mary or Elizabeth, I would think they would want to keep the classic names alive.

I wonder what new technologies will be available by then ? She will probably run on some exotic fuel.

I think she would probably be either Mary or Elizabeth, I would think they would want to keep the classic names alive.

Or QE2 II. Seriously though, at this stage of QE2's life they were predicting doom and gloom. A few years on the huge re engine refit took place. You just never know what will happen with ships. :cool:

I'd like to see much better use use of whatever technologies are available in the future to enhance guests' onboard experience. Right now, I'd love Cunard to develop an app to complement and build on the printed daily programme, which would include stuff like a deck plan, restaurant menus and access to onboard accounts. However, I'd also want the classic features of a Cunard ship such as a wraparound promenade deck and the Commodore Club to be retained. In short, marrying the best Cunard traditions with some modern approaches to customer service.

I'd like to see much better use use of whatever technologies are available in the future to enhance guests' onboard experience. Right now, I'd love Cunard to develop an app to complement and build on the printed daily programme, which would include stuff like a deck plan, restaurant menus and access to onboard accounts. However, I'd also want the classic features of a Cunard ship such as a wraparound promenade deck and the Commodore Club to be retained. In short, marrying the best Cunard traditions with some modern approaches to customer service.

On our recent Pacific Princess cruise we had exactly that, along with a messaging service to contact fellow guests.

Very useful :)

I seriously dout that the QM2 is sailing that long for Cunard Line- so I look forward to ramble around the QM3, then QM4 eventually. After 20+ years the cruise lines usually get rid of their older ships! Brand them out or sell them - I have hear of ships sold to Dubai to rot there until it is time to ship them to Alang to the breakers- which will happen sooner or later! Against alls crys against doing so!

I seriously dout that the QM2 is sailing that long for Cunard Line- so I look forward to ramble around the QM3, then QM4 eventually. After 20+ years the cruise lines usually get rid of their older ships! Brand them out or sell them - I have hear of ships sold to Dubai to rot there until it is time to ship them to Alang to the breakers- which will happen sooner or later! Against alls crys against doing so!

Alang in twenty years ? Not the breakers, more the death zone, unless something changes.

Edited by Salacia

I wouldn't be surprised if most ships are fully electric by then, either from solar or wave power. One feature I would like to see would be the virtual balcony that is on some Royal Caribbean vessels. I'm in a wheelchair and the very first cruise I took was a westbound transatlantic crossing on the QM2 and we had a cabin with a porthole and I couldn't really see out of it so every cruise since then we have booked an inside cabin (mostly to save money to be honest). A couple of years ago we went on the Anthem Of The Seas and thought the virtual balcony was one of her best features.

I doubt that it will be a custom one off like QM2. It will probably be a standard design as is shared among Carnival companies now.

I remember when Arcadia was announced, the cries of horror at such a big ship, and now she is nearly tiddler compared to the latest giants. So Queen (place your bets here!) will be a 250,0000 tonne 10,000 passenger ship, probably driven by hydrogen engines or solar panels!

At the risk of being thrown of this board, I have to say we have only had a day visit on QM2, and did not like it at all! Much prefer the QE and the Vista size of ship.

In 34 years time Queen Katherine will be 69 and Pricess Charlotte 36, Camilla will be well over 100 and very much a yesterdays royal.

So how does RMS Katherine sound. All assuming that the present cruise boom continues,

David.

I don't even fancy P&O's new ship due in 2020, weighing in at 180,000 tonne and 5200 passengers. Wonder how they will fill it, as it is reported an the P&O forum they are not even sailing full ships at the moment! With the uncertainty of Brexit already having an economic effect, who knows what it will be like by then?

In 34 years time Queen Katherine will be 69 and Pricess Charlotte 36, Camilla will be well over 100 and very much a yesterdays royal.

So how does RMS Katherine sound. All assuming that the present cruise boom continues,

David.

Queen Catherine, actually. Don't know why she goes by Kate and not, say, Cate.

That could be one of the issues, the various different spellings of K/Cathe/ari/yn/e !

There is a boat in Cardiff called the Princess Katharine, I am not sure who it's named for but it's definitely the best spelling [emoji2]

I doubt that it will be a custom one off like QM2. It will probably be a standard design as is shared among Carnival companies now.

I remember when Arcadia was announced, the cries of horror at such a big ship, and now she is nearly tiddler compared to the latest giants. So Queen (place your bets here!) will be a 250,0000 tonne 10,000 passenger ship, probably driven by hydrogen engines or solar panels!

At the risk of being thrown of this board, I have to say we have only had a day visit on QM2, and did not like it at all! Much prefer the QE and the Vista size of ship.

Good. Why don't you spend time on the QE in moderately rough seas. We were on the QV in moderate chop & we were tossing & turning. Richard & I had to help guide some pax along the walls of the corridors to avoid them falling over. Never had that on the QM2 no matter how rough.

Good. Why don't you spend time on the QE in moderately rough seas. We were on the QV in moderate chop & we were tossing & turning. Richard & I had to help guide some pax along the walls of the corridors to avoid them falling over. Never had that on the QM2 no matter how rough.

Prior to sailing on QE we have sailed on P&O Arcadia ( The same class as QE) for 113 days and 7 return trips across the BoB and never had that problem. We are on QE again in late November across the bay, so if we have a rough trip, I might change my mind!

Never had that on the QM2 no matter how rough.

You've been lucky then.

(Big box) TVs thrown to the floor in cabins. Some of the bars looking like a war zone with hundreds of broken bottles. Smashed windows on decks seven, twelve and thirteen. Balcony dividers that disappeared overnight. One of those really solid exterior wooden doors on the prom deck smashed to matchwood!

But in essence, I agree. She handles the seas much better than her sisters.

Regards, Colin.

Yes the sea- she can be unpredictable. I like all the three Cunarders- maybe the QM2 in the leading- because of the high ceelings- the sheer elegance- much more so after her refit last year. To be honest I liked the Chart Room in it´s first decor and apperance best. Very roomy back then- now all filled up - but still a very nice room.

Queen Camilla then first- if Charles manages to outlive his dear mother. Queen Katherine next and then... well back to QM again. LOL: Nice to spind those tales. LOL

QM2's successor will depend on whether or not there is a demand for transoceanic speeds in the future. If passengers are willing to accept 8 day or even 9 day crossings and only in warm weather months than a liner won't be needed. An enhanced cruise ship will do. The conditions of the North Atlantic, especially from September onward, was one of the arguments Payne had made to Carnival's board to justify the need for a true liner.

I often thought that Aquitania was a beautiful name for a ship.

Yes the sea- she can be unpredictable. I like all the three Cunarders- maybe the QM2 in the leading- because of the high ceelings- the sheer elegance- much more so after her refit last year. To be honest I liked the Chart Room in it´s first decor and apperance best. Very roomy back then- now all filled up - but still a very nice room.

Queen Camilla then first- if Charles manages to outlive his dear mother. Queen Katherine next and then... well back to QM again. LOL: Nice to spind those tales. LOL

Camilla, No no no you must be lolling, that would not do at all.

David

You've been lucky then.

(Big box) TVs thrown to the floor in cabins. Some of the bars looking like a war zone with hundreds of broken bottles. Smashed windows on decks seven, twelve and thirteen. Balcony dividers that disappeared overnight. One of those really solid exterior wooden doors on the prom deck smashed to matchwood!

But in essence, I agree. She handles the seas much better than her sisters.

Regards, Colin.

Dear Colin Cameron,

Would you let me (and the others) know, when and where all this happened? I have sailed the QM2 for about half a year altogether and never had the slightest problem.