Transatlantic Weather

mikeee1133

Typical weather in the North Atlantic is variable at any time. Unless there's a hurricane following you (and Erica isn't going to be a problem for the northeast or out to sea), it should be pretty good this time of year. That said, I've had a roller-coaster ride in July one time and a boringly smooth crossing in July another year.

It's often foggy and can be a little bouncy off the Grand Banks. And it's windy on deck, partly due to winds and partly due to the motion of the ship, so prepare for it to feel cooler on deck than it would be on land.

We've made three (or maybe four) crossings in September with nice weather once and BEAUTIFUL weather twice. I mention this so you realize BEAUTIFUL (warm, sunny, wearing shorts) weather is very possible.

But, who knows about weather? It's like asking if it will rain on 4th of July. Some years it does and some years it doesn't. The fact that is hasn't for 14 years in a row tells nothing about what to expect next 4th of July

It's also quite a distance across the Atlantic. Weather one day out from NY and weather one day from reaching Southampton are geographically distant and influenced by different factors.

There is a great US website I found with wave report that (with multiple September crossings) we thought interesting---wondering about Hurricane effects. But aboard the QM2 we never experienced any rough weather or large waves in September. During a later time in autumn crossing, the ship could have found taller waves, but obviously navigated in a manner to avoid. Realize that they have that option--rough weather can be and is avoided.

I can't guarantee you will use, but I would pack the shorts and sunscreen.

If your weather isn't sunny, plenty to do indoors on the QM2.

Have a wonderful voyage!

Jimmybean

Edited by jimmybean

A girlfriend and I are on this cruise. Weather projections suggest it might be hot in NYC for departure, but can any of you tell us what would be typical weather in London in mid-September when we arrive? We are spending three days in London (at The Goring, no less -- tee hee!) and need to pack for that portion of our trip.

A girlfriend and I are on this cruise. Weather projections suggest it might be hot in NYC for departure, but can any of you tell us what would be typical weather in London in mid-September when we arrive? We are spending three days in London (at The Goring, no less -- tee hee!) and need to pack for that portion of our trip.

English weather, like weather on the North Atlantic, is unpredictable and can change several times in the course of a day. In London, the average high is mid-September is about 67F (20C) and the average low 55F (13C). Be prepared for sun, clouds, and rain in no particular order.