NG Explorer

We are looking at taking an Antarctic cruise on the NG Explorer. I see on the website that there are 7 or 8 levels of cabins which vary widely in price. I was unable to find what the differences in the rooms are on the website but maybe I missed it. Anyway we are not rich so the top end is out but can anyone say what are the differences in the types of cabins on the Explorer ?. I do not expect to spend a lot of time in the room so any recommendations are appreciated as well

I'm not sure what web site you were looking at, but if you go to the one at the link below, you'll be able to enlarge each of the deck plans and see more information about each cabin category (as well as some pictures). As on most ships, the cabins vary in size, capacity, and location (as well as portholes v. big windows v. a balcony).

https://www.expeditions.com/why-us/our-fleet/national-geographic-explorer/deck-plan/

We were in a Cat 2 on the Main Deck, and it was perfectly fine and comfortable. An Antarctic expedition is pricey enough; no reason to spend more money on a more luxurious cabin unless you want to.

You can find photos of our cabin on my blog, including at this particular post, which will also give you a bit of a feel for the ship itself:

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/life-on-board-the-explorer/

The links are good. We were in Category 1 and it was perfectly fine. The excursions, services, lectures, and dining are the same for all cabins. We chose the least expensive option as that was plenty expensive enough. I did find my way into many of the different cabins--and the crew area for the dedicated, hard-working, fun-loving Filipino staff. The quick and dirty:

Main sleeping deck

Category 1 is in the bow of the ship. Portholes. Some cabins have load-bearing posts between twin beds, others can refashion as a queen. Will have more ocean motion than the midship cabins going across the Drake.

Category 2 is basically a Category 1 in the middle of the ship with a window instead of a porthole. On our next trip, we may step up to that.

Category 3 is Category 2 + a little more square footage.

Higher decks

Category 4: Not sure why anyone would book this unless it was all that was left: I don't see the edge in paying extra to be higher-up in rough seas. Space like Category 3, give or take. No balcony.

Categories 5-6-7: Large rooms and small suites, almost all with balconies. You know, if money were no object I might like a private balcony for taking pictures in the evenings. I'd like to try that once. On the other hand, having to get out of my room made me meet more people. The staff on these trips have fascinating stories; some of the guests are also very interesting. I either found myself next to the Library or off the Lounge snapping away with the same two dozen souls every night. Great fun.

Turtles: Thanks for the links. I am going to check them out right now and am looking forward to reading your blog and the pictures. You are right about it being pricey and I agree with your logic.

Shawn: Thanks for the detailed info. Good for you for checking out the other cabins. It is an expensive trip to begin with so I think Cat 1 or 2 will be fine.

Edited by hockey9934