Walker's Crisps

ChipVA

My general rule for food (and the rule holds up very well) is that if you don't need teeth to eat it (so grits and mushy peas for example) then I won't eat it. But you do need teeth (so for example, chip butties and toad in the hole), then that's fine.

A plausible approach to the mechanics of processing food - which leaves unanswered the "why" questions of flavor, nutrition, artery blockage, etc..

2013 Queen Elizabeth. Crisps in the Commodore...

(Toad, could you, please tell me how you attach photo files at a reasonable size? All I seem to be able to attach is a tiny thumbnail---The crisps were larger than can be properly displayed in tiny photos)

(Promise: I have no grit photos to share)

1980617692_QE2013.jpg.ead81e5bac359517fb7c6afc7804acc8.jpg

(Toad, could you, please tell me how you attach photo files at a reasonable size? All I seem to be able to attach is a tiny thumbnail---The crisps were larger than can be properly displayed in tiny photos)

You need to host them on a photo sharing website. I use tinypic.com for when I only want to upload one or two photos. You get to chose the size you want as well. You don't have to be a member or anything. The only drawback is it's full of adverts and you have to type in a security answer.

Edited by Ray66

I'm adding an image off another website (i.e. not one of my pictures), as opposed to attaching a photo.

When you click on reply you should see a load of icons. If you click on the one like looks like a little yellow mountain, then you can put the the address of the picture you want. That way it shows the picture the same size as opposed to the little one when you attach it.

If you need me to explain it further then let me know and I'll try again with more detail.

Thank the lord for that - I feel queasy just thinking about grits !!

attachment.php.jpg?t=1440277914

Your picture needs to be put into a photo sharing website that will create a URL for it. That URL will be pasted into the little yellow post card above the reply text box.

Capture.jpg

That will then embed the picture into your reply. Don't use full size pictures, put the settings on medium or else the pictures become HUGE and won't fit on a computer screen without scrolling.

I thought you folks may be talking about potato chips, both Lays and Pringles are American brands, I prefer Lay's ... in California we are able to get a "low salt " variety which is excellent. Have not found them in Florida when I have taken cruises.

I know that when we were on the Queen Victoria, we ordered sandwiches from Room Service and requested extra potato chips...(enjoy the chips with a drink in the cabin) they were not home made. Don't know what brand they were using, but what we had was pretty standard potato chips we would get anywhere in the USA. We did a TA from Florida and a Mediterranean out of Rome, chips seemed the same on both.

When we go on the QM2 in September I will have to check out what is served in the bar...

I thought you folks may be talking about potato chips, both Lays and Pringles are American brands, I prefer Lay's ... in California we are able to get a "low salt " variety which is excellent. Have not found them in Florida when I have taken cruises.

I know that when we were on the Queen Victoria, we ordered sandwiches from Room Service and requested extra potato chips...(enjoy the chips with a drink in the cabin) they were not home made. Don't know what brand they were using, but what we had was pretty standard potato chips we would get anywhere in the USA. We did a TA from Florida and a Mediterranean out of Rome, chips seemed the same on both.

When we go on the QM2 in September I will have to check out what is served in the bar...

Please do not bring Pringles into this discussion on chips/crisps- you will invite derision from our British brethren. Pringles are neither chips nor crisps; they are dismal, uniform, warped-disc shaped aggregations of potato powder with who-knows-what chemical additives.

Definitely Kettle Chips in Chart Room and Grills lounge. I observed one of the staff bringing half a dozen large bags through the lounge. I asked our server in the Chart Room and he told us they were Kettle Chips. This was last week on QM2.

Please do not bring Pringles into this discussion on chips/crisps- you will invite derision from our British brethren. Pringles are neither chips nor crisps; they are dismal, uniform, warped-disc shaped aggregations of potato powder with who-knows-what chemical additives.

Good description of that stuff in cans.

Just off the Queen Victoria and the potato chips/crisps served on board were good, and would describe them similar to kettle chips here in the United States. The french fries on the back Lido deck were so-so and the chips with the fish and chips in the pup were much better!:) Sad to be done with the cruise.

I agree you, about Pringles, actually someone else mentioned them initially, which helped me confirm the discussion was over potato chips, since I am not familiar with the crisp term.

My husband is now hooked. We didn't know they made them on board. Wait, are we talking about the crisps served with cocktails in the Golden Lion?

If you read my post #31 you will see I know they do not make crisps on board for all the bars. I spent 118 days on QE and saw for myself the bags of Kettle crisps they serve in the Golden Lion. Since my post #31 I have had full confirmation from another person that they were/are Kettle crisps that my husband and his Golden Lion lunch time drinking pals ate daily for 118 days. Yes, they were hooked as well:D

• 3 years later...
Following this thread:

Walkers Crisps sound intriguing. I know Chips (particularly in Belgium) can be delicious…

But, after looking up "chip butty" you have lost me!

(I notice no photo of that delicacy was provided by Toad---probably for good reason).

Is it possible that chip butty would best be paired with Pol Acker???

walkers crispd are nice,im gonna make sure i have plenty and some golden wonder cheese and onion,i dont like kettle chips.i dont think id be able to go a full week without proper crisps,gonna miss my chip butty too,its a shame they dont have an english chippy onboard

8687991-traditional-english-chip-sandwich-isolated-on-white.jpg

They are always made with white bread, never brown, and normally bog-standard white sliced.

The bread is buttered, but I myself make them with un-buttered bread.

But how anyone from a country that eats grits can abuse any form of food is beyond me !! One look at grits is enough to make me heave up.

that lookd horrible i prefer my chip butty on a white t cake,if u go to manchester they call them chip barms and if u go down to london they havnt got a clue

what flovour are they please