Can we be a "good tourist"

Shropshirekitkat

After reading of the recent unrest in Barcelona against mass tourism, this article is worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/16/dont-mean-ruin-your-holiday-but-europe-hates-tourists-with-good-reason-suzanne-

As a cruiser about to visit some of these places in the next few weeks, is there any way we can be a better tourist to the resorts we visit?

The link isn't working on the US side so I've reposted it here:

Don't mean to ruin your holiday but Europe hates tourists.

The resentment seems to stem from the emergence of online rental sites which has made it very easy and more profitable for landlords to rent apartments to tourists than to local residents. And of course cruise ships are a very easy anti-tourist target: they are nearby and highly visible. A protest group can get some great TV news coverage for their armada of little floating Davids as they block the path of those big Goliaths. It's really hard to protest the arrival of jetliners and trains, yet this is how other European tourists generally travel to other countries on the Continent. (And these people will be renting overnight, not the cruise ship people who visit a few hours but go back to their ship.)

Other than being respectful of the local culture and treating the locals with respect and civility there's nothing we can do if the locals don 't want us. After reading of the recent anti-tourist protests in Venice and Barcelona I would not book an itinerary to either place. Whether the local arguments are justified or not, I don't want spend time and money where my presence isn't wanted.

Edited by BlueRiband

The French have been treating tourists badly for centuries it seems, yet they still keep coming back. The Spanish and Italians would have to try really hard to come anywhere to close to the French and their petty tricks involving switching hotel rooms, bad tables at restaurants and indifferent service offered to tourists.

In Europe there is a lot going on about those protests against tourists who overwhelm those City´s and places. Some tourists may be a little overbearing - yes- BUT neither Italy nor any other " Place of interesst" for tourists could possibly do without them. They addvertise and try to lure more an more tourists like crazy- well if they don´t like " their" tourists- they should be carefull of what they wish for.

Those protesters should look a bit further then their own door- to all those Tourism places which are abandoned now because of all the unrest.

Thats is also a main reason for the sucess of the cruise lines and why more and more people go on cruises - people are afraid - and more and more so to go for landbased holiday! Beeing on board a ship one feels safe- protected and pampered.

" Everyone hates everyone" - oh no- certainly not!

It is the same here in Germany- close to the alps there is region - beautfyfull sceanery- the landlords built more and more appartments and such to lure the " Tourists " from all over Germany, Switzerland and Austria and further afield to their region- and if they do so - they complain about " all them Strangers" they have to endure ! Makes me laugh all the time I read about such happenings!

In my view you can be a "good" tourist by being polite, respecting local customs, at least attempting the local language and spending money in the local economy. Basically all the things the majority will do anyway.

In the eyes of those people protesting I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" tourist, you won't please them and I wouldn't bother trying. Nor would I let a small number of far-left or anarchist protesters put you off. If the only way they can make their point is by destroying other people's property it likely isn't a point worth listening to.

The majority of people in the areas mentioned don't hate tourists and understand that businesses rely on them. They may like to moan about tourists, but they don't support these crazed protesters who are committing acts of senseless vandalism.

Edit - I did grow up in a tourist town and the one thing I remember people complained about the most re tourists was what we reffered to as "holiday mode". This is a state of mind some people enter while on holiday that the normal rules of life don't apply and they can do things like walk across a road without looking. Try not to do this and in my view you are a good tourist.

Edited by Ben_83

In my view you can be a "good" tourist by being polite, respecting local customs, at least attempting the local language and spending money in the local economy. Basically all the things the majority will do anyway.

I agree. And would like to add spend money using the LOCAL CURRENCY. I cringe every time I see a post about "do I need to get [local currency] for our visit to [wherever]?" Yes! Except for places where USD are widely accepted (like much of the Caribbean), we get local currency. If we have some left and have to change it back later, I consider the loss part of the "cost of travel." And we try to have coffee or a snack or a local beer in a local independent business. We do not make a beeline for a Starbucks or McD's.

In the eyes of those people protesting I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" tourist, you won't please them and I wouldn't bother trying. Nor would I let a small number of far-left or anarchist protesters put you off. If the only way they can make their point is by destroying other people's property it likely isn't a point worth listening to.

The majority of people in the areas mentioned don't hate tourists and understand that businesses rely on them. They may like to moan about tourists, but they don't support these crazed protesters who are committing acts of senseless vandalism.

Edit - I did grow up in a tourist town and the one thing I remember people complained about the most re tourists was what we reffered to as "holiday mode". This is a state of mind some people enter while on holiday that the normal rules of life don't apply and they can do things like walk across a road without looking. Try not to do this and in my view you are a good tourist.

I know just what you mean! Where I live, I call it "weekend mode." Parking rules, what parking rules? Hey, it's Saturday, who cares?

I agree. And would like to add spend money using the LOCAL CURRENCY. I cringe every time I see a post about "do I need to get [local currency] for our visit to [wherever]?" Yes! Except for places where USD are widely accepted (like much of the Caribbean), we get local currency. If we have some left and have to change it back later, I consider the loss part of the "cost of travel." And we try to have coffee or a snack or a local beer in a local independent business. We do not make a beeline for a Starbucks or McD's.

Yes, I've only been to one country outside the US where USD were accepted (the Bahamas), and that was only because the Bahamian dollar was tied to the US dollar.

Yes, I've only been to one country outside the US where USD were accepted (the Bahamas), and that was only because the Bahamian dollar was tied to the US dollar.

You have obviously not been to any Carabean island where USD are gladly accepted. Once after being dropped off from the bus in Mumbai, near to The Gateway to India I got talking to a family sitting in a circle making those flower bracelets they send the children to give to tourists. When I gave them some rupees they were not at all pleased but happy when I gave USD instead.

David.

Thanks for all your replies, some very good points made throughout.

Well said Ben_83, we try hard when we are on holiday to do the things you suggested and respect the local culture, we often seek out the smaller bars and restaurants off the main tourist areas and support the locals were possible.

Very sad to hear what has happened in Barcelona today and my heart goes out to everyone affected.

A couple of thoughts here:

My wife and I, along with two other couples, were in Barcelona this past May. While the issue with AirBnB's was certainly in the news we found the local people we encounter to be extremely friendly and willing to discuss the issue in a polite informative way. I think what does cause some resentment is when tourist become inconsiderate about their impact on life in tourist sites. We noticed that Segways are no longer permitted in the Old City. With its narrow streets and large crowds, this was a good decision. It is easy to imagine the local resentment caused by hundreds of inexperienced tourist trying to operate these devices in cherished areas. So being aware of your impact on those around you is part of being a good tourist.

Also, being aware of subtle differences in cultures can help in having a positive experience in a foreign country. On our first trip to France more than 30 years ago we made a key observation. We were in a drug store looking for camera batteries. An American came in, walked up to the sales clerk and very politely asked for a bottle of Aspirin. He was treated somewhat coldly. We then saw another tourist go up to the same clerk but instead of asking for whatever it was he wanted instead opened the conversation by remarking how beautiful the flower boxes were out front. The response from the clerk (an obviously the owner) was like night and day. He could not have been more helpful and nice. So we tried it wherever we went. It was amazing how wonderfully we were treated. One more example, the first night we went out to eat and had finished our meal the waiter didn't bring the check. Our first thought was that we were being being ignored because we were American tourist. Instead, it turned out to be just the opposite. In France and in most european countries it is considered rude to present the bill as soon as the customer finishes eating (unlike some U.S. restaurants where the bill is often presented WHILE you are eating). It is assumed that the customer will want to continue to enjoy the experience of being with their friends in a nice atmosphere. Subtle differences in culture can make a big difference in enjoying the trip.

Finally, U.S. currency is widely accepted in Canada in most areas within 25 miles of the border. Imagine a Canadian trying to pass off a Loon at the local McDonalds in Detroit.

Also, remember that YOUR port tax is just that -- money that goes to the local economy -- directly to the port city. If they don't want that money, then close their ports. It is as simple as that!

As for Venice, remember that their population is quickly shrinking. Without the tourists, what would Venice become?

Also, remember that YOUR port tax is just that -- money that goes to the local economy -- directly to the port city. If they don't want that money, then close their ports. It is as simple as that!

Taxes? They aren't taxes, but a fee charged by the commercial operator of the port and end up in their P&L.

As for Venice, remember that their population is quickly shrinking. Without the tourists, what would Venice become?

A pleasant town where people actually live because every building isn't a hotel or holiday flat.

The French have been treating tourists badly for centuries it seems, yet they still keep coming back. The Spanish and Italians would have to try really hard to come anywhere to close to the French and their petty tricks involving switching hotel rooms, bad tables at restaurants and indifferent service offered to tourists.

No they haven't, at least in the last 20-30 years from our experience, unless you're absolutely wedded to the laziest of stereotypes. People who are rude to restaurant or hotel staff are just asking for trouble whether or not they speak the language.

Shropshirekikat, your question was can we be "a good tourist".

You have received many excellent responses. After reading the responses, I came away with the sense that it is not about being a good tourist, but rather being a decent human being, wherever you are and wherever you go.

Barcelona, Os queremos.

Salacia

After reading of the recent unrest in Barcelona against mass tourism, this article is worth a read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/16/dont-mean-ruin-your-holiday-but-europe-hates-tourists-with-good-reason-suzanne-

As a cruiser about to visit some of these places in the next few weeks, is there any way we can be a better tourist to the resorts we visit?

Please don't get too much concerned about what some press articles say, especially that "Europeans hate tourists". This is, as so often, totally exaggerated. by some of the press.

True is that recently the Mallorca government has taken measures to control those tourists who party at the beaches all day and all night. By no means these measures are meant to be directed against "normal" passengers.

Also true is that protests of (right wing?) citizens of Barcelona have been published recently. I am not sure what the real reason behind it is, but it could well be that it is part of a movement within the "Autonomous Community of Catalunya", of which Barcelona is the capital, to separate itself from the rest of Spain. However, this movements exists since many years and it has also proven to be impractical.

Venice is one of the most popular towns in Europe because of its beauty and its history. Tourists are coming throughout the year. The only measure I can think of is that for several years it has been discussed not to allow big ships anymore to anker within the territory. I don't know whether a final decision has been taken.

I do not know of any other serious movement against normal tourists in Europe. After all, it is an important part of business and most of the local people are proud to show foreigners the beauty of their country.

We were in Barcelona and Venice this past June and July on both ends of our QV cruise. In both places, we had wonderful conversations with locals about tourism. The main issues are cheap airfare, short-term rentals to tourists in flats that used to be low and middle-income housing, the rise of the middle class in formerly underdeveloped countries (and their desire to travel), and large cruise ships. They would like to attract tourists who spend more time, engage in activities with locals, and spend more money in the local economy. Instead, the factors mentioned above attract very short-term crowds (think weekend bachelor parties) who disrespect local customs and leave mounds of trash that must be dealt with by locals.

In both cities, they mentioned corrupt local governments hoarding cruise taxes and large corporations pushing out local merchants. The little money tourists do spend largely goes to interests outside the local economy. In both cities, we stayed three days with people who live there. Throughout the cruise, we sought out local experiences that didn't accrue back to the cruise company. For example, in Venice, we took a gondola rowing lesson from a women owned non-profit. They thanked us for spending time with them and supporting the local culture.

(Side note - to the poster who said locals are leaving Venice, it has much to do with all the factors mentioned above and, ultimately, getting priced out of their homes. They would love to stay if the conditions were more tolerable.)

We try to think of ourselves more as travelers than tourists.

I live only a few yards from a tourist attraction and just across the river from the cruise ship dock so I see, hear and interact with a lot of tourists and in particular cruise ship passengers. Overall my experiences have been pretty good but there have been occasions where I've felt like suggesting certain people should have stayed at home ...

Currency is a major irritant for many of us ... We don't take USD or credit cards! Shocking for some I know but try getting a few pounds out of an ATM ...

Don't come into a cafe and just use the bathroom without purchasing anything or just be polite enough to ask at least ...

Support the economy of the country you visit and please learn a little of the history and politics so you don't offend anyone ... I've not lived in Belfast that long but some of the totally ignorant things I've heard said by tourists this summer is pretty unbelievable.

Be respectful, be kind , treat people as you'd like to be treated and don't do the self-entitled cruiser routine and you'll be fine ...remember not everyone will like you anyway :cool:

I live only a few yards from a tourist attraction and just across the river from the cruise ship dock so I see, hear and interact with a lot of tourists and in particular cruise ship passengers. Overall my experiences have been pretty good but there have been occasions where I've felt like suggesting certain people should have stayed at home ...

Currency is a major irritant for many of us ... We don't take USD or credit cards! Shocking for some I know but try getting a few pounds out of an ATM ...

Don't come into a cafe and just use the bathroom without purchasing anything or just be polite enough to ask at least ...

Support the economy of the country you visit and please learn a little of the history and politics so you don't offend anyone ... I've not lived in Belfast that long but some of the totally ignorant things I've heard said by tourists this summer is pretty unbelievable.

Be respectful, be kind , treat people as you'd like to be treated and don't do the self-entitled cruiser routine and you'll be fine ...remember not everyone will like you anyway :cool:

As I posted earlier, I always get local currency, usually in advance of a trip. I know that it would be just about impossible to use Pounds or Euros, or even Canadian Dollars at any business where I live, so I don't expect businesses in other countries to accept my currency.

I've heard plenty of ignorant things while traveling. At Old Salem in Winston-Salem NC, a tourist asked where the witch house is. At the "museum" (back of the gift shop) at Old North Church in Boston, there's a large painting of Paul Revere's ride. I saw a woman point to it and say to her husband, "Look, the headless horseman!"