Alcohol policy

mum2bowie

I believe that is why they let you bring your own and charge the corkage fee which we are just fine with. I QUOTE]

I doubt very few who bring wine aboard have any intention of taking it to the dining room and shelling out the corkage fee. It's for imbibing in private, in cabin, in or out of the shower.

David.

I would be interested in taking on board good quality white wines and paying the corkage fee in the dining room but how do you get them cold enough? Are the room fridges big enough to take bottles and would they chill it to the right temperature? In my experience, the fridges in cabins are not particularly useful; perhaps it's better to stick to reds?

I believe that is why they let you bring your own and charge the corkage fee which we are just fine with. I QUOTE]

I doubt very few who bring wine aboard have any intention of taking it to the dining room and shelling out the corkage fee. It's for imbibing in private, in cabin, in or out of the shower.

David.

We take it to the dining room. Although you've given me a good idea with the shower.

Are the room fridges big enough to take bottles and would they chill it to the right temperature? In my experience, the fridges in cabins are not particularly useful; perhaps it's better to stick to reds?

The fridges will take 3 bottles of wine or champagne, plus you can request a bucket of ice.

Edited by BigMac1953

I would be interested in taking on board good quality white wines and paying the corkage fee in the dining room but how do you get them cold enough? Are the room fridges big enough to take bottles and would they chill it to the right temperature? In my experience, the fridges in cabins are not particularly useful; perhaps it's better to stick to reds?

The Wine is stored in your dining room Cellar which is temperature controlled ALL Wines Red or White should be stored at a Temperature of between 45f & 60f Reds should be taken out of the Cellar 1 hour before opening & Whites as close to consumption as possible, No wine should be allowed to reach a Temperature of 84f as that will make the Wine undrinkable.

I would be interested in taking on board good quality white wines and paying the corkage fee in the dining room but how do you get them cold enough?

The fridge is probably too cold for white wine storage at round 4 to5 c. White wine needs around 8 to 10c though cheaper ones could possibly be ok a little lower so a short time in the fridge should be the way to go.

Some people think white should be icy cold. Not so, they might as well drink Fanta.

David.

The fridge is probably too cold for white wine storage at round 4 to5 c. White wine needs around 8 to 10c though cheaper ones could possibly be ok a little lower so a short time in the fridge should be the way to go.

Some people think white should be icy cold. Not so, they might as well drink Fanta.

David.

Agree!

David.

I disagree. I believe the majority who bother to bring wine aboard DO take most of it to the sommelier and are quite accepting of the current corkage charge in the restaurants. Certainly a glass of champagne, a G&T or whatever is enjoyable to take in the cabin and balcony - but one practise does not preclude the other. Freedom of choice really.

At least in our case, Runaway is absolutely right. We can easily drive to the ship and park, so carrying on some wine is no big deal. I've seen lots of folks with lots more luggage than we tote, including the wine bag.

We have always thought of the QM2 in particular, as a special destination in its self. We enjoy dressing up for dinner (although we hardly bring 20+ cases of clothing like some do). John will go to our wine shop and choose special wines we wouldn't normally think about drinking at home, but are a special treat on the QM2. Even with the corkage fee, we couldn't come close to purchasing them on board. Remember you're throwing in a 15% service fee, no matter what your order from the standard wine list. A 20$ corkage fee is somewhat of a bargin for pricier wines.

We drop off the wine bag with the wine steward in the afternoon. White wines are chilled in their holding area and when we ask for a red, if it needs to be decanted or needs special treatment, he takes care of it. Asking for a particular wine at lunch, means it will be ready for dinner.

At least in our case, Runaway is absolutely right. We can easily drive to the ship and park, so carrying on some wine is no big deal. I've seen lots of folks with lots more luggage than we tote, including the wine bag.

We have always thought of the QM2 in particular, as a special destination in its self. We enjoy dressing up for dinner (although we hardly bring 20+ cases of clothing like some do).

Now I have no problem with anyone taking any amount of wine on board.

I do not drink wine EVER! So no need to carry it on, and this leaves more room for other things.

Our suitcases are usually full of clothes as we like to dress up just like you do.

I am probably one of the people you mention who takes 20 suitcases onboard, as we are usually doing a world cruise and not just a crossing.

20 plus suitcases on a world cruise is pretty average going for most world cruisers. :)

(Giggle!)

I certainly did not mean any disrespect in mentioning loads of luggage! One of the nice things about driving vs flying to a port is that we don't have to weigh out luggage! If we want to buy that "little extra thing" we don't have to worry about weight!

Maybe someday we'll be able to afford a world cruise....would LOVE that and then maybe we'll have 20+ cases of clothes and a couple of cases of wine! Happy sailing!

(Giggle!)

I certainly did not mean any disrespect in mentioning loads of luggage! One of the nice things about driving vs flying to a port is that we don't have to weigh out luggage! If we want to buy that "little extra thing" we don't have to worry about weight!

Maybe someday we'll be able to afford a world cruise....would LOVE that and then maybe we'll have 20+ cases of clothes and a couple of cases of wine! Happy sailing!

Hi Mudhen, did not see your post as disrespectful at all. Just wanted to point out why some of us have 20 suitcase. :) Mine are mainly for my shoes. I think one is for my Husbands things. :D

Enjoy your time on QM2. I am jealous you live so close to be able to drive there. I have to fly to the Uk or anywhere else to board Cunard ships. ( I live in the Eastern Med) Such a hassle at times, but worth it in the end.:)

We always take around half a dozen Widows for the room, although on one occasion, we brought one with us to the TE. We gave the sommelier the choice: corkage or tip. He chose the tip.

Stewart

Will somebody please tell me what a "Widow" is? Hopefully it is a drink; the literal interpretation boggles the mind...

Thank you Mudhen. I'd seen the term in a few posts and couldn't figure out exactly what the person was saying.

Um, you aren't from Delaware or a University of Delaware graduate, are you?

No....why? BTW, "The Widow" is wonderful!

My alma mater's football team, the University of Delaware, are called the Blue Hens. Our enemies call us the Mud Hens.

Then we beat them and take the conference championship. Just not since 2010 though.

We sometimes call ourselves the Mud Hens just to rub it in.

And, I just happen to have a bottle of Veuve Clicquot in my downstairs refrigerator.

We need to get Stewart to tell us how he gets 6 bottles on wine to look like one bottle...

Charlie