passport or cards for the littles

retiredtoday

we are a family of 8 traveling to western carib. Hubby and I need to renew passports but all kids need a new one. What are the disadvantages of just getting a passport card for them. Seems like it might cost me more in passport money than the cruise!! We did buy private insurance not that that makes any difference. Just to show we are responsible parents!

There is no advantage to the card since it cannot be used to fly back (if that is your concern). It is less expensive but if the kids are under 16 it's even less expensive just to use their birth certificates. We faced the same question when we started cruising ($850 for 7 of us for passports) and decided the risk was low enough to warrant using birth certificates (especially since we were on a 4 day cruise).

There is no advantage to the card since it cannot be used to fly back (if that is your concern). It is less expensive but if the kids are under 16 it's even less expensive just to use their birth certificates. We faced the same question when we started cruising ($850 for 7 of us for passports) and decided the risk was low enough to warrant using birth certificates (especially since we were on a 4 day cruise).

I totally agree. (y)

You will get plenty of "what if" posters later.

You have to do what is comfortable for you.

Bill

I would go to the Department of State web site, and read up on what you can and can not do with a passport card. good luck.

You can use it for closed loop and open jaw cruises for Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean and you can use it at land border crossings. A birth certificate for someone under 16 does all of the above except for the open jaw cruises.

The only reason to have a passport for cruising is to be able to fly home in emergencies. (Unless you're cruising somewhere that requires it. I'm sure your 4 day does not.)

Either buy the full passports or just use their birth certificates.

The only reason to have a passport for cruising is to be able to fly home in emergencies. (Unless you're cruising somewhere that requires it. I'm sure your 4 day does not.)

Either buy the full passports or just use their birth certificates.

Agreed!!!

If your kid is injured or falls ill, I would think your concern would be getting them back to the US for treatment pronto. You can't do that with a passport card. I would get the passport.

Exceptions can be made. I would be quite surprised to learn that a minor with a BC, (or passport card), seeking medical attention travelling with a parent who has a valid passport was not allowed to fly home.

Exceptions can be made. I would be quite surprised to learn that a minor with a BC, (or passport card), seeking medical attention travelling with a parent who has a valid passport was not allowed to fly home.

I wouldn't be.

Since the regulations gives the State Department the authority to waive the passport requirements for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons I would be very surprised if an exception wasn't made.

Of course the State Department can waive passport requirements - but where do you find "the State Department" when on a cruise?

Sure, the odds are very high against ever needing a passport when just doing closed loop cruises, so you can just travel on B/C and ID. But some parents might want to invest to have zero risk - as well as to get the children passports to have if other travel ever comes up.

Since the regulations gives the State Department the authority to waive the passport requirements for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons I would be very surprised if an exception wasn't made.

The problem is that they can also NOT waive the requirement, and as navy stated, it can be difficult to get in contact with the State Dept while on a cruise. I merely stated that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't grant an exemption - you really are dealing with a 50/50 chance here....

Of course the State Department can waive passport requirements - but where do you find "the State Department" when on a cruise?

Sure, the odds are very high against ever needing a passport when just doing closed loop cruises, so you can just travel on B/C and ID. But some parents might want to invest to have zero risk - as well as to get the children passports to have if other travel ever comes up.

Yes, and some might want not to invest because the risk is low enough they are comfortable with it. Where do you find the State Department if you lose your passport while on the cruise? I would be very surprised if every port didn't have procedures in place for either eventuality given the number of tourists visiting each port.

Yes, and some might want not to invest because the risk is low enough they are comfortable with it. Where do you find the State Department if you lose your passport while on the cruise? I would be very surprised if every port didn't have procedures in place for either eventuality given the number of tourists visiting each port.

Well, then: surprise!

The procedure in St. Maarten is to contact the U S embassy in Curaçao. If you are on the other side - St. Martin - you should contact the U S embassy in Barbados.

Again, the chances are slim - but things can be difficult.

Note the phone numbers in the middle of the page. One does not necessarily have to physically appear at an embassy or consulate.

Depending here you are in ythe world, you find U.S. State Department at U.S Consulates, Embassies. Keep in mind they are not present in all cities/ ports cruise ships visit.

we are a family of 8 traveling to western carib. Hubby and I need to renew passports but all kids need a new one. What are the disadvantages of just getting a passport card for them. Seems like it might cost me more in passport money than the cruise!! We did buy private insurance not that that makes any difference. Just to show we are responsible parents!

No reason at all to get the card, it is a waste of money, unless you plan a lot of land crossings to Mexico or Canada. Form a cruising stand point it allows you to leave the BC at home, but it is no better than a BC in an emergency situation as it cannot be used fora flight back to the US.

If you are not going to get everyone passports then there is no reason to spend the money on the cards.

Note the phone numbers in the middle of the page. One does not necessarily have to physically appear at an embassy or consulate.

Do you really think you could convince a State Department staffer on an island hundreds of miles away to somehow get you a passport, or substitute documentation, rushed to you on the strength of a phone call?

Granted, the odds against your needed emergency help from the State Department are very high -- but if a real problem comes up, only an uninformed person will say - "just contact the embassy or consulate".

Do you really think you could convince a State Department staffer on an island hundreds of miles away to somehow get you a passport, or substitute documentation, rushed to you on the strength of a phone call?

Granted, the odds against your needed emergency help from the State Department are very high -- but if a real problem comes up, only an uninformed person will say - "just contact the embassy or consulate".

No. What I expect is that with the State Department's assistance (if necessary) one could get an airline to permit boarding of the minor child with just a BC or passport card, accompanied by a passport carrying adult. Entry into the US is up to the CBP once landed.