Sneaking Beer on Board

redhawk94

Not a big liquor fan, so I was wanting some tips on how to bring beer on board. Can you just unload the cans into your checked baggage or do you have to be more discreet than that. I'm going on a Carnival Cruise if that helps. Already know about the fridge pack idea. But I was thinking of something that involved a little more bulk (2 cases) spread out over four bags.

Have you watched how bags get thrown around?

They x-ray the bags. If they find your beer, they will confiscate it.

There must be a thousand threads here about smuggling alcohol on board. Can't you just purchase alcohol onboard?

Have you watched how bags get thrown around?

They x-ray the bags. If they find your beer, they will confiscate it.

There must be a thousand threads here about smuggling alcohol on board. Can't you just purchase alcohol onboard?

I've looked at a lot of those threads and they all deal with Liquor. I know I can do that, I was just wondering if anybody has ever brought Beer in large quantities on board.

Hey Redhawk94,

Don't know when you're going to cruise but have you given any thought to downsizing your cabin and with the savings, purchase beer on board? Just a thought.

Enjoy your cruise.

Barry

I've looked at a lot of those threads and they all deal with Liquor. I know I can do that, I was just wondering if anybody has ever brought Beer in large quantities on board.

Uh, no. Never have felt the need to smuggle on mass quantities of beer, or any beer at all.

I'm sure someone has.

I'm in the crowd that doesn't think it okay to ignore the rules you don't like and do as you wish. The rules apply to all of us and you clearly know you are forbidden to bring beer aboard. There is plenty of beer available on the ships, in all the bars. YOu'll have no difficulty getting all you want from bars, lounges and even room service.

Your crushed cans in your suitcase could leak all over my suitcase and wreck my things. :( It isn't okay!

Don't bother trying to bring large quantities of beer on board---when they xray the luggage, it will show up and they will call you down to the bowels of the ship to open your bags and they will take the stuff until the last night of the cruise. Better to stop at a local store near the port, purchase one six pack and put that in your carry on. They might not take that away from you, but they might do that too. Also, beer cans are not all that tough, and with the way they throw bags around on the dock, you're going to have ruined clothing when the cans crush.

......I was wanting some tips on how to bring beer on board.

I guarantee that my method works everytime, on every cruiseline. Just pop 'em and pound 'em, before you board. Carry it on internally. Makes for a very exciting sail-away, but the next morning is a little tough. :D

I haven't been on a cruise in 3 years now... (the last two years I went hiking in some of the US and Canada's national parks).

But, the last time I cruised, I simply carried them on - and didn't really go to much length to hide it.

It was a 15 day cruise to Hawaii - and I brought an 11-pack onto the boat with me ( I drank the 12th during embarkation). Walked right in with it under my shoulder - no attempt to hide.

And, at each hawaiian port, I stopped by an ABC store and picked up a 6 pack and came on the boat.

They didn't seem to care much for beer - but liquor they were more finicky about.

But - depends, I guess, on the line, and the attitudes of who is working that day.

I'm booked for a cruise this October on HAL - and I intend to bring onboard at least a 6 pack in plain view. If they stop me, then I'll either shotgun the beersl right there, or it's free-beers for the next 5 people in line.

If you're going to smuggle, bring also a brand that is most likely going to be served on the boat - MGD, Bud, Budlight, etc.

Don't bother trying to bring large quantities of beer on board---when they xray the luggage, it will show up and they will call you down to the bowels of the ship to open your bags and they will take the stuff until the last night of the cruise. Better to stop at a local store near the port, purchase one six pack and put that in your carry on. They might not take that away from you, but they might do that too. Also, beer cans are not all that tough, and with the way they throw bags around on the dock, you're going to have ruined clothing when the cans crush.

Thanks for answering. Guess I will just stick with the fridge pack Idea and only bring 10 cans on board with me. That will still save me $80.

Thanks for answering. Guess I will just stick with the fridge pack Idea and only bring 10 cans on board with me. That will still save me $80.

You can bring more then 1 fridge pack. Here's what I would suggest:

Bring an extra (big) suitcase with you. If you are flying, just ship an empty one. Once at the city of embarkation, buy your beer and soda, put the beer in the soda cases, and put all of them in the empty suitcase. Stick a luggage tag on it with your room number and walk on board. You won't have to lug all that heavy stuff around with you on ship till your room is ready and won't have to carry it right through in front of security for them to examine closely.

Honestly, we didn't bring beer on board our recent NCL cruise, but we did this just cause we are major coca cola drinkers. We put 6 fridge packs of coke in our empty suitcase, and it was delivered to our cabin with no note to go to the naughty room. So you may not even have to bother with doing the soda case switch thing. That would only come in handy if you were called to the naughty room and had to open your case for inspection.

I went on the Conquest a few weeks ago and took a case of Bud Lite 16oz plastic bottles in my checked bags. no problems.. tipped the room steward and he kept it iced all week in a cooler I carried on. The cooler would only hold 8 at a time.

Now we're getting somewhere. Didn't think about the plastic bottle idea, and I love the idea of bringing an extra suitcase with fridgepacks of coke.

What brand do you drink? The Bud Light Plastic bottles have an aluminum cap. Miller lite plastic bottles have a plastic cap. Also Carnival does not sale Bud Lite in Plastic bottle onboard so I would put them in a long neck zipper Koozie. They do sale others made by Bub in the same bottles so no one will know.

What brand do you drink? The Bud Light Plastic bottles have an aluminum cap. Miller lite plastic bottles have a plastic cap. Also Carnival does not sale Bud Lite in Plastic bottle onboard so I would put them in a long neck zipper Koozie. They do sale others made by Bub in the same bottles so no one will know.

I can do Miller Lite. With the plastic caps they should go right through in my check in bags, right.

Now we're getting somewhere. Didn't think about the plastic bottle idea, and I love the idea of bringing an extra suitcase with fridgepacks of coke.

Forgot to add. The other great benefit of the extra suitcase is packing to come home. If you accumulate a lot of stuff during the week, buy souveniers etc, you will have a nice empty suitcase to pack all of that in for easy shipment home.

I can do Miller Lite. With the plastic caps they should go right through in my check in bags, right.

I would say that is your best bet. I'm not a Miller Lite fan at all so I did the Bud and had no problems. I also ask my room steward how often does he get ask to ice down beer? He said he takes care of 16 rooms and at least one passenger every week sometimes more. also I think there is a size limit to what size of cooler you can carry on now. The one I bought was a soft side with a removable hard plastic shell on the inside(Wal-Mart). This worked out great because it did not leak.

A little funny story, I was on my way back from the room on a sea day(Beer Run) and this guy gets on the elevator carrying 4 cans of Bud Light, I said now you aren't one of those booze smugglers are you? He said hell ya, I brought on 3 18 packs. We had a good laugh.... Buy the way the 16oz Bud Lights onboard are $4.75 each or a bucket of four $19.

Many airlines now only allow one checked suitcase. If you plan to send through a bag with beer or an empty one to fill later, you will have to pay the airline in order to do that.

Save up a little more before your cruise and be a real sport..... buy your beer on the ship and follow the rules. Doesn't quite sit exactly right to pick and choose which rules you like and will follow and which you ignore. Who gets to decide how many you (or I) can ignore?

Save for a week or two longer and be a gentleman (or lady). JMHO .

Save up a little more before your cruise and be a real sport..... buy your beer on the ship and follow the rules. Doesn't quite sit exactly right to pick and choose which rules you like and will follow and which you ignore. Who gets to decide how many you (or I) can ignore?

Save for a week or two longer and be a gentleman (or lady). JMHO .

one other thing to put on the must bring/smuggle on board list that they are charging for is Green Tea Bags. If you want Green Tea the only place they had them was at the Coffee Bar(Carnival) for $4.00. each..... I wonder if we'll get those confiscated if there spotted in our bags? or do you think I should just pay $4 buck each for them too????